Gazelle bungee cords for undercarriage

Heather

Thanks for your reply. We did get a quote from Gympie and as you said VERY EXPENSIVE. We did hear they were manufactured in Tasmania but don't know by who.

If anyone has any info on this we would be very grateful.

Were your bungees for a skyfox or gazelle. apparently they are different. I did see the cord on spruce but wasn't sure. John McBride said gazelles have some sort of vulcanised blocks??

Were your bungees for a skyfox or gazelle. apparently they are different. I did see the cord on spruce but wasn't sure. John McBride said gazelles have some sort of vulcanised blocks??

Hi Heather,

Yup - no bungees on a Gazelle - they are vulcanized blocks like the man said. We recently replaced ours with newer undercarriage struts from another Gazelle that was being rebuilt (with different undercarriage as a taildragger) and they were spare. Perhaps you may be lucky and do the same if you advertise....

Cheers

Neil

Hi Heather,

The CFI at my club suggested you consider replacing the original undercarriage with the one used in the Eurofox - more modern, less drag etc.

Maybe worth thinking about anyway....

Cheers

Neil

Why don't you use bungees from avid flyer or Kit fox (I think the gazelle is a kit fox with a different cowling)MicheL

The Gazelle is a nose wheel version of a SKYFOX and the Kit Fox and Avid Flyer are American designs however their bungees could work as you say, I've never looked that close to see.

Alan.

Can anyone suggest where to buy replacement bungees for gazelle and what price to expect to pay please

Hi Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation in Caloundra ( 07 54488991) has been a great source of items. I just got a new set of undercarriage for my Skyfox. He did them straight away and delivery was fast. Totally recommend. He also said he is flying a new set of wings that are aluminium skinned early newyear after xmas. Things are looking up for the Skyfoxs.

Cheers

Mike

Guest pookemon

The gazelle has the vulcanised blocks (part of the preflight is to check them). While you could replace them or the undercarriage with something else I would think that that would void your certification status making the aircraft fit under the "Experimental" category (thus losing it's 24- rego - if you have it). Though I guess it depends on what CASA/RAA as a modification? Using bungy cord may not matter, changing the actual undercarriage definitely would matter.

• 6 months later...

Hi All

I have a skyfox gazelle ( G-IDAY ) up here in Scotland,Uk and at the most recent annual check it was suggested that the rubber be changed on the undercarriage, so would be happy to hear from anyone who supplies these or indeed any spare parts for the plane.

Glad to be part of this forum as it is very helpful.

Cheers

Graham

• Like 1

Hi AllI have a skyfox gazelle ( G-IDAY ) up here in Scotland,Uk and at the most recent annual check it was suggested that the rubber be changed on the undercarriage, so would be happy to hear from anyone who supplies these or indeed any spare parts for the plane.

Glad to be part of this forum as it is very helpful.

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,

Not sure if you had seen the previous posts in this thread, but have you given the following guys a call?

Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation in Caloundra ( +61 7 54488991), and also

Tony Kerr at Gympie in QLD (+61 7 5483 5170)

No idea how much they might be, but Gazelle parts are obviously going to be difficult to source these days....

Cheers

Neil (good Scottish name 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif)

Hi all. I'm not after the main gear suspension but would like to get my hands on some replacement donuts or biscuits for the front leg as it has about a 100mm slap before taking up. Dealer is hasn't come good. Interested in info from anyone who has delt with this problem..........Cheers, Frosty

Hi all. I'm not after the main gear suspension but would like to get my hands on some replacement donuts or biscuits for the front leg as it has about a 100mm slap before taking up. Dealer is hasn't come good. Interested in info from anyone who has delt with this problem..........Cheers, Frosty

Hi Kevin can you upload an image of the donut? Are they swaged? I have not seen these just curious. I know the byungee setup for the tail draggers.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, sorry can't do as we haven't disassembled the leg yet. I thought someone on this site may have done the exercise and could tell us what we needed so we could do the job in one go. I'm not sure what is inside the strut. Can't find any drawings. My friend who owns the A/C contacted the agents who call them Biscuits. Been a few weeks now and no joy. I would expect there is a number of compresion rubbers inside. We'll have to strip it down and find out..............Thanks, Frosty

Hi Mike, sorry can't do as we haven't disassembled the leg yet. I thought someone on this site may have done the exercise and could tell us what we needed so we could do the job in one go. I'm not sure what is inside the strut. Can't find any drawings. My friend who owns the A/C contacted the agents who call them Biscuits. Been a few weeks now and no joy. I would expect there is a number of compresion rubbers inside. We'll have to strip it down and find out..............Thanks, Frosty

Hi Frosty

Try looking up shock cord rings in the aircraft spruce catalog (page 270 in the 2011-2012 edition) as your required size may be in thier listing.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...
Guest Curandero
Hi HeatherTony Kerr at Gympie in Queensland 07 5483 5170 . They are VERY expensive if I remember correctly $600 each

Cheers

John

Hi Heather, how did you get on ? I was quoted $1900 plus gst plus postage from Rob Stowe Coastal Aviation. Could they have trebled in price in one year? I bought the front oleo biscuits from him and they are installed and ok and the price was manageable. I feel I should at least look for a better price if it is possible for the vulcanised rubber. I don't want to lose my 24 rego by making major changes.

Curandero South Australia

Hi Heather, how did you get on ? I was quoted $1900 plus gst plus postage from Rob Stowe Coastal Aviation. Could they have trebled in price in one year? I bought the front oleo biscuits from him and they are installed and ok and the price was manageable. I feel I should at least look for a better price if it is possible for the vulcanised rubber. I don't want to lose my 24 rego by making major changes.Curandero South Australia

$1900,,,, I know what the bungee cord is worth and how long it takes to make them,,,,,,did the guy at the other end of the phone mention putting your hands up at the time of payment

Guest Curandero
$1900,,,, I know what the bungee cord is worth and how long it takes to make them,,,,,,did the guy at the other end of the phone mention putting your hands up at the time of payment

Hi Metalman, No, the 2 shocker rubbers are vulcanised around a metal part. The price is a shocker of its own but I will try Tony Kerr in Gympie and see if he can help. Other wise ....... Who knows what Coastal Aviation had to pay for them. I'm not doing anything but looking for other possible prices. I have to have the product. I realise that the word 'Aviation' means more cost and have experienced much good value since coming to recreational flying: I won't jump to conclusions at this stage.

Curandero

• 4 years later...
Can anyone suggest where to buy replacement bungees for gazelle and what price to expect to pay please

Hi all, We now have the new design Skyfox shock struts available! These have been passed by the Engineer and we are manufacturing these now. It has been a drawn out process but the new design is much better than the old rubber and shear and more cost effective. Thanks from Coastal Aviation (07) 5448 8991.

• Like 1

Hi Metalman, No, the 2 shocker rubbers are vulcanised around a metal part. The price is a shocker of its own but I will try Tony Kerr in Gympie and see if he can help. Other wise ....... Who knows what Coastal Aviation had to pay for them. I'm not doing anything but looking for other possible prices. I have to have the product. I realise that the word 'Aviation' means more cost and have experienced much good value since coming to recreational flying: I won't jump to conclusions at this stage.Curandero

Hi all, We now have the new design Skyfox shock struts available! These have been passed by the Engineer and we are manufacturing these now. It has been a drawn out process but the new design is much better than the old rubber and shear and more cost effective. Thanks from Coastal Aviation (07) 5448 8991.

• Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Coastal just read this post. Could you post an image of the new design fitted to the Gazelle as I'm sure people would be keen to see them. Great to see your support for supply of parts for the Skyfoxs. The two replacement legs (CA21 taildragger)I got from you years ago were great. Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old posts but my Gazelle has a new design set of struts fitted, light grey colour, bungee cords encased in black vynal bags. Sorry don’t have pic yet. One thing, if you replace old struts, weigh them and write up the whole change and any weight change details...otherwise on the next condition report, you will be looking at paying for another W&B to be done.