Gday from Gympie

Hunsta

G'day Hunsta,

When you get up to the cross-country, call in to the Childers airstrip.  Usually a morning tea on Wednesdays and people around most times.  We have functions from time to time, like fly-in breakfast, just had the Oz-STOL competition.  The Isis Flying Club is a happy group of active aviators with about 20 hangars and a good club house.  Meetings 1st Sat of each month at 10am.  Welcome to drive up to talk planes and flying.

Sue

• Like 3

Welcome Hunsta this is a great forum, Dont forget Gympie Aero Club has a Facebook page, and of course there is the Aero club breakfast the first Sunday of every month starting at 8 am, open to all aviators.

• Like 1

Gday all. Thanks for the welcome. Im all ready on the Gympie Aero FB page. Well following it anyway. Yes as soon as Im able to venture afar I will hopefully be able to drop in (or land appropriately )to regional aerodromes. intend to start flight training by mid March.

Cheers

Craig

Gday all. Thanks for the welcome. Im all ready on the Gympie Aero FB page. Well following it anyway. Yes as soon as Im able to venture afar I will hopefully be able to drop in (or land appropriately )to regional aerodromes. intend to start flight training by mid March.

Cheers

Craig

Call in there before March,  I'm sure someone will take you for a fly or two. Enjoy the training when you start. Cheers.

• Like 1

G,day Hunsta, you,ve got the right training spot in picking Gympie i believe now all you need to do is pick the school with the right attitude for YOU.  And that does not necessarily relate to economy either.   I trained their in a cub and drove 180 ks each day eachway to do so,  but i wanted  to start at the start and with the best eh,  cheers Mick

• Like 2

G,day Hunsta, you,ve got the right training spot in picking Gympie i believe now all you need to do is pick the school with the right attitude for YOU.  And that does not necessarily relate to economy either.   I trained their in a cub and drove 180 ks each day eachway to do so,  but i wanted  to start at the start and with the best eh,  cheers Mick

Mick your absolutely right. I have been in contact with 4 flight schools. And I will be going with the one who yes had an attitude to student and flight training I like the most.(I wont mention names).

I look forward to starting.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the aviation community. I am one of the organisers for Oz-STOL, drop over to our facebook page. We will be announcing 2020 fly-in competition dates very soon.

Catch you around the airfield.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1

She was the real deal Craig a 1946 j3 piper cub fully rebuilt in1986 with zero modern shit in it except the radio and hand proped. The yanks built 19,600 of them to train all their airmen during WW two and alongside the tigermoth ( Commonwealth ) is still the penultimate training aircraft in my opinion. Give the modern shit a miss untill trained the old way is my advice sir and you will learn more and better. Cheers

• Winner 1

She was the real deal Craig a 1946 j3 piper cub fully rebuilt in1986 with zero modern shit in it except the radio and hand proped. The yanks built 19,600 of them to train all their airmen during WW two and alongside the tigermoth ( Commonwealth ) is still the penultimate training aircraft in my opinion. Give the modern shit a miss untill trained the old way is my advice sir and you will learn more and better. Cheers

Aaaagh. Have about 10hr up in a J3. Alas only on sim Im afraid. I'd say Im along ways away from novice to tail dragger certified. One day.

• 1 month later...

They were all (T/W )that was about at one time. Not rocket science. Just"different". Up here for thinkin, Down there for dancin.. Learn to 3 point and use your feet.  from the start.  IF it's available.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

They were all (T/W )that was about at one time. Not rocket science. Just"different". Up here for thinkin, Down there for dancin.. Learn to 3 point and use your feet.  from the start.  IF it's available.. Nev

I believe you would be right. But there's a huge gulf between novice and long time pilot. When it comes to "up there for thinking and down there for dancing" when you dont know how to foxtrot. Let alone waltz.?

• Like 1

No harm in giving it a go. People started on tailwheel once as that's all there was. . Of course all the instructors were proficient on them too. When you first got on a pushbike it would have felt "funny".. On the other hand  IF you don't get comfortable in the time frame you allow yourself It's NOT compulsory and you will still be better at keeping weight off the nosewheel.  Nev

• Like 1