Engine Swap - doing own maintenance

I am looking at buying a ‘19’ registered aircraft which currently has an automotive engine in it. I would like to replace the engine with another automotive engine which I rebuilt myself. Would this allow me to carry out my own maintenance? I am a qualified engine rebuilder.

RE

Hate to say it but talk to RAAus tech office. Under the current rules you may not be allowed to fly the airframe after the change until your airframe has been inspected and cleared for flight and that may include a full new test period with limited ops criteria.

The 19 reg airframes not built by the current owner cannot be modified anywhere near as easily as they should be but hey we are the new GA

Ok. I read the post as different type of auto engine.

If it’s like for like with NO change in the fit - same accessories, restive type etc - then any L1 can do it BUT you still need an L4 countersigned inspection before the solo test flight - all in the tech manual 11.1.3

If it’s a change to engine type then it’s not maintenance and it’s full on modification which as an owner who is not the original builder places it in the new inspections and acceptance area of the tech manual.

Yes it is indeed a different engine. Also a bit lighter so will need to be put on the scales again. I didn’t think about the new test period. Thanks for all the replies.RE

And will need a w/B done by qualified w and B person ;).

Changing the engine is considered a major modification and I am pretty sure you have to submit your plans to the RAA for prior approval, this should include any modifications to the current plane that are relevant, changes to engine mounts, changes to the weight and balance and you will need to show the engineering behind it, ie reinforcements to engine mounts carrying more weight etc and then you have to document how the changes affect the aerodynamic performance, wing loading, stall speed, changes to thrustline etc. etc.

Then you have to pay for an inspection from an L4 to certify the modifications you applied for are of an acceptable standard and match the specifications in your application.

At least that's my understanding of how the current MARAP system works

Changing the engine is considered a major modification and I am pretty sure you have to submit your plans to the RAA for prior approval, this should include any modifications to the current plane that are relevant, changes to engine mounts, changes to the weight and balance and you will need to show the engineering behind it, ie reinforcements to engine mounts carrying more weight etc and then you have to document how the changes affect the aerodynamic performance, wing loading, stall speed, changes to thrustline etc. etc.Then you have to pay for an inspection from an L4 to certify the modifications you applied for are of an acceptable standard and match the specifications in your application.

At least that's my understanding of how the current MARAP system works

I’ll say this again - like a broken record - if it’s 19 reg then MARAP cannot and does not apply.

As a 19 reg it is a major mod. You will need inspections and approval and of course a couple of forms plus a reweigh and test flying BUT it’s not MARAP and no actual engineering is required.

I’ll go back to my first post - call RAAus tech once the office is open again

Read the whole section.

MARAP as an acronym has been very sloppily incorporated In the current tech manual to cover both the “MARAP” process created to support factory built airframes without continuing factory support where engineering IS required and major mods on everything else that’s experimental/homebuilt where approval and inspection is required but engineering calcs and support is not.

Read the whole lot and you’ll see there are seperate forms with different requirements for the two groups of owner designers major mods that are “true MARAP” vs major mod to a non-factory airframe.

Basic problem is 1 term created by RAAus tech for a specific very technical need on factory airframes was then - in my opinion - very stupidly then used in the next release of their own tech manual to cover a completely different set of changes with very different requirements as well as the original.

• Agree 1

I only refer to it as MARAP as prior to MARAP you could modify your plane without requiring consent. I see MARAP as a being restriction on RAA aircraft owners more than a freedom.

No argument there - the whole concept of anyone needing to approve my own designed 95.10 modifications on my own airframe when they had no input or approval of the bloody airframe I designed built and fly is completely adverse to the concept of 95.10 and exactly the same applies to my 95.32 and 95.55 homebuilts.

It’s illigical and was done in my opinion for empire building and/or to be seen to be doing something even though there is no clear issue being addressed.

But when someone asks for help on a 19 reg airframe the use of MARAP is not helpful unless you clearly outline that the process is NOT that set out in the RAAus MARAP documents and it does not include engineering.

Throw those into someone considering buying a 19 reg aircraft and you may well scare them off going ahead with something that might otherwise be enjoyable to them and achieve for them something they really want.

• Agree 1