Gyrocopter crash claims life of 26yo Yaraka man. 22 Jun 2020

Check out the App what3words. Very useful if you have a cell or data signal and GPS and are lost or injured somewhere and cannot pinpoint your position. Saved a women's life in Scotland some years back and recently a friend of mine fell of his bike and badly gashed his left leg. Unable to move he sent the 3 words pinpointing his location....I was able to get to him within the half hour. Also very useful for taxi pick ups in the cities...it even works in the air with only a GPS signal.

Edited by lee-wave
  • Like 1

Check out the App what3words. Very useful if you have a cell or data signal and GPS and are lost or injured somewhere and cannot pinpoint your position. Saved a women's life in Scotland some years back and recently a friend of mine fell of his bike and badly gashed his left leg. Unable to move he sent the 3 words pinpointing his location....I was able to get to him within the half hour. Also very useful for taxi pick ups in the cities...it even works in the air with only a GPS signal.

I have it on my devices. Not used yet but I can see the value.

One of the problems with what3words is they utilise satellite maps for "entry points" - but satellite imaging is often woefully out of date. In many country areas of Australia, satellite imaging records can be several years old.

Rapid development in numerous areas means major changes that satellite imaging does not record. You get to the area, and find everything is different on the ground, as compared to what the satellite imaging is telling you.

...Rapid development in numerous areas means major changes that satellite imaging does not record...

That is very true of urban and larger rural centres, but the glacial pace of change in most small towns means they would still be recognisable to early 20th Century residents.

• Agree 1

Maybe not as flash as satellite messaging but good in phone coverage areas is the Emergency+ App it has a button for 000, police 131444 and also the SES. It also gives your current Co-ordinate location along with an address, ideal in an emergency situation, if you remember to use it.

I was unlucky / lucky to have my Ford Terrorist, er Territory catch on fire November 2019 whilst towing a caravan to Deniliquin, just rung 000 but would have been better to use the app to ring fire factory, I was able to give approx location and in the end just told the operator to tell them to look for the smoke, which closed the Cobb Hwy for the best part of an hour.