Drage Airworld

Tim E

Wondering if anyone would like to share their memories of visits to Drage Airworld here in Wangaratta here a few years ago..what they saw, what they remember..any aircraft that stand out in your memories? Is the collection fairly scattered now or still together? :)

Not sure on that..Know Council had a lot to do with the airport and with funding the Drage part in some way....the collection I'm not too sure about who actually owned the collection?

But Precision is there now and flourishing from what I hear? And making a great contribution to local economy and employment and making some great craft?

Visited DAW 3 times over the years, I believe it was a Council initiative having purchased the Drage collection ??, but visitor numbers fell away when the Hiway was re-routed. On one visit I took video "walkaround" of everything there. Top spot.

Was. Classic Wings handled the aircraft dispersal sales.

Could put that VHS tape footage onto a DVD if anyone interested.

Yes you were correct with the Council. I remember the great debate in its early and later years over the funding and $..had forgotten though about the freeway impact..

I remember taking visitors out there who loved it too. Is it possible to upload the video..yes I would definitely be interested.thanks..appreciated. Tim :D

visited DAW 3 times over the years. It was an initiative of the local Council to purchase the Drage collection, and operate the museum facility.

When the Hiway got re-routed visitor numbers fell off. and the economics fell over. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The collection dispersal was handled by Classic Wings, and most stuff went to good homes, for restoration and rebuild... to fly again ??

On one visit I did a VHS video "walkround" covering everything there at that time. Could put onto DVD if anyone interested.

Glad to see that the Stinson Tri-motor replica went to the Bernard O'Reilly museum, up in the Border Ranges.

Would love to visit there again... and get a completely different eyeful!

Warbirds galore, Precision Aerospace.

Good the craft got good homes.

I have fond memories of my mother telling me the story of Bernard O'Reilly finding the crashed craft in the ranges where no one else was looking...it was a Stinson weasn't it..and there were survivors. He wrote a book didn't he.."Green Hills and Cullenbenbong"?

• 12 years later...

I went there a few times when the museum was open and in my opinion it was a top notch display. It also used to be a stop over for Deluxe Coaches. On my one and only bus trip from Melbourne to Sydney we stopped there and the quick tour of the museum was a welcome distraction to the monotony of the trip. I have photos somewhere (the old fashioned printed type!) but no video.

A quick plug for Precision Airmotive who now occupy the museum hangar - Doug and the team are a highly professional bunch who keenly support aviation of all types. I recently undertook a instrument upgrade on my Xenos and Doug provided hangar space and access to his team to design the new dash on CAD and then cut it out on their water jet cutter (for a reasonable price). They were very tolerant and assisted with advice, equipment and consumables while I muddled through the process. Great to be sharing hangar space with the likes of the Electra, P40, FW190, Grumman Goose etc. I believe Doug is amenable to people having a look at what is in the hangar so long as prior contact and appointment is made. Keep in mind that this is a business and no longer a museum, so no photos/video are allowed and no "drop-ins".

• Like 1

Probably there four times at least in both "modes"of use. Interesting place always. One of the Original Drages used to ride a Veteran Excelsior with us on some of our old bike runs in the area. You might be able to organise a Kittyhawk ride for yourself at times. Or a Ryan with a Kinner Radial engine. The AVIATION Museum had a lot of stuff I had experience with. Made me feel OLD (even then) Nev

• Like 1

I recall going for a tiger moth flight in that same area in about 1981. I think the pilot's name was Di Simpson?? Anyone recall?

We went for a Tiger ride some time in the eighties. The female pilot I don’t recall her name, was subbing on for her partner who had health issues. Good fun it was too.

Correct , south to the cutting at the Hume Hwy, along the range north then approach Wang YWGT from the north landing on the grass of course. True flying that started my liking for tail draggers.

Flew to WANG with a mate and his wife one time to visit Airworld. I couldn't make it off the tarmac through the childproof gate! I'd never seen one before, had no clue how to open it. Georgina came to the rescue!

• Haha 1