Hangarage Costs?

walrus

FWIW, I pay $300/Month at Somersby NSW and that includes usage rights.

I did pay $135/month at Cessnock for 6 months or so but that was a gentleman's agreement just to cover the (then plane-less) lease-holders costs until he sold that spot.

I would say $250 per month, $3,000 per year. Say a hangar costs $100,000 then the interest at say 5% is $5,000 then add Rates and lease charges another $1,000 so hangar owner pays $6,000 and if it is a two plane hangar then $3,000 each plane. There is no profit in that. And I forgot hangar insurance.

• Agree 1

Last time I checked, Moorabbin hangar was around 11k per year or around 8k for grass parking (access fees included).

Lilydale, Tooradin, Tyabb were around 5k for hangar, outside parking around 1.5k per year.

All above is subject to availability.

Don't forget almost everything in aviation has +GST...

Canberra grass is 3500 year including all u can eat aerodrtome access. I don't like the idea of parking outside in CBR all year due to the high diurnal variation and regular fogs leading to much condensation in tanks and body...

Hangar share space at South Grafton is from about $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 a year plus $200.00 a year aerodrome usage charge. Cheap as chips. There is no Grass parking except temporarily for visitors and there is currently no hangar space available.

RF, there was a double decker built at Stonfield gliding club in SA about 5 years ago. Afaik, the builder moved on after a series glider prang in Europe I think. I only viewed it empty and don't know if it was ever used as such

Ken

Hangar share space at South Grafton is from about $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 a year plus $200.00 a year aerodrome usage charge. Cheap as chips. There is no Grass parking except temporarily for visitors and there is currently no hangar space available.

Last time I was there the only parking was in a swale, I had to hope there was no rain for a few days.

Every school's aircrafts that I know of are parked outside and you rarely see heavy rust on them because they are flown regularly. Surely it is better if your aircraft is hangared, but nothing wrong if it' parked outside (preferably bitumen). Make sure you fly it at least once a week, which is good both for aircraft and a pilot..

I guess flying almost daily, fuel is replenished regularly and water doesn't get a chance to accumulate in big quantities, engines are kept run , I can expect canberra grass to assist condensation with high diurnal variations and propensity for fog.

Every school's aircrafts that I know of are parked outside and you rarely see heavy rust on them because they are flown regularly. Surely it is better if your aircraft is hangared, but nothing wrong if it' parked outside (preferably bitumen). Make sure you fly it at least once a week, which is good both for aircraft and a pilot..

An aircraft parked outside will always deteriorate much faster than one that is hangared. Alumium does not rust but still corrodes especially when the elements convert pollutants in the atmosphere to acid when humidity is high. Water will find its way into many parts after rain especially after a major downpour or when it is consistent over a period and the additional exposure to UV radiation will hasten the deterioration of paint and exposed composites. If your aircraft is parked outside on the coast the salt air will get in to everything and corrosion can be quite rapid. Regular use and washing will slow the process down.

• Like 1

I wonder, if parking on the grass just how much one can get away with some sort of anchored arch cover over your aircraft . In the Canberra airport usage deed , there isn't anything specific to prohibit it except it must form part of the aircraft (my interpretation) If the cover was somehow attached to the aircraft (a rope) permanently, that would form part of the aircraft... arguably maybe . Putting aside anchor requirements and structure rigidity- they can all be overcome with advanced design.

I wonder, if parking on the grass just how much one can get away with some sort of anchored arch cover over your aircraft . In the Canberra airport usage deed , there isn't anything specific to prohibit it except it must form part of the aircraft (my interpretation) If the cover was somehow attached to the aircraft (a rope) permanently, that would form part of the aircraft... arguably maybe . Putting aside anchor requirements and structure rigidity- they can all be overcome with advanced design.

I’m sure they would ask does it remain or go with the aircraft every flight. If it remains it would need approval and a yearly fee.