Hi All - Just went on my TIF

synergize84

Hi All,

I have always wanted to start flying but never really got around to doing it whether it be due to study/work commitments or financial reasons. Yesterday however, I finally took the plunge and decided to go on my first trial introductory flight with Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training out at YMMB. My 'instructor' was excellent and I was instantly comfortable being up in the air with him. More importantly, the short TIF had me hooked instantly and afterwards I was so keen to get the whole process started that I booked my first 'official' lesson for Saturday. Can't wait!!! Although, to be honest, the whole 'safety' concern is always at the back of my mind. Does anyone else feel the same way or is it just me being paranoid?

Anyway, look forward to contributing to this forum and updating everyone on my progress!

Cheers,

Winston

G'day Winston, welcome along to btw, great to have you. :thumb_up:

That is terrific news about your TIF, and subsequent flight lessons, good on you. :thumb_up:

Flying has it's risks, like anything... It's a matter of eliminating them, and being prepared for anything to happen. That way if something adverse does happen, it isn't as bad, or for want of a better word, your prepared for it. If you can see what I'm getting at! 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

If anything, the most dangerous part is driving to the airport.

You don't just fly along, a sitting dumb duck (so to speak), you're looking around for good landing places in case she stops, you keep in mind the wind direction, so you can land into wind if possible in case of a forced landing etc... you don't just go cruising over tiger country* 'if' you don't have to. Or you get some height, so you can glide clear of it. Some times its just not possible, but you try to eliminate potential dangers. You consider what you would do if your engine stops on take off, who's back yard you might land in etc...

You don't want to be flying along, constantly scared the thing is going to stop on you, but there is nothing wrong with being attentive and prepared.

If you can see what I'm getting at... (you'll be doing well 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Hope you have great fun, and look forward to hearing more about your flying.

:big_grin::big_grin:

*tiger country is ground that isn't landable, trees etc, even over water!

Well done Winston, infectious bug this flying business, not so:question:

I was fortunate in that I was pretty familiar with light aircraft before starting my training, but most people have said that the fear factor diminishes as your knowledge increases.

Have fun with it!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Tomo, thanks for your words of advice! Its good to know what to look out for when you first start so that good habits are established from the very beginning!

If anything, I suppose the fear comes out of reading about stories that occur every now and again, especially those that originate from the same airport I am based at. Having said that though, I was so busy taking in all the information from my instructor during the TIF that I didn't really have time to think about anything else but flying!

I have also noticed that this seems to be a recreational aviation forum rather than a general aviation forum...what's the difference and am I in the right place?

No worries Winston... :big_grin:

I have also noticed that this seems to be a recreational aviation forum rather than a general aviation forum...what's the difference and am I in the right place?

Your right mate, anyone with an interest in aviation is welcome, Recreational aviation is a large part of us, but you GA guys are welcome too! 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif If you haven't heard of the RA-Aus before, Here is their website.

A big 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Winston.

Like most of us after their first TIF, I bet you were on a "high" when you went to bed last night, re-living your experiences earlier in the day. I think we all did.

As a young bloke, starting out to work with very little money, but always having been interested in model aeroplanes, I used to save up and book a TIF with a different club each time just for the fun of it, just to get in the air. This was 40 odd years ago, and the local airfield had no less than 13 aero clubs to choose from. Over about about a three year period i'd tried 11 of them. It gets you that way.

Many years later I started training on Piper Warriers which I enjoyed, but had difficulty keeping up with financial side.

If this is of any concern to you?, you might also want to consider going down the RAA path which can be quite a bit easier on the pocket than GA, although there are some restrictions where you can fly, and you can always convert to GA when finances are a bit less of a burden to you.

Whilst quite a few of the guys on these forums have vast airline backgrounds and freely pass on their knowledge which is absolutely priceless, the greater majority here choose to fly RAA, but still manage to fly all around Australia if thats what you'd like to do.

As far as safety is concerned, good training, good habits, and being well prepared for the unexpected can cover many of the risks involved, so I understand your initial feelings.

I like to go boating which also has certain risks, but I am always well prepared and never ever push the boundary's of what I consider is as safe as I can possibly make it. The same goes with flying.

I would suggest that at this stage, it might be wise to also try the RAA path as well, and then decide which path you feel comfortable with, and one which also suits your pocket, to fulfill your desire, that we are all famliiar with.

Keep us posted.

Kind Regards

Planey

Guest Decca

Hi Winston, welcome to "our" forums. You sure are in the right place.

Everyone who has welcomed you here already has written words of wisdom that are just what I would like to hear, had I just landed here. Discuss everything with your your instructor, even fear of flying, if that's an issue. It took me a long time to get over that. Now speaking from experience I can suggest; don't be afraid of the unknown because that will be trained out of you. And as Tomo says, look critically at what you're doing, look for the risks, & reduce them.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi Winston,

Glad to hear you have taken the plunge! PBAFT is one of the finest training establishments in the country bar none. I did my CPL training there 23 years ago!

Don't sweat the safety thing, being concerned about safety is a good thing, it is what will keep you safe throughout your travels.

Cheers, HH.

Welcome Winston

It is addictive - I am only 6 lessons in (ultralights) with probably 30 lessons to go, at least! It is quite demanding but great fun. Apparently the GA path is twice the cost? Something to think about anyway. Good luck!

Winston,

welcome and enjoy the training

As far as the safety aspect is concerned, I always maintain that I spent 20% of my time learning to fly and 80% learning how not to crash

As Tomo said, it is more dangerous driving to the flying field than it is flying

People keep saying this. I don't think it is true.

Safety

General Aviation Safety

Driving or Flying? Plane vs. Car Accident Statistics | all crash of the world

From what I've read, flying light aircraft is about as dangerous as riding a motorbike. Note that when things go wrong it's generally the pilot's fault. The positive side of this is that you have the power to make things much safer, if you are careful.

Cheers,

Al

Hi Everyone, thanks for the overwhelming response and your comments relating to the safety thing. Your comments have certainly made me feel that it is only a matter of time until I get comfortable with being in such different surroundings and start to plan to avert disaster rather than be apprehensive about it.

Its strange how as you get older (in my case anyway) you start to become more aware of risks and dangers around you. If i had started my flying at the age of 16 (i'm now 26) I do not think i'd bat an eyelid over this safety thing - although that might not always be a good thing...

I too have read the stats Al B is referring to, but I do take confidence from the fact that the majority of GA accidents are due to poor planning, pilot error/carelessness/recklessness. I for one will not be flying beyond my comfort zone nor take to the air in a reckless fashion.

Many of you have mentioned GA v RA - apologies for my ignorance, but what exactly is the difference between the two and why is RA cheaper?

Anyway, I do plan on blogging my progress on this forum once I get started next week!

Cheers,

Winston

Well done mate. Dont worry to much about the safety. This will all be put at ease when you start flying and you do safety checks prior and while you are flying. With that in mind you are always looking for a way out... hehehehe.

I went for my TIF in January and started with a slow build up on hours. But yes it is adictive.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Cheers

Maveric

Welcome Winston. Yes, you are in the right place, there are plenty of GA people on here. GA is general aviation, and in this sense we are talking about aircraft on the civil register (the VH ones) and CASA licensing. The other option is to fly RA-Aus aircraft, which are cheaper.

Risk is an interesting subject. Flying does have risk, and as you gain skill as a pilot one of your responsibilities is to manage that risk. Don't let people tell you flying is perfectly safe, because it isn't. Sometimes I think that's why people want to fly, like they want to ride motorcycles. Flying gives you the freedom of 3 dimensions, views the majority will never see, and enough variety and constant learning to ensure you won't get bored.

Risk is minimised in every possible way, right from the aircraft design, to the pre-flight inspection and engine run ups you do before you take off, to learning aircraft systems, and knowing what to do in the event of any issues. Part of the training is actually called "threat and error management" to identify and address any potential risks. It might even come down to things like weather - should you fly today, or go out for lunch instead?

To start with your instructor has to make those decisions, so for the first few lessons just try to relax and learn!