Excuses needed

Jase T

I work 6 days a week..

I was just talking to the wife about how I plan to work around the weather tomorrow and if that doesn't work what flying I plan to do next weekend.... She said, "Do you realise you went flying the last 5 weekends in a row do you actually plan on spending a weekend with your family soon?".... We have been together 15 years I didn't think she liked spending time with me anymore???? What the hell do I do now???? I will try buying wine and chocolate and hope that distracts her but what then????

• Like 1

Wine and chocolate are good when things are going well, but if you think you can buy her off cheaply and then go flying, think again. Staying home with the family instead of heading for the airfield on your day off might be a better idea in this case. Just hope the weather is bad so you'll feel better.

• Like 4

I take the family flying with me. I have a Jab 400. 2weeks ago flew to Corryong for a picnic, walk to town and fly home. Perfect weather for flying an aircraft I built in my garage with the family onboard hooting along at 115kt on less than 20lt/hr

My wife likes to go flying.

• Like 5

Many years ago a waitress mentioned to me she was worried about her dad building a plane then flying it.

I said "would you rather he came home smelling of avgas or cheap perfume?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I work 6 days a week..

I was just talking to the wife about how I plan to work around the weather tomorrow and if that doesn't work what flying I plan to do next weekend.... She said, "Do you realise you went flying the last 5 weekends in a row do you actually plan on spending a weekend with your family soon?".... We have been together 15 years I didn't think she liked spending time with me anymore???? What the hell do I do now???? I will try buying wine and chocolate and hope that distracts her but what then????

My remedy for that is obvious but some don't have the courage to fix the one prblem in aviation I have found, women & planes usually don't mix!??

• Agree 1

I just read your post to my wife and kids who laughed. I am guilty as well, I involve them in most aviation activities as much as possible. Recreational pilots, from my experience, are notoriously passionate which some may describe as obsessive. My eldest of 3 boys is 14 and has started studying PPL theory, heading towards commencing flight training towards the end of the year. His two younger brothers are keen as well, all have been co-piloting since they were out of nappies. My wife is surrounded.

• Like 3

I'm retired and can go flying when I like. My hangar is My Shed. That said when you have a partner you must have some balance in your life, well I do anyway. I generally go to the aerodrome 3 days a week. I go flying when the weather is good and do aerodrome and clubhouse maintenance, yarn to others there or visitors flying in, as well as just potter around in the hangar or maintain my aircraft. if there is a flyin I want to go to I let her know well in advance & there is no issue. Likewise if there is something she wants to do & I had planned on going flying that day I generally cancel the flying. She used to fly with me but due to health issues can't anymore but when we have a club event she does most of the organising, cooking etc. After 40 years we have a pretty good understanding.

• Like 6

I think you have to work with all relationships and not take too much for granted due to familiarity. Men need sheds. I'm convinced of that. That's where they perform near miracles and unwind& Do "stuff". Women remember birthdays/ anniversaries better and when you get older know what you are going to say before you say it.. beyond that, I don't have a lot to add of any certainty. That doesn't imply there's not a lot there, It's just that you can't learn from me, something I don't know.. You will have to get it from someone who does.

I rarely flew by myself, except if I was practicing spins, forced landings, testing the plane, etc. My wife was a great navigator/confirmer and map orientated pretty well and never showed fear. and was a good organiser of all manner of things.. Good to have with me on trips but never wished to fly with anyone else. IF she saw someone do something silly , that was IT for her. Nev

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

I think you have to work with all relationships and not take too much for granted due to familiarity. Men need sheds. I'm convinced of that. That's where they perform near miracles and unwind& Do "stuff". Women remember birthdays/ anniversaries better and when you get older know what you are going to say before you say it.. beyond that, I don't have a lot to add of any certainty. That doesn't imply there's not a lot there, It's just that you can't learn from me, something I don't know.. You will have to get it from someone who does.

I rarely flew by myself, except if I was practicing spins, forced landings, testing the plane, etc. My wife was a great navigator/confirmer and map orientated pretty well and never showed fear. and was a good organiser of all manner of things.. Good to have with me on trips but never wished to fly with anyone else. IF she saw someone do something silly , that was IT for her. Nev

[/quote

You where fortunate, my X never liked flying, she resented my ability to fly in the end although didn't complain about the income, sold her many years ago, best thing I ever did, never looked back, freedom in more ways than one?

A good income makes you more sexy. You have to accept that .Men sell their freedom too easily, but usually they are not in the best state of mind at the time. Nor is she to be fair.. That's enough said for now by a non expert. Nev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps Im more fortunate than many. My wife loves flying! She hated spin training but other than that is very competent in many respects superior to me. Cockpit management (multi-tasking) for example, and her reactions and hand eye coordination is top notch. Luckily I have 15 years flying experience on her so usually get the left seat and retain the final word on matters aviation. But its really cool to have a supportive and engaged partner.

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 2

Work 5 days a week. 17% decrease in work. 100% increase in time off.

Sounds good, but some of us don't get that luxury. It may mean no more job or it may mean considerably less money which might mean no plane. In the current circumstances it may also be difficult to find a replacement job with better hours.

• Like 1

Ok I am now retired. All the time to go flying. Wife hates flying these days.....she use to go with me sometimes. Been married over 50 years but I don't like going places without her. Real dilemma. Hence my project is only single seat ??

• Like 2

My other half got nervous about the number of 'extreme' and 'dangerous' hobbies I had back in the late 90's so I had to choose:

Aerobatics - gave up

Skydiving - gave up

Hanggliding - gave up

Flying/instructing ultralights - kept

Strangely after a couple of years I 'gave up' that partner ... but then had to admit my body at my age was not ready for return to hanggliding and skydiving so I added weighshift microlights - hanggliding for old farts :smile:

• Like 4

Perhaps Im more fortunate than many. My wife loves flying! She hated spin training but other than that is very competent in many respects superior to me. Cockpit management (multi-tasking) for example, and her reactions and hand eye coordination is top notch. Luckily I have 15 years flying experience on her so usually get the left seat and retain the final word on matters aviation. But its really cool to have a supportive and engaged partner.

Alan

You are indeed fortunate?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Three decades ago, young pilots would cry on my shoulder about how either they couldn't find a girlfriend who liked their flying or their present squeeze was demanding they give it up. Amused me that they never saw me as an option, maybe they saw me as 'one of the lads'. The only "offer" I got was from the LAME who saw the advantage in a partner who flew and owned a plane (ie could position aircraft for free and he could pinch the occasional instrument).

This probably explains why I never married until my mid 50's - to a widowed aircraft builder & pilot who had a lot less hours than I had. Trouble is, he insists on doing all the flying and his hours are steadily creeping up.....

Sue

• Like 7