First flight

rgmwa

Last Sunday my plane took to the air for the first time in the very capable hands of `JB', while a group of us looked on and enjoyed the show. The flight took place at Serpentine (YSEN) in WA - just a couple of circuits to break the ice and make sure everything worked. Nothing fell off and there were no leaks, so now the real test flying can begin. I'm still grinning.

rgmwa

17367312841_d330d0c754_z_d.jpg

17367312861_1305b3ba08_z_d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Winner 12

Weather must have been better up there than further down the coast...... pretty stormy most of the day.

Thanks all. It wasn't a textbook day for test flying, but the worst of the weather held off until later in the day. We had two first flights on Sunday, my RV-12 and an RV-7A. Same pilot - he's a chief pilot/CFI/ATO and his usual plane is a PC12 or Kingair flying out of Darwin or Jandakot, with maybe a Pitts or RV on weekends. He said the shifting wind over the hangars and trees was creating a fair bit of low level turbulence making the approach and landing a bit tricky, but both planes handled it equally well, despite the differences in power and weight. Both landings were on the grass strip. I was pleased the RV-12 handled the grass well for both take-off and landing as the main gear spats don't seem to leave a lot of tyre exposed. He hadn't flown a -12 before (there aren't any others down here), and expected it to be a bit under-powered with only 100hp, but was surprised that it wasn't.

rgmwa

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

Well done rgmwa, it is a great feeling to see a plane you built, take to the air. Not that I have seen it as I have been doing the flying and I really wonder what the engine sounds like.

Will you be doing the rest of the test flying. That needs a lot of concentration to get the correct numbers, not that it really matters with an RV as they have such a wide speed range.

Is your plane a taildragger?

Congratulations from all of the RV owners in Albany. You've just added a rare RV to the herd. I reckon we can slow down a bit to fit you into a formation once you are out of Phase I and can do your ff endo. Haven't seen JB since 2012 - wondered where he'd moved. cheers,

Congratulations on first flight and an outstanding build.Cheers

Rick

Thanks for that Rick and also for your help with the engine.

Cheers

Rob

Congratulations from all of the RV owners in Albany. You've just added a rare RV to the herd. I reckon we can slow down a bit to fit you into a formation once you are out of Phase I and can do your ff endo. Haven't seen JB since 2012 - wondered where he'd moved. cheers,

Thanks Poteroo,

I'll try not to let the side down.

Cheers

Rob

Well done rgmwa, it is a great feeling to see a plane you built, take to the air. Not that I have seen it as I have been doing the flying and I really wonder what the engine sounds like.Will you be doing the rest of the test flying. That needs a lot of concentration to get the correct numbers, not that it really matters with an RV as they have such a wide speed range.

Is your plane a taildragger?

Thanks Yenn. It only drags the tail if I get the landing wrong. There's no wheel at the back.

JB will do the real test flying. Once we know it performs as advertised, I'll complete the balance of the 25 hours after he's happy that I know how to fly it properly.

Cheers

Rob