Have a Jab 230 to recommission

coinz

Hello Jabiru owners,I'm looking for a L2 in the Meriden (wa) area to help out in getting this Jab back in the air after

a long period of inactivity in a hanger.Best to just give me a call on 0403766088 or SMS,Colin

Good luck coinz. Meredin is not humid, so the engine should not be rusty but it needs checking. As for the airframe, going through the yearly inspection schedule and giving things a good clean and lube should be enough.

Hello Jabiru owners,I'm looking for a L2 in the Meriden (wa) area to help out in getting this Jab back in the air aftera long period of inactivity in a hanger.Best to just give me a call on 0403766088 or SMS,Colin

Was this the J230 hangared at Narambeen till recently?

Had that Jab from Narambeen been tied down outside? I have seen a Pipistrel needing a strip and repaint from being kept outdoors.

False economy to do this to any glass plane. A cheap hangar is less than the refinish costs.

We sure don't see any glass stuff stored outside at Gawler. I don't like to see even metal planes outside.

Bruce, I don't think your advice post #2 is wise. You cannot guarantee the engine is not affected adversely in storage since I would doubt if it was inhibited. More than a litre of water is formed for each litre of fuel burned. Used oil contains water and acids. It's too risky to not check. It would be illegal with a GA plane to NOT do a proper inspection.. Give the engine a chance . Do it right.. Nev

• Agree 1

There's no reason for it not to be rusty. Jabiru bores are notorious for it. The NEW type won't suffer from it at all, but that still leaves exhaust stems and guides and that applies to lots of engines. Humidity is not the big factor INSIDE an engine . Its the products of combustion and oil contamination that do the damage there. AIr cannot flow through a sitting motor to any extent. at all.

. An original motor inhibited can be stored quite a while. The inhibitor process needs refreshing. Once a motor has been used it's much harder to get it effectively inhibited but I know no one who does it even though it's NECESSARY to keep it useable In this aspect prevention is better than cure. It's a distinct safety issue. A looked after plane looks after YOU., but you have to know how to look after it . Nev

Yes it was the J230 at Narembeen,part of a deceased estate tidy up.Got it for $12k as it needs a respray and yes the cyls will come off for a check.It's being taken care of right now.As far as i know it was in the hanger for 3 years untouched.Having no experience with Jabs one of the things i was surprised at was how cool the wings remained even when we had taken it out of the hanger into the direct WA sun for a few hours,i expected them to be really hot but they were not.Thanks to those who phoned with advice,

cheers

colin

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
Just out of interest coinz - did you find a L2 anywhere near Merredin - Thanks

Yes bandit,new cyls (alloy) and strip and paint being done over there.Original steel Cyls (248 hours) were rusted,cleaned up ok but turned out to be pitted.colin