Eastwood Tyro II Info

Is Geoffs website totally and completely out of date? On there, the contact is Goolwa Airport. The webpage is dated 2011, and the home page does say the information supplied is now out of date.

Seems strange, that you would still keep a website going, that is out of date? Why wouldn't you just update it? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Tyro MKII Ultralight

Mate, I have a perfectly good example to sell. It's a reluctant sale as I'd like to keep but can't afford to hanger two planes; the Jabiru and the Tyro.

Rotax 503DCDI

Great little flyer 10-3654 is at Portland and reasonably priced.

Paul

Mate, I have a perfectly good example to sell. It's a reluctant sale as I'd like to keep but can't afford to hanger two planes; the Jabiru and the Tyro.Rotax 503DCDI

Paul

But the freight to Texas might make it a little unaffordable...

Mate, I have a perfectly good example to sell. It's a reluctant sale as I'd like to keep but can't afford to hanger two planes; the Jabiru and the Tyro.Rotax 503DCDI

Paul

While I wouldn't mind a complete bird, as has been stated, the shipping would be a bit harsh...

However, thanks for the offer! :)

What a great little machine for economy in build, and flying cost!

Note that the Tyro II design is copyrighted by Mr Eastwood, and you can only get a set of plans by purchasing the Tyro kit. The plans and kit are only available for sale to Australian buyers and users.

EDIT - I have now seen the above post from challenger_i, and note that Mr Eastwood is no longer supplying plans or kits.

Robert Shaw of QLD has a Tyro for sale - plus an excellent flying video on YouToob. Robert comes across as a builder and aviator of particular skill, and attention to detail.

Must be the first time I've seen virtually all courteous comments on a YouToob video, and even more courteous replies from Robert Shaw.

Roberts Tyro is VW 1600 powered, just a plain automotive engine modified to take a prop. I'm surprised the weight penalty of the standard VW engine didn't tip this thing over the limit.

I think I would have done a little more aviation-style modification to the engine, but Robert appears to have quite a reliable rig - and he clearly articulates his justification for using the standard VW engine in the video comments.

Must say, I do like his fancy exhaust system with the designed-in, additional thrust! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=4713

Geoff Eastwoods website states the following ...

"The Original Tyro first flew in 1981, the result of 4 years research and development by GEOFF EASTWOOD for an aircraft to operate under the Australian A.N.O. 95-10 for ultra-light aircraft."

On the basis of that statement, one has to presume that Geoff Eastwood owns the design and the copyright.

Now I'm a bit confused by this. The Tyro looks very similar to Mike Whittaker's MW series of aircraft (in the UK), which were also designed around 1980... and I thought I remember one of his designs being called a Tyro!

What's the story?

Now I'm a bit confused by this. The Tyro looks very similar to Mike Whittaker's MW series of aircraft (in the UK), which were also designed around 1980... and I thought I remember one of his designs being called a Tyro!What's the story?

You won't find a lot of difference between the Eastwood Tyro and Col Winton's Jackeroo and his Cricket and then there's Werner Becker's Blue Max and quite a bunch of others. I think Winton was the first to use the general concept (apart from Demoiselle of course) - but using the Alcan rectangular 6061 T6 section for the fuselage.

After a while John McCarron took the general design and got Bill Whitney to engineer it carefully and they came up with the Bush Cocky, a very much more refined version.

The Thruster and the Kestrel are others that came about in the same era and which are loosely similar, not that any of them, except John McCarron, would admit to knowing of any of the others prior.

Hi Head InThe Clouds,

Any chance you can put me in contact with John McCarron. We need a cheap way to get people flying again!

Ray tol at tpg dot com dotau

Ray - It seems John McCarron gets lots of mentions in the Watts Bridge aviation pages. I've gathered he lives at Somerset Dam, and White Pages lists a phone number for a J McCarron living at Somerset Dam.

• 7 months later...

Paul

Paul

Hi Paulj

I was wondering if your tyro mk2 is still for sale

I would be interested in buying it if its still in good condition and wouldnt take too much work to get airworthy again

thanks

• 1 year later...

Mate, I have a perfectly good example to sell. It's a reluctant sale as I'd like to keep but can't afford to hanger two planes; the Jabiru and the Tyro.

Rotax 503DCDI

Paul

i realise this is an old ad Paul, but is this plane still for sale by anychance?

keen for more details if it is

cheers mate

heath