Exhaust pipe ball end flaring

cscotthendry

Does anybody know what kind of tool can make ball ends in exhaust tubing? If so, does anyboy know of someone or business that has one? The ball ends of my exhaust pipes don't seal in the sockets in the muffler. They are just a shade too small and need to be expanded out a bit

image.thumb.jpeg.94d4ee82668df01f85042a2820be9485.jpeg

If you have the genuine rotax muffler, the ball ends may not be rotax?

Rotax sells the ball stubs 978-520 or 978-521 for SS.....

I've not seen a bead roller that big....

• Like 1

Does anybody know what kind of tool can make ball ends in exhaust tubing?

cscotthendry - Take a look at this exhaust tube bender in action between 2.50 and 3.55 min, and you will be enlightened!

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Does anybody know what kind of tool can make ball ends in exhaust tubing? If so, does anyboy know of someone or business that has one? The ball ends of my exhaust pipes don't seal in the sockets in the muffler. They are just a shade too small and need to be expanded out a bit

[ATTACH]38719[/ATTACH]

Hi Scott Mark has left the details above of the info message I left on you phone.  Also if the gap is small could you ceramic coat the ends one or more times to increase the diameters.  Cheers

• Winner 1

cscotthendry - Take a look at this exhaust tube bender in action between 2.50 and 3.55 min, and you will be enlightened!

Great machine Scott - would love to own one just for the pleasure of it but $$$ limit fantasies.

Hi Scott Mark has left the details above of the info message I left on you phone.  Also if the gap is small could you ceramic coat the ends one or more times to increase the diameters.  Cheers

Hi Mike:

I'll give you a call WRT to the ceramic coating option. That sounds interesting.

Thanks.

Yes, those hydraulic exhaust tube benders are a pretty pricey piece of equipment - it's bad enough, the cost of the actual machine, but the sheer number of mandrels and formers needed, to cover all the sizes and shapes, is what really blows them out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scott, I used a small hammer and a rounded steel pin (ground it to the shape of the ball curve) to re-shape a couple of damaged ends. Then I used valve lapping compound to bed them in to their resp sockets. They are sealing properly again.

• Like 1