FlightGear Foxbat anywhere?

Flying Officer Kite

Hi all!

Well into my basic RPC training and would like to be able to practice a few things on my FlightGear simulator, but FG doesn't have an Aeroprakt Foxbat simulator package listed in it's own hangar, nor does there seem to be one on their Third Party hangar list. Does anyone here know if such exists?

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks mn - I'm sure you're right! I had settled on using a Cessna 150 sim, but my pc (or at least the inbuilt graphics card) is so slow that I've temporarily given up on the idea. That's after buying a GeForce gtx 550 ti card with intention of upgrading, only to find that it would also need a bigger power supply to run it. Looking for a used gaming pc instead, but no hurry - I'm still enjoying learning in the real thing! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Mike

I have been guilty of saying" This plane flys so well it's, just like the simulator" but it's not true. When you fly a simulator, you are playing the game. When you learn how to tweek a sim you are not flying a plane. They still have a very important place in training, but everything has it's limits. Nev

• Agree 1

If memory serves, the C150 model in FG is rubbish and not at all realistic in terms of slow speed flight. Specifically landing flare. I am off to try it out and be sure. Mostly I use the C172 model for procedures and navigation because it closely models what I fly in terms of TAS and Vs0/Vs1.

After that I don't care too much because I am _still_ practising paper chart navigation and cockpit resource management (e.g. where to put the paper)

• 6 months later...

g'day Kite - Simviation has a very nice freeware A22 by Rick piper, don't know if it will work for you, it's FSX- this link may work:

Simviation: Microsoft Flight Simulator Addons

as for the Drifter by Ant's Airplanes, it has fairly accurate flight dynamics - 0455 is my 1:1 aircraft and I was one of the beta testers for Anthony

I know for a fact he did a lot of amazing work on this aircraft - zoom in on the air cleaners to get an idea of what I mean - he also came for a flight with me to record all the sounds

I did test flights with all sorts of parameters for Anthony and then compared the results to what happened on the simulator - I reckon it's just about spot on

(that's actually moi in the red helmet as the pilot...)

g'day Kite - Simviation has a very nice freeware A22 by Rick piper, don't know if it will work for you, it's FSX- this link may work:Simviation: Microsoft Flight Simulator Addons

as for the Drifter by Ant's Airplanes, it has fairly accurate flight dynamics - 0455 is my 1:1 aircraft and I was one of the beta testers for Anthony

I know for a fact he did a lot of amazing work on this aircraft - zoom in on the air cleaners to get an idea of what I mean - he also came for a flight with me to record all the sounds

I did test flights with all sorts of parameters for Anthony and then compared the results to what happened on the simulator - I reckon it's just about spot on

(that's actually moi in the red helmet as the pilot...)

Thanks for that info bp. I'd love to play with a good sim, but cost being an important factor for me (like most aspiring flyers I'm sure), I've decided that rather than blow $$$ on a more powerful pc I'll keep spending it in hands-on training - at least until I get the hang of getting the flare right so I can finally move on to solo!

- Mike

hey Mike, I know what you mean re. costs - my graphics card cost $800, but I can run six monitors off it so I shouldn't complain too much - with a LOT of aircraft and scenery added I still get 25 FPS minimum...

I see you're at Bribie Island - any time you're near the Scenic Rim (Ipswich - Boonah) let me know via PM and I'm happy for you to spend a couple of hours on my sim

cheers

BP