FK9 Mk IV

Gday all. I did my first flight today. It was in a FK9 MkIV. Typic 2 seater trainer from Germany. Just wondering if anyone else is training in one? And what do you think of it as you go further down the training path. It was my first flight in it, but seemd to be nice enough to fly.

Cheers

Craig

My Jabiru shares a hangar with an FK9. I know heaps of folks who have flown the plane and like it. Some say the flap speed is so low that you have to get them up real quick after take-off. One day I'll get a ride in the thing.

I am signed off on that type.Jabiru 7252 has said it all.At Gawler we preferred not to use flaps for take off when the prop was adjusted for climb,however when they changed it to cruise we would use flaps but quickly retract them.The aircraft tends to have a steep nose in a climb.

The aircraft tends to have a steep nose in a climb.

As Im just starting out. Could you explain what you mean by "tents to have a steep nose in a climb"

Cheers

I would say high angle of attack but not in a tent. If flap retract is slow that will keep AoA lower & require more back pressure to climb. Perhaps higher gearing on the flap extend/retract mechanism would help.

• Haha 1

As Im just starting out. Could you explain what you mean by "tents to have a steep nose in a climb"

Cheers

You made a typo which  has changed the meaning.Anywhere you will realise what i meant when you fly a different type.Dont worry about it.

There is no "aircraft tends to have a steep nose in a climb" - this is either a conscious decision by the pilot  eg to clear a hazard OR a failure by the same to make appropriate control inputs.

For the FK9 if you climb at stated climb speeds when the prop is configured to climb,you will have a much higher nose attitude.You will basically have no forward vision.All you see is blue.As a result you end up climbing at higher speeds when you lower your nose to have that forward vision.

For the FK9 if you climb at stated climb speeds when the prop is configured to climb,you will have a much higher nose attitude.You will basically have no forward vision.All you see is blue.As a result you end up climbing at higher speeds when you lower your nose to have that forward vision.

Sorry to disagree - the nose angle, on climb out, is the responsibility of the pilot in command/control. The pilot can lower the nose if he/she puts in the required control inputs. If lowering the nose results in higher air speed and this is undesirable, reduce power - simple!.  Your aircraft will have performance data in the POH.  There will not be any restriction on lowering the nose for better forward visibility,max air speed, reduced engine temperature/load. There is likely to be restrictions on climb angle & minimum air speed.

The configuration of the propeller merely changed the potential performance of the aircraft, it does not dictate the angle of climb.

• Agree 1

Most factory made aircraft will have detailed in their POH "best rate of climb" and " best angle of climb". Two totally different processes. One up I can climb out at 1800 fpm at 65-70 knots & can see sweet FA in front of me. At 80-85 knots I can still climb at 1200-1500 fpm & see everything. I only climb out steeply if there is a bloody big mountain in the way as the CHT & EGTs are getting towards their maximums at full power & low speed.

• 3 weeks later...
Most factory made aircraft will have detailed in their POH "best rate of climb" and " best angle of climb". Two totally different processes. One up I can climb out at 1800 fpm at 65-70 knots & can see sweet FA in front of me. At 80-85 knots I can still climb at 1200-1500 fpm & see everything. I only climb out steeply if there is a bloody big mountain in the way as the CHT & EGTs are getting towards their maximums at full power & low speed.

AND at the end of the day it is still the pilot in commands decision to configure the aircraft to climb out at any angle, consistent with safety, up to & including the best angle/rate of climb.

• Like 1