Dynon D1 Fatal Error

431868817_Dynonfatalerror.jpg.831945479600b2484adb93b796380c07.jpg

The Dynon stopped working mid flight with this message. Turning on/off and trying to upload an update didn't achieve anything. Searched the Dynon Forum to find someone else had this problem in 2013 which Dynon thought was a hardware problem. I sent them an email:-

Hello from Australia.

I have a D1. Yesterday it stopped working and showed this screen. I could not dismiss it. The flight continued OK, but on the ground I could not solve it. I downloaded the update to a 32MB SD card, installed till it clicked, but it would not pick it up, it was a used Card, so I am going to buy a new one to try that. This screen continues to show shortly after turning on.

I looked at the discussion forum to see a similar problem Dynon Avionics Forum - D1-Startup problem which looked like a hardware problem, but that was from 2013. Is there any solution?

Dynon Support replied:- If the update doesn't fix it I am afraid there isn't much to do. We no longer have parts for the D1 and likely can not fix it. If you want we can get it back here to see if we can get it going, just can't promise we can fix it.

As Dynon are in the USA we have not tried sending it back. Anyone with any ideas?

Sue

Sue it might be time to ditch the unreliable old relic.OzRunways give fantastic backup for their product, which costs bugger-all, is local and relevant, and keeps getting better.

Whats ozrunways got to do with a D1 ? Got me very confused !

• Agree 1

Dynons last software upgrade for a D1 was 13/12/2016. While the D1 was their entry level EFIS and a stand alone product with no connections it is pretty poor that they no longer have any parts less than 2 years after the last upgrade. The D2 replaced the D1 in late 2013 & was pretty much the same except for adding WiFi connectivity & a second screen with a Gmeter

• Like 1

Whats ozrunways got to do with a D1 ? Got me very confused !

Sorry, Camel. I presumed Sue's Dynon was just a Navigator, but after investigation, it seems to also provide a bit more info than OzRunways currently does.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Dynons last software upgrade for a D1 was 13/12/2016. While the D1 was their entry level EFIS and a stand alone product with no connections it is pretty poor that they no longer have any parts less than 2 years after the last upgrade. The D2 replaced the D1 in late 2013 & was pretty much the same except for adding WiFi connectivity & a second screen with a Gmeter

At Oshkosh this year, Dynon announced a new D3 which comes with synthetic vision and is expected to cost under $1K USD.

Do the chips in modern electronics have a count down timer set to render the hardware useless after a pre-defined life span. Be good for business and dead simple to add into the firmware, and who would ever know.

• Agree 2

memory chips have a limited life you can only read and write to them so many times. in this case it looks like it just needs reflashing

Shouldn't the last version of firmware still be available to re-flash rather than just say D2 is in the market and D3 is soon to be released. The throw away tech mentality is out of control. I will replace my Samsung android phone after the 5G models are released, not before, but several crook firmware upgrades have tried to take it out ahead of schedule. Funny how their first response is always, "It is more than two years old, time you had a new one!".

• Agree 1

Shouldn't the last version of firmware still be available to re-flash rather than just say D2 is in the market and D3 is soon to be released. The throw away tech mentality is out of control. I will replace my Samsung android phone after the 5G models are released, not before, but several crook firmware upgrades have tried to take it out ahead of schedule. Funny how their first response is always, "It is more than two years old, time you had a new one!".

At least steam gauges do not have these kinds of built-in obsolescence attributes ...or "internal countdown timer" as you say.

For aircraft not flown all that frequently (but intending to be owned for many years) it may in fact be better to have the majority of instruments as steam gauges. The 1955 Piper Super Cub I did some training in a few years back probably still had all or most of the original gauges in place 55+ years after they were installed. I can't imagine the Dynon D3 will match that.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't buy a samsung phone to be honest, Dynon are trying to get costs down, its a shame they aren't offering a fix.

Dynon must see the threat of mobile devices..... (a sensor unit wified to a tablet/phone)

I'm not sure where they will head. Either join the pack or head in a more "certified" direction.....?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a D2 for 3 years, the first one had a faulty sensor, it was replaced under warranty after a lot of to and froing, the replacement worked, but the screen was not readable in bright whiteout type conditions, you know when there is low sun and poor viz with little to no horizon, somehow I never trusted it and I wouldnt buy anything from Dynon again they seem to be happy to blame problems on the user

I had a D2 for 3 years, the first one had a faulty sensor, it was replaced under warranty after a lot of to and froing, the replacement worked, but the screen was not readable in bright whiteout type conditions, you know when there is low sun and poor viz with little to no horizon, somehow I never trusted it and I wouldnt buy anything from Dynon again they seem to be happy to blame problems on the user

I’ve also had my D2 for 3 years and had a problem after 1 year where it was very slow finding satellites.

Dynon advised this was a problem in Asia and Australia and fixed it with a firmware update.

No problems since.

You can adjust the screen brightness in the settings and i usually have mine up full!

Dynon must see the threat of mobile devices..... (a sensor unit wified to a tablet/phone)I'm not sure where they will head. Either join the pack or head in a more "certified" direction.....?

A Samsung or Eyephone tablet connected to a sensor unit seems to be increasingly a viable alternative to Dynon. There more and more tablets that are Daylight Visible.

That begs the question: Who makes a good sensor unit for tablet devices?

• Agree 1

Certainly not the tablet manufacturer. They are made to a price & mostly the sensors are sh!t. Even iphone sensors are sh!t although they cost infinitely more than anything else. That's how Apple is worth more than a trillion dollars.