FS 2020 - anyone?

flying dog

This section looks a bit dead.

I was wondering if anyone is still playing with the sims.

I am wanting to get a machine - probably in about 6 months, but want to get some ground work done before then.

The last windows machine I used was in 2000.

So AGP is a big deal in that parlance.

The new machines are at a whole different realm.

Anyone?

Haven't done it for a while but wouldn't mind getting back into it. I think a new computer would have to be first on the list. Then retire the old FS9 and try a newer sim.

A bloke I know in the U.K. has been playing around with some old aircraft instruments, trying to get them to work with the flight sim programme. So far he's had an EGT gauge work as well as a gear indicator. He uses the open source Flightgear sim and in the case of the EGT gauge, has hacked the code to output the Jet Pipe Temperature over USB. An Arduino board is connected to the laptop by USB and reads the temperature data. It then uses this to directly drive the indicator using pulse width modulation.

Interesting stuff but I recon he will be about 130 years old by the time he gets a complete panel of real gauges working. He's not gutting and modifying the gauges, just trying to work out ways to make original gauges work.

I think a new computer would have to be first on the list. Then retire the old FS9 and try a newer sim.

Errrr, if I make a new computer from scratch "retiring the old FS" would not be needed as it would be a new build.

• 4 weeks later...

I pre ordered my copy today as I was able to get the Premium Deluxe edition at a discounted price of $142 AUD. It is being released on the 18th Aug and it is reported to need 150gb of hdd space. The screenshots look incredible especially the terrain.

• Like 1

Thanks.

It does look nice. Probably as good as FS9 was to it's previous version. Though FSX was a big leap too.

But wow! 150GB of HD space!

And I would guess that Australia is still pretty poorly mapped.

I really need to get back into that side of things, but it has been about 18 years since I have played with a MS machine for any serious time.

That HDD space is just the start from what I saw of the reviews. It requires a fast internet connection to download the GBs of scenery which it apparently will do 'on the fly'.

Microsoft have a long history of getting Flight Sim out ahead of the technology. When I was building my 'pit, I used FSX which would only barely run on the equipment of the day. It had things like animated ripples and waves on the water surfaces and complex weather generators and traffic. You couldn't run it with more than one or two of these whizz bangs enabled. The new FS looks like it will be another weapon to drive hardware sales (again!).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the inteface will be for connecting sim hardware? FSX had Simconnect which was a jump in the right direction.

That HDD space is just the start from what I saw of the reviews. It requires a fast internet connection to download the GBs of scenery which it apparently will do 'on the fly'.

The connection speed would cut me out of the picture. I think you only get a certain number of airports with the programme and a lot has to be streamed live.

My floppies are on my wife. She needs a clothing item to ensure they don't get too floppy.

Are you referring to an "Over shoulder bolder holder" or also referred to as a "Double barrel sling shot"

• Like 1

The graphics look great, but I couldn't help but notice that the upper part of the Harbour Bridge is missing.

Possibly those midnight scrap metal thieves have been at it again.

At least mine is complete in FSX and good fun to fly under.

The Graphics look wonderful, the program is in my opinion cheap for the amount of work put in to create it. Shame about the hardware costs though ? Let's start with a top end unit for 5k, we want smooth frame rates with everything turned up.. don't we? Now let's add a yoke, pedals, throttle, radio panel, auto pilot panel, a couple of extra monitors and why not get a motion frame as well! ....might just have to talk the club treasurer to apply for a 10 or 15k grant to build one! ?.

Wayne