Electro.Aero

farri

I was looking for any information I could find on an Electric engine/motor system that could suit the Drifter, found this and thought it was worth posting for others interested in Electric Aircraft... In no way am I promoting Electro.Aero.... Moderators remove, if this can be seen as Commercial Advertising!

https://www.electro.aero/index.php/en/

Looks promising.  No warm up and you could assume it would be a very low maintenance thing. No noise no smell no vibration. no premix to mix and go off no water drain. Cover your plane in glue on PV and stay up there forever ( except night time).  Nev

When Electric Aircraft were first mentioned on here, I was skeptical and didn`t think it would happen in my lifetime! Now I`m beginning to get excited that I may be able to go electric on the Drifter in the not too distant future! Here`s hoping!!!

I would stay up there forever if I could but realistically! I`ll be happy with one hour and a bit to spare! at this stage, I`ll even settle for half an hour!!!

Franco.

Much as I love the Drifter, who needs the airframe if you're going to go electric?

This would be an awesome toy, just add a ballistic parachute in case things go awry and what a heap of fun you could have. With the auto-stabilisation systems developed for drones it would be incredibly easy to fly and totally intuitive. As good as a small helicopter at 1/10 the price -

ElectroAero.thumb.png.10d2478de6411fc64f2e2dbbcea577f5.png

EDIT - and for anyone interested in ultralight electric conversions there's a great Facebook Group called ultra-electric: do it yourself electric ultralight conversion just click on the link and then request to join the group. They'll join you up in about 24 hrs or less and there's a wealth of info about everything aero-electric for the enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

And then there's this -

Or this, which would probably scale up rather well, into a VTOL with speed and range -

And then there's ... well the list is endless, from outright crazy to brilliantly high-tech state-of-the-art. It's well worth joining the group if you want to tease yourself about the possibilities.

• Like 1

Much as I love the Drifter, who needs the airframe if you're going to go electric?

Yeah! But I want to be able do what I do in the Drifter and it`s twin seat! I can`t see either of those two "toys" being able to do what I want, I do agree though, they would be great fun, but ultimately, at what cost... I don`t have a money tree!

Thank you very much for the link, I wasn`t aware of it! I will join.

Franco.

When Electric Aircraft were first mentioned on here, I was skeptical and didn`t think it would happen in my lifetime! Now I`m beginning to get excited that I may be able to go electric on the Drifter in the not too distant future! Here`s hoping!!!

I would stay up there forever if I could but realistically! I`ll be happy with one hour and a bit to spare! at this stage, I`ll even settle for half an hour!!!

Franco.

Hi Franco

My rough calculations, 30 min flight in your 503 drifter at 60% power (26kw /35hp) would require a 13 kwh battery weighing 

82 kg. The electric motor might be lighter than the 503 but I don't think we are there yet. As you say 30 mins in a Drifter or Thruster is plenty of fun on the farm.

• Like 1

Hi Franco

My rough calculations, 30 min flight in your 503 drifter at 60% power (26kw /35hp) would require a 13 kwh battery weighing 

82 kg. The electric motor might be lighter than the 503 but I don't think we are there yet. As you say 30 mins in a Drifter or Thruster is plenty of fun on the farm.

The very bottom line! I don`t want to give flying away, won`t be long I`ll need a refurbishment, if electric is possible and affordable, at this stage, it`s the way I`d like to go...82 kg battery would pretty much restrict the Drifter to single seat but I could live with that... 30 minutes flight time? well! it`s only got to get me up there,I know my way home... cost? don`t want to go back to a Rotax 582 so if the cost of "electric" is reasonable and acceptable to me, then that`s what it will be...Here`s hoping!

Legal Requirements? Well! that`s another story.

Franco,

Ps, I`ve been accepted into the "Ultra-Electric, do it yourself electric Ultralight conversion", facebook group!

• Like 2

I read somewhere  ( may have been the twin electric Lazair) that they were surprised with flight times and endurance, which were something like 30% better than expected/calculated.

They believed most of this was from decent in a glide which used zero power.

I can't remember if they somehow locked the motor/prop or left it windmilling (perhaps IFA or folding).

Whatever it was, it also reduced drag.

Couldn't they use the props to recharge the batteries in a glide?  Kind of like regenerative braking on an electric car.

Yes, that's been done. Just needs the right electrics, charging parameters etc.

I guess you need to look at how much drag it causes as well.

The overall "gain" differential between regen charging and folding/feathering props probably needs to be calculated.

It maybe overall more efficient to not have regen charging (weight/wiring/electronics) but have folding or feathered props.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  You could have freewheeling props. If you use the prop for regenerative purposes you will come down quicker. You can't have a best glide  AND derive power.  Nev

Probably over time you’ll have options from the pilots seat. For instance, instead of side slipping you might feed in some regen. I think that electric plane in WA has regen...

For just short periods it's not of great significance and it may effect the controls that are in the propwash, if you use it as an airbrake. Also the prop's airfoil section is not made for using in the opposite sense efficiently. The best efficiency if you are a bit high on the descent is to increase the glide speed especially if you are in to wind and the airframe and conditions are suitable.  Use your extra energy (of position)  that way and reduce flight time. Nev

And 

NOW the Silent Harley

"The Harley-Davidson LiveWire electric motorcycle. Built in collaboration with Panasonic Automotive,

it can go from 0-60 mph in under 3.5 seconds and requires no gear shifting."

Each time one ROARS past, us oldies will be checking our Hearing-Aid batteries. LoL

spacesailor

ElectricHarly.jpg.ce405bd630efcfda897d3acc49f74072.jpg

For just short periods it's not of great significance and it may effect the controls that are in the propwash, if you use it as an airbrake. Also the prop's airfoil section is not made for using in the opposite sense efficiently. The best efficiency if you are a bit high on the descent is to increase the glide speed especially if you are in to wind and the airframe and conditions are suitable.  Use your extra energy (of position)  that way and reduce flight time. Nev

Nevertheless that plane in WA has regen. Pipistrel or something?

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2018/01/electric-aircraft-takes-off/

• 2 weeks later...