dykedelta jd2

jeffd

hi all i was reading on a site from america that there is supposedly a dykedelta jd2 delta wing being constructed in australia .was wondering if any1 out there in the aviation world new of its location thanks.jeff

News to me, just hope it's not in reference to my EagleRay dream that was based on the JD2.[ATTACH]34438[/ATTACH]

What's the story on your new avatar/blue plane Doug?

I am working on a variant of Hugh Lorimer's Sgian Dubh.

79523076_Hughplan.jpg.ea649eacf8038b58cdf679f2d30c7010.jpg

Mine will, if built, have a slightly wider and taller cockpit, retractable gear and a larger engine. Hugh has been very helpful and is eager to see it fly as his own plane will be fore-ever grounded. Apparently there's some dispute between him and the authorities in Scotland, plus he now has Parkinson's Disease.

• Like 1

And sorry, but Scottish referendum was a no ... the regs on aircraft in the UK are UK wide ... and all single seat 300kg MTOW can take to the sky with just a builder/owner declaration at registration - not even a weighing!. If there is an issue with 'authorities' in Scotland its nothing to do with it being permitted to to fly.

All I know is that he said he doesn't like to be told what to do or what he could do. Really, I'm as much in the dark as you. His first plane flew

plane flew OK, not sure about his last. Looking for a link to Hugh for you and came across this:

http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=15&m=118639

Hope it answers some questions.

Yeah I know about that thread ... I was active on that forum and a member director of the BMAA at that time.

Basically when he designed and built it there was no deregulated in the UK so Hugh was up against FULL Section S compliance ... never going to happen with a very strong minded individual and the tech office at that time

Years later (before the thread you link to) initial single seat deregulation came in for the UK BUT Hughs plane was over weight for that single seat dereg (115kg empty) BUT since then ALL 300kg MTOW single seaters went deregulated so the issue that the thread spoke of disappeared several years ago.

The main stumbling block as I understand it from Kev A is that Hugh is getting on and not in the best health. Last I heard Kev was looking for a donor engine to fit to allow it to be displayed - not flown - so I think the original is unlikely to see flight in its own right.

I have the drawings for the little beasty somewhere at home, lots of woodwork but a nice looking plane

Thanks for that info Kasper. Nice to know more details. I have photos of Hugh display with his borrowed engine. Hugh aside, are you saying that with the right engine, borrowed or not, his plane could now fly in the UK?

What info do you have on the 'wood work'? His plans are far from detailed, hence my contacting him for advice. At times, he seems reluctant to answer my emails, perhaps because I'm altering his design, though he says not.

1197177786_006Fullmodeltopiso.jpg.09ee89713a26a612a601b991e7e99839.jpg

Luggage paniers fitted (just a dream, probably be too heavy) and fixed gear option.

PS, I don't think Hugh has a PPL so some-one else would have to fly his planes.

2031714476_008Fullmodelrearquarter.jpg.3b5858dd4e9e6e7bfd24b8264332083a.jpg

1226152579_001Fullmodeltop2D.jpg.5509e4adf977361d87a1e2c420944a7c.jpg

1609290646_005Fullmodelsideelevation.jpg.fb0d464633d8a7acb41f172c62ed2c08.jpg

1662841243_002Fullmodelfrontview.jpg.da081fc4972fb9625d8a5886b475163e.jpg

• Informative 1