Glide Distance Vixxen?

jackc

Wanting to know the approximate glide specs in distance per 1000ft @ optimum glide speed (which I think is 55kn?)

Cheers,

Jack.

Flaps will never increase your gliding distance. Wind and aircraft weight will affect your best glide speed. IF you are gliding into wind you need a faster speed to maximise the distance. you can go. Nev

• Agree 1

Wanting to know the approximate glide specs in distance per 1000ft @ optimum glide speed (which I think is 55kn?)

Cheers,

Jack.

You could gather your own data on a light wind day using GPS, best glide is 59kn. I will guess 2nm per 1000'. It will be a bit steeper with the prop stopped compared to idle.

Cheers,

Jack.

Here is a calculator. You can put your own specs in.

[/url]http://www.csgnetwork.com/glideratiocalc.html

Foxbat has 11-1 at 60 kts from memory, so the Vixen should be slightly better...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for replies, got this info back from Foxbat

The A32 has a very high L/D glide ratio at 12 to 1(!) The A22LS Foxbat achieve 9 to 1. Numbers are achieved at MTOW, at best glide speed.

A22LS Foxbat/Kelpie - 9 to 1 - For every 1,000ft you go down, you travel 1.48 miles forward at MTOW @ Vg.

A32 Vixxen - 12 to 1 - For every 1,000ft you go down, you travel 1.97 miles forward at MTOW @ Vg.

Cheers,

Jack.

Pretty impressive. The difference between the Foxbat and A32 is huge and shows what can be achieved cleaning up. They are the same wing I think.

Pretty impressive. The difference between the Foxbat and A32 is huge and shows what can be achieved cleaning up. They are the same wing I think.

That's the main reason for all the streamlining I did on my Jodel. It used to be less than 1:7 but is now around 1:10 at 55kt. That little extra glide distance will be welcome if the noise stops.