From the Log Book

pmccarthy

Ian has suggested some more cheery positive themes and it is a good idea. This thread is for posts about trips you made in the past, last year or last decade or more. Ideally with a snapshot and some notes from your log book about the flight. Here is the kick-off;

On December 27, 1972 I hired Cherokee VH-PXV from Griffith aero club. PXV was a 1967 model, with the window winder trim in the roof. I was not a club member so I was checked out by R. Kuypers (30 minutes) and then set off with three passengers. We landed at Moorabbin after a 3 hour flight and went into Melbourne for a look around. Next morning flew to Launceston (3.08 hours) and picked up a car for a drive to Hobart. We watched the Sydney-Hobart yachts come in. On December 30th flew Launceston - Benalla - Griffith, a total of six hours.

This photo shows me (in red tee shirt) and two of the passengers prior to departure from Griffith.

image6-1.thumb.jpg.623804fb05a67431da1bfc82cdccf64f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 December 1978 - VH-WNN (C-172) Mudgee - Dubbo - Cowra - Mudgee Flight test at completion of navigation training.

19 December 1978 - Full PPL approved (Day VMC, Fixed Pitch, Fixed U/C)

7  January 1979 - VH-WES (PA-28-180 Cherokee) Dubbo - Bankstown overflying Katoomba and Orange - 1:50 hrs Full reporting

9  January 1979 - Reverse flight 2:15 Hrs

27 January 1979 - Dubbo - Mildura - Adelaide (Primary) VH-WES  5:20 hrs - Sartime

29 January 1979 - Reverse flight 5:20 Hrs

After a long break from July 1973 to March 1978, I resumed my RPPL training with George Campbell at Mudgee. I had 66:55 hrs logged when I started with George and after 75:25 I had my RPPL. I did some training in PA28-140's and 180's at Dubbo during the winter of 1978, then I returned to Mudgee where I did the test to lift the area restriction. The purpose of my first PPL fledgling flight was to go to Sydney for a Pre-selection interview for NSW Police. Later that month I flew from Dubbo to Adelaide with a lady friend to visit an old flatmate. Back then, landing at Adelaide Airport was a snack, and my mate lived near the airport. That's over forty years ago, and WES is still flying, but now it flies out of Camden. I must scrape some money together to join it back in the air.

Here's a picture taken at Adelaide Airport during the pre-flight for the return flight to Dubbo. I didn't move the relationship on with the lady. I was too busy being a Probationary Constable and was snapped up by another - together 40 years this March. Too bad the wife doesn't like light aircraft.

image.thumb.png.464712b104e02ec7177c2b213f838b63.png

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

My log book shows that on 21-10-92 I flew the Thruster that I still have from then home near Nyngan to Baçchus marsh, 9.8 hours with stops at lake cargeligo, Griiffith and  Tocumwal. I remember cruising along at 500 agl near Tocumwal when a 172 with flaps out pulled alongside, meet the pilot on the return journey and enjoyed his hospitality for the night. For entertainment I had a tape player plugged into the Carl Holden intercom, Carl was a well known instructor in Sydney, the intercom still works today. Not sure why but I only had one tape, George Harrison's greatest hits, all are burned into my memory now.

The next day a short flight to  Torquay on the coast near Geelong were I meet up with friends who had sensibly driven down from Nyngan. We had a couple of great days at the Avalon airshow. Had a lot of fun flying the thruster along the beach and leaving single wheel tracks in the sand. Pic is my good mate Paul flying the thruster near Torquay. 

Photo149.thumb.jpg.b6f5eb6a167af161dffe5afff1a7514d.jpg

20180726_161402.thumb.jpg.65ea2e97c2ebfb63bf682121255629fd.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I would encourage all old and new to have a go on this thread, we need entertaining and educating while house bound. Facthunter, machtuk, poteroo and all others you have a story I would like to read.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Machtuk

No pix but a story for you Thruster?

In the mid 80's I was living in YSTW and was tasked to take an engineer out to YCBB in a Bo, black soil country! Was summer, lots of heavy rain about. Mission was urgent ( paper plane C210 with a busted flat batt) so grabbed a WAC chart and an old ERSA I found lying around ( pre GPS days) and scrambled out of there.

Dodged several nasty CB's enroute, finally found the strip amongst heavy rain and low cloud closing in. Did all the usual radio calls but heard zip. Pretty high terrain around that area with low cloud drifting thru so landing was somewhat urgent! Lined up in heavy rain on the sealed strip only to see some strong lights facing me on the Rwy, hmmmm got closer on final only to see a Herc (C130) facing me with engines running, I went around.

Came around again in now really deteriorating WX calling all the time on the radio, no response! Short final the Herc was still there lights blazing! I had no choice but to break off and drop the Bo in to the cross grass Rwy at the last second. As soon as we touched down the Bo stopped dead in what felt like 10 feet! I looked at the engineer sitting next to me when we stopped and said did you stand on the brakes? Nope he said, oh sh1t I thought!

Pooring rain now we both got out & you guessed it, black soil country and the Bo was bogged to the axles!

Looked over at the noisy Herc with all its engines still running and the rear ramp came down and out ran about 6 guys all in green suits, reminded me of "Close encounters of the third kind"! They came over and said we where trying to call you several times on the local freq, xxx.xx, hmmmmm never heard a thing! Remember the "I quickly grabbed an old ERSA"? Well I picked up the previous issue, a DIFERENT freq for YCBB had been added! Anyway the guys helped push us out on to the hard stuff, phew! They piled back in their Herc did a U turn and took off disappearing in to the soup. We spent the next half hour cleaning the mud off the Bo in Pooring rain! The engineer swapped out the C210 batt and went with that pilot (didn't blame him!)

Got back late, soaked, got chewed out by the boss and got a bloody cold after all that! Moral of the story? STAY on the ground & let someone else do it!?

was living in YSTW and was tasked to take an engineer out to YCBB in a Bo

Not everyone has an encyclopaedic knowledge of airport codes. (edited...mod)

Otherwise a good yarn.

Edited by robinsm
  • Agree 1

Here is another story from my log book to keep the momentum going.

I learned to fly at the Broken Hill Aero Club with instructors J Hardy, Ken Groves and Duncan McDougall. Training was done in a 115 HP Airtourer VH-MVF.

Prior to going solo I was checked out by the CFI Dudley Hart, who was a pre-war and wartime pilot. When I applied flaps on final Dudley said no, show me a sideslip. I had never done one of those, so Dudley showed me a very aggressive sideslip. On July 3rd 1971, off I went on my solo and a couple of subsequent flights. My next dual was with I. Keane who I don't recall and only appears that one time in my log book. I have a vague recollection that I was being checked out by a representative from DCA. Anyway, I decided that sideslipping was the way to go and tried it Dudley-style.

I don't remember the expletive that was used but there was considerable tension in the cockpit. However, the next few flights were solo so I must not have been hopeless.

• Like 2

I'm angry. 1585453735039.png.ecd02e07cffc3c886cf912efe78329fd.png

I don't want to be dragged away from your enthralling literary output to search through 613 official and some unofficial codes to see where the story is set.

OMG IMHO ROFL

• Winner 1

Guest Machtuk

Another story for those that are not angry!?

In the 90's I used to drive "Nippon Denso terrorists" (mainly newlyweds, silly buggers!) down to a popular island known as a "terrorist" destination for a tour of the local attractions. We would land, wait around at the drome (won't give you the code as it upsets someone precious!?) with a few other drivers and their steeds then fly them back with an orbit of a particular CBD at night. One night I had a "terrorist" pax up front with me in the old 12 seater twin clunker (designed in the 40's!) and whilst orbiting the City lights she leaned over and took a flash photo right in front of my face!

For a moment there it was total blindness, white everything! I told the tower I was remaining in an orbit for a few minutes and would advise when I wanted to return to land. For a minute or so I struggled to see the instrument panel never lone the the earth below!

Finally came back to land where on short final she put the camera up to her face ready to snap another piccy, my cat like reflexes whacked the camera right out of her hands! She was yelling at me in her foreign language all the way to the parking spot!

Ah the good 'ole days, crazy times, so many stories too?

Very poor communication. Not everyone has an encyclopaedic knowledge of airport codes. There are 613 Airports in Australia. Nor does everyone know the model designation of every aircraft.

Otherwise a good yarn.

Absolutely agree. I know there are some amongst us that don't bother putting in the airstrip name just it's code (maybe can't spell very good the full name ?) but it must be remembered that not only aviators are reading these post stories and with luck some will pick up flying or mix with the aviation tribe. I believe it adds greatly to the story with the town names. Lift your game people, you know who your are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Coming out of Katherine in the F27 at night (before Tyndal was opened ) heading for Darwin in the wet season, near cruise level (about FL 190) I was using a small pencil torch held at a small angle to the cockpit window to check for ice forming .(as one does). One of TAA's lovely flight attendents showed her confidence in the conduct of the flight by asking. "Are we LOST?". Nev

• Haha 5

I was about to leave Narromine, following a very successful AUF Natfly. Some friends called me over for a mag and a coffee. I then jumped in to the Volksplane which was fuelled up and ready to depart for Temora, a little over 2 hrs at 60kts.

Whilst overflying Forbes I started to feel a little uncomfortable in the bladder. I'd never landed at Forbes and, thinking 'not far to Temora', I pressed on.

Further on I was interested in the view of Quandialla having in-laws from there but never having been. The discomfort was becoming quite acute now and, what the bloody hell was I going to do? The answer came in a flash! I whipped out the trusty Swiss knife, emptied water from the large Coke bottle and cut the neck off it (the bottle you fool!) Blissful relief as I half filled the container with the hateful ballast.

Landing at Temora I taxied up to the fuel bowser as quietly as I could hoping to spring out of the plane and empty my shameful cargo before being spotted. Of course this was a vain hope and I was met by mate Alan Powlay! He had a great larff at my discomfort.

• Like 1

Good question Jerry. Mine was a VP-2. It was terrible as a 2 seater but had plenty of room for one. Used to climb at about 300fpm on a standard day so, when it was hot, could be a little worrying just maintaining altitude. Big wing thermalled well.

• Like 1

I was about to leave Narromine, following a very successful AUF Natfly. Some friends called me over for a mag and a coffee...

That was your first mistake, Methusela. I dunno about coffee, but green tea, my normal beverage, goes straight thru me in about thirty minutes!

...Landing at Temora I taxied up to the fuel bowser as quietly as I could hoping to spring out of the plane and empty my shameful cargo before being spotted...

Surprised you didn't empty the bottle out the window; others' attempts to do that have resulted in some hilarious blow-backs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Machtuk

Those volksplanes don't look to have particularly big cockpits.. How did you secure the contents of the coke bottle now the neck was cut off it? Esp on landing?

I was thinking the same thing??

My first flight in the Auster was on 7 January 2009. I had just 2 hours Auster flying before that but the propellor turned in the opposite direction.

I purchased I from a guy at Watts Bridge and my fist takeoff was when I departed to south. First landing 2 hours later.

Fortunately, I had with me a little Garmin 295 (still have it) because towering Cu’s to 30,000 made for a very bumpy trip An there was no way known I could follow the line on the map without then recovering from unusual attitudes. I made it to Narromine but the bloody thing wouldn’t land! Floated and floated until..bang...we were on the ground two thirds way down one of those incredibly long runways. So help me, it wanted to go up, not down.

Next morning, squeaked into Temora in front of a huge TS after I got confused and called the wrong runway direction in my rush to get onto terra firma. Guys there helped me tie down. Headed off again when rain stopped and ended up sideways down the runway because there were two or three inches of water on it. Pulled the stick back and up she went...phew! Good old bird answered my wishes ?‍♂️

Got safely back to Locksley (Vic) near Mangalore without further drama and decided the little aeroplane was a very strong little thing and would look after me weep if I looked after her. 750 hours later, I’m starting to learn how to fly and land her.

Kaz

• Like 5

Austers had such a bad reputation that when I got to fly one it only had to fly at all and it would have exceeded its reputation. Learning on first a chippie and then a Tiger it was an easy transition. I was warned about it's ability to nearly kill you when it bounced on take off. Must be SOME BS or mistake there, I thought. WRONG.. Eventually the Bungee U/C made it's presence felt and I got used to the idea of either abandoning some rough ground take-off s or reefing it tail down into the air flying slow in ground effect for a while. Once you get used to the slow speed capability you can just about put it down on a tennis court. Last time I checked all the ones I flew in the 60's were still going.. Most tailwheels then were 3 pointed, especially at Newcastle Aerodrome at District Park which was very small. Nev,

• Like 1

A mate from Wedderburn became proud owner of an Aeronca Champ. We'd met at Holbrook a number of times and so we met up again at an SAAA Easter fly-in at Mangalore. I had my VP-2 there, some doubted that it could fly 2 people on the Revmaster but it did.

Anyway, my mate was really proud of his little Champ and generously offered to take me for a fly. We climbed aboard and except for the lack of leg room it was a nice little thing. It had a C-65 which was hand-propped to start. We took off and enjoyed a leisurely climb to about 2,000ft above ground. He handed over to me and I flew around for a bit.

"See how she stalls" he said. I protested but he insisted that I should marvel further at her 'pussy-cat' nature. I pulled the revs back and eased back on the stick until it shuddered and dropped its nose, simultaneously with the prop coming to a standstill!

Surprised we looked at each other. I then suggested that the correct course of action would be to put the nose down and attempt to air start it but, to my surprise he insisted on dead sticking it to a landing before many shocked spectators. Things that happen I guess!

• Like 3

I've flown an Auster only a few times, in a nut shell? Horrible thing, people are welcome to them!

You didn’t give it enough time. They do grow on you, especially when you learn to fly them properly.

A mate from Wedderburn became proud owner of an Aeronca Champ. We'd met at Holbrook a number of times and so we met up again at an SAAA Easter fly-in at Mangalore. I had my VP-2 there, some doubted that it could fly 2 people on the Revmaster but it did.

Anyway, my mate was really proud of his little Champ and generously offered to take me for a fly. We climbed aboard and except for the lack of leg room it was a nice little thing. It had a C-65 which was hand-propped to start. We took off and enjoyed a leisurely climb to about 2,000ft above ground. He handed over to me and I flew around for a bit.

"See how she stalls" he said. I protested but he insisted that I should marvel further at her 'pussy-cat' nature. I pulled the revs back and eased back on the stick until it shuddered and dropped its nose, simultaneously with the prop coming to a standstill!

Surprised we looked at each other. I then suggested that the correct course of action would be to put the nose down and attempt to air start it but, to my surprise he insisted on dead sticking it to a landing before many shocked spectators. Things that happen I guess!

Wasn’t a cherry red one, was it? Mate had one at Coldstream YCEM and it was a delight to hand prop.

Austers had such a bad reputation that when I got to fly one it only had to fly at all and it would have exceeded its reputation. Learning on first a chippie and then a Tiger it was an easy transition. I was warned about it's ability to nearly kill you when it bounced on take off. Must be SOME BS or mistake there, I thought. WRONG.. Eventually the Bungee U/C made it's presence felt and I got used to the idea of either abandoning some rough ground take-off s or reefing it tail down into the air flying slow in ground effect for a while. Once you get used to the slow speed capability you can just about put it down on a tennis court. Last time I checked all the ones I flew in the 60's were still going.. Most tailwheels then were 3 pointed, especially at Newcastle Aerodrome at District Park which was very small. Nev,

I hardly ever do a wheeler because you lose the very attribute that gave it purpose..STOL. Three points with the barn doors open and you can land it almost anywhere..and I have. But in 750 hours I haven’t ground-looped YET.

• Like 1