Fire Bomber Down

After taking the photo of the Learjet crossing the road at YMEN (see Media section), I proceeded along Wirraway Road towards the tower. A couple of minutes later I saw a Skycrane water bomber depart towards the city. I wonder if it was the one that crashed into a dam later in the night. Two pilots and the engineer escaped by swimming to the shore.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear they are ok, and that it was not another horrifying structural failure. Fire bombers seem more prone to structural failure than most other uses. I guess they are loaded to the max and then fly into extreme turbulence.

" vortex ring  "

Just googled it, Fantastic experiment with two colliding rings in a "fish tank".

I had thought about vortex rings when looking at big jets taking off,

But the idea of those big rotor's on a "Sky-crane" having No lift when hovering, is remarkable.

spacesailor

How can someone who flys something like that manage to get into the ring, obviously not thinking very far ahead, what a waste of a big beautiful helo 

Those blokes who fly Cranes are very professional and are the best in the industry. The water they were working out of was narrow, not much area to manoeuvre and tricky wind conditions. 

Fire work can be flying in the worst weather imaginable, how would you like to fly into conditions like these?

1E867C5E-6034-4618-8510-A7AB37995885.thumb.jpeg.60e0f42daf1c942ab3f575cad2e3bfb1.jpeg

C64603AE-F3A9-479F-905D-5C0F2BC49E5E.thumb.jpeg.046382971026975b06aaeec62a13aeeb.jpeg

• Agree 2

Possible the surrounding trees contributed to the formation of a vortex ring.

The Down-wash fans out to the edge of the lake then moves up to go over the tree-line.

At the hight of the trees tops it could be sucked Back to the Skycrane.

It would leave No time to maneuver out of difficulties.

spacesailor