Gyrocopter crash in Victoria

red750

A two seat orange gyrocopter has crashed in shallow water on the Mornington Peninsula at Cannons Creek. One person currently trapped inside, another under assessment. - Sky News.

Stock photo - Google images. Similar to type involved as seen in aerial video.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest asmol

Why oh why do we lose so many pilots to low-level flight ? I can't understand why we get so many people running into power lines

Orange gyro just like old mates that shared his low flying video around Inverloch / Venus Bay on tell us about your last flight page a few days ago. (Aug 1)

Guess if your low enough you will hit power lines

Alf

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Why oh why do we lose so many pilots to low-level flight ? I can't understand why we get so many people running into power lines

Most of Australia's hard to see infrastructure is below 500 feet.

CASA has had a minimum flight rule for many years.

You can stay out of this category of statistic by doing your airwork above 500 feet.

• Agree 1

minimum height for gyro 300ft, need endorsement to fly above 500ft, opposite to fixed wing.

The above author (Pilot in question) from a post in January. Depends on the height of the wires

Guest GraemeM

"minimum height for gyro 300ft, need endorsement to fly above 500ft, opposite to fixed wing."

That statement is correct in relation to gyroplanes.

"minimum height for gyro 300ft, need endorsement to fly above 500ft, opposite to fixed wing."

I can't find a photograph, but the power line poles behind a TV reporter and immediately above the wreckage didn't look anywhere near 300 ft, not even 150 ft.

"minimum height for gyro 300ft, need endorsement to fly above 500ft, opposite to fixed wing."That statement is correct in relation to gyroplanes.

Can you point us to a Casa exemption Graeme; that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, particularly since powerline collisions are one of the most common hazards.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

One more example of where responsible pilots will have to take the heat for the cowboys!

Condolences to all involved.

When will they learn?

• Agree 4

When I first joined these forums many of the members described their flying, or the flying they aspired to as "low and slow". haven't heard nearly so much of it lately, I thought it must have been going out of fashion, surely they haven't all crashed.

Guest Crezzi
Can you point us to a Casa exemption Graeme; that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, particularly since powerline collisions are one of the most common hazards.

CAO 95.12

One more example of where responsible pilots will have to take the heat for the cowboys!Condolences to all involved.

When will they learn?

They won't Butch, it can never happen to them, it always happens to someone else they think but sadly this is not the first and won't be the last until pilots change their flying habits

Alf

• Agree 1

They won't Butch, it can never happen to them, it always happens to someone else they think but sadly this is not the first and won't be the last until pilots change their flying habits

I agree Alf,

The stats are running at 1 death a month for us.

I don't think its lack of training, just a lack of respect for our sport.

Play by the rules hopefully no one gets hurt....

stay safe,

Butch

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard
I agree Alf,The stats are running at 1 death a month for us.

I don't think its lack of training, just a lack of respect for our sport.

Play by the rules hopefully no one gets hurt....

stay safe,

Butch

This gyro is more than likely registered with the gyro federation, as most are.

This gyro is more than likely registered with the gyro federation, as most are.

Rego G-4848 shown on the video on channel 9, but the rego doesn't change the result. We have still lost another brother, too many!

• Agree 1