Flight (and additional training) plans for 2020

Many of us like to bimble; many of us like to tour; some of us like to do aeros; some of uls like to do club comps (unf. something not part of the UK scene). And some of us will take on extra training while some of us will conduct that training. So, what are your flying plans for 2020?

I'll start:

Training

Once the TB20 comes back from the paint shop (it has been in for three months; 2 months longer than planned and is still yet to come out), I will do a little refresher training. I haven't flown much for the last couple of years and this is a bit of a step up. My examiner is almost as good as my second instructor/first examiner in Aus. The training will mainly freshen up the navigation bit as well as radio navaids and emergency procedures.

As the a/c is N Reg (USA), I need to either get the piggy back FAA licence (61.75), however, the cost of doing that in the UK is almost the same as training over there for the conversion to a stand alone FAA licence. Have to make my mind up within 2 weeks or I will miss out (in my shareoplane, anyway) on some planned touring.

Intend to do the UK IMC/EASA IR (Restricted) rating as a lead in to the Competency Based IR (rather than virtually doing the ATPL theory syllabus before getting an EASA IR).

WIll also rekindle myself with some aeros (again, courtesy of one of my most inspiring instructors from Aus - he knows who he is).

Touring - Europe

- Weekend planned from London to Liverpool

- 4 Days planned from London to Glenforsa (Scottish Islands)

- 6 Days planned from London - Canakkale (Turkey) for Anzac Memorial at Gallipoli (which is why I have about 2 weeks to determine which route to get an FAA licence)

Touring - Australia

Birdsville Races - Sep.. Have the application in for the Aussie piggie back licence and ASIC.. Intend to rent a plane (prob a PA28 ) from somewhere around Melb. But, I intend a two week sojourn.. Haven't planned the route yet (unf, Skydemon stopped supporting Aussie maps, and Oz Runways only works on phones/tablets - looking at Command Software, but they don't seem to do a trial  - will contact them). But the route will be most direct (taking into tiger country), most likely form YMMB with an obligatory stop in YTOC. After the races, head East towards either the Gold Coast or Ballina depoending on airspace and then south.. Intend to do Sydney from the air and then follow the coast to Melb, avoiding MIL airspace as required..

I am slowing down, trying to sell the RV4 and fly just the Corby.

If I don’t renew my medical I will miss out on instrument flying in GA, but save a bucket of money.

Jerry you could look at AvPlan which runs on iPads, it includes USA and Europe I think.

Yenn, I wouldn't worry about missing out on Instrument flying in GA, It's NOT really FUN and how long since you flew the Corby? The perfect thing for you (or ME) would be a two seat Auster or a basic Cub.  in good nick. Simple as, and easy to fly and drop in anywhere. Vision good down both sides. Nev

It's not going to be anything like having airborne radar which you can Pan up and down and read the vertical development of storms and really you should not be anywhere near any bad stuff at all. 20 miles downwind you can get Hail in clear air that will destroy even good sized aircraft. .. . Nev

• Agree 1

It's not going to be anything like having airborne radar which you can Pan up and down and read the vertical development of storms and really you should not be anywhere near any bad stuff at all. 20 miles downwind you can get Hail in clear air that will destroy even good sized aircraft. .. . Nev

Since we only fly for recreational purposes seeing a storm on our tablet will have us making the correct call, hopefully. 

• Agree 2

I once got a bit of hail from a strange, tall and skinny cloud on a warm afternoon at about 7,000ft. Took the leading edge off a wooden prop causing me to pull the power and land pronto on a very convenient ag strip. 

• Like 1

Jerry you could look at AvPlan which runs on iPads, it includes USA and Europe I think.

What I like about skydemon is, I can develop my flught plan on my latop/desktop with a bigger screen and mouse/keyboard and then save ti the cloud to be downloaded to my ipad/phone later. I find this very convenient compared to using an ipad for the whole thing and means I can zoom into the map but still have a decent amount of it displayed, along with NOTAM updates, etc.

I think command software will let me do it, although its charting and features, particularly graphical representations, look remedial.. still working through it..

Of course, I could simply buy the requisite VTCs and WACs and do it as I did it 25 years ago! I sort of know the way, anyway... and I would always check NOTAMs and weather, regardless of what the flight planning software told me.

Jerry

No matter which planning software and tablet you use they are all pretty good these days, AvPlan and OzRunways are both easy to use and plan on both have weather and notams and all the information you want or need. 

I personally use OzRunways and Command Flight Planner although I generally only use CFP now for printing my plans and other useful enroute information it gives you (including a cost estimate). OzRunways also allows you to install on your phone (not legal to use as an electronic flight book backup) but a very helpful backup, also have a way to charge your Ipad during flight.

With the use of electronic flight books you will need to have a backup either paper charts or a second IPad I carry 2 IPads one with a sim installed so you are able to access NAIPS

As far as planning goes I just did a quick Avlon to Birdsville plan (took 10 minutes including checking fuel availability at all places) I used a 172 as I don't have a PA 28 in my IPad distance is 934nm flight time 512 minutes with the longest leg being about 150 minutes. Depending on your load, availability of fuel will be your main concern as you get further west I used full fuel in my plan and the smallest margin I had was 88 litres (including a 15% flight fuel variable reserve)

YMAV-YLED-YCAL-YTOC, I would use this route to get me clear of MLB airspace as quickly as possible and get to 7500 to give myself some room over the ranges, your highest lowest safe is 4700

YTOC-YCBA (Cobar)

YCBA-YTGM (Thargomindah)

YTGM-YBDV

Took me longer to write the reply than it did to plan the flight.

Regards

Aldo

• Helpful 1

Hi Aldo,

Many thanks for taking the time out to plan a flight and provide advice. I was estimating about 10 hours flying time (hoping to get an Archer for the trip - prefer to have the extra 20 horses under the cowl than a PA28); Also happy with a 172, but would prefer the Reims Rocket variety for the same reason and they are very few in between. There is a Cherokee 6 (300HP) that I can lay my hands on, but the school that owns it is quoting 130kts cruise and the extra cost to carry an extra 2 empty seats is not worth it. The benefit, though, would be that it has been beaten up less than those used for ab initio or at least Nav flight training...

Interesting to know that a EFB requires a backup - either paper or another EFB. We don't technically require one over here, however, I almost always have a paper map marked up and I update progress on it as I go. Maybe time to get another tablet (prob go Samsung this time - I am not really an Apple fan).

7500' sounds about right over the ranges. I would love to have that lattitude here (well, in the South East of England bird cage, the highest is around 5,500 ceiling and even over thr channel, the airspace is so fragmented, it is not worth going over 6,000', VFR anyway).

Cheers,

J

Like the Cherokee six, I don't plan on the extra costs to carry two seats, but the 210 flies faster than a TB20 with less fuel - so has to be worth looking at...

I have also thought about a 182 as well; they are going for about $360/hour wet bit that is worth the extra 40 kts over a PA28/C172 @ c. $260/hr.

I am not wedded to starting the trip from Melbourne; My family are based there; I am happy to start and end from around Adelaide through to Redcliffe and anywhere in between - depending on the aircraft..

Given the  :censored:  state of the weather in Canberra, I plan to amass a few simulator parts and do some desk flying in between trips to the airport. Its been stupidly hot and the smoke has driven the visibility below 5000m more than a few times since the start of December. Until stuff stops burning or it rains, visibility is going to be hit-and-miss. This will have a similar effect on my trips to the airport. The smoke has already damaged my lungs.

For fun and something different (I supposed ?‍♂️) tonight there is a strong wind warning for the Snowies up to just south of where I live. This is due to a cold front passing through. At the time of writing (9pm) its 36C in Aulbury, 34C in Wagga Wagga and 33C in Canberra. The cold front will probably bring down a few trees and write off another day of flying.

Anyone got any simulator bits they want to pass on,? The way things are going this is the closest I am going to get to actual flying for a while

. Maybe time to get another tablet (prob go Samsung this time - I am not really an Apple fan).

I'm also not an apple fan and use Ozrunways on android.

Be aware that the android version is considered the "lite" version and has less functionality than apple.

However the simplicity suits me fine at day vfr only.

Ozrunways 30 day trial.    https://ozrunways.com/    Have a play!

Free NAIPS account  https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/naips/Account/Register

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

With the use of electronic flight books you will need to have a backup either paper charts or a second IPad I carry 2 IPads one with a sim installed so you are able to access NAIPS

This is not correct for Private Ops.

The use of EFB does not require a second iPad / Device or Paper so long as you satisfy the use of it:

I do always carry a second device (just in case) all loaded up as well as extra external battery however this does satisfy the requirements.

ECABE3A9-5F95-448D-904E-9000DCAD9C84.thumb.jpeg.d48651f3d09f27166ff9f151db91bf9f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

This is not correct for Private Ops.

The use of EFB does not require a second iPad / Device or Paper so long as you satisfy the use of it:

I do always carry a second device (just in case) all loaded up as well as extra external battery however this does satisfy the requirements.

[ATTACH]42785[/ATTACH]

BusaKaine

Thanks for that, yes it is only commercial ops I had thought it applied to both

Aldo

If you rely on one electronic device that is OK by CASA, but if they check you and find your device has a flat battery or is overheated and not working, you will need another approved mapping method.

All good until something stops working, and if you think your iPad or whatever is not going to stop working, go for it, but be warned.

I recently had a gps stop working for no real reason and it was the latest version I had bought. Garmin seem to be getting away from their old reliability. The same could happen to an iPad.

• Agree 1

I do tend to take marked up paper maps and track progress on them and a PLOG. I have had two handheld GPS failures - one lost signal (although there was no NOTAM of GPS signal jamming, one can't discount it) and one where for some reason, I could fly @  180 degrees from the course and it was still showing me tracking along the magenta line (in the right direction).

I sort of like navigating the old way (how many VORs and NDBs are left in Aus.. there are fewer and fewer left in the UK) amd still manually mark up my map and measure track direction, use a whizzwheel (that I bought from La Trobe Valley flying club back in '96 which is metal and built to last) to calculate deviation ad headings and compare to the flight planning software version. Where controlled airspace is not an issue (and I mean like the one in South East England - not a few steps around Tullamarine), I often don't even bother with the GPS and only use the flight planning software for easy integration of information such as weather, NOTAMs, terrain and the like.

In my first GPS failure, I was relying on th GPS and found my actual track was pretty horrid, oscillating about the magenta line like a muted radio/sine wave. When I lost signal, I used the old trick of pointing at a land mark in the distance and suddenly I was flying much more accurately in the horizontal plane.

I now have another adventure in the calendar - June 9 - 13... An Italian member of the UK flyer forums organises a forum flyout to Italy every couple of years or so. It happens he is doing it this year. I have missed the last three and intend to do this.. It is usually is to an airfield in Northern Italy. The routing will be south along the east of the Alps, across Southern France and into Italy.