G'day from newbie

RRamjet

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif hello all, i've been 'cajoled' into putting up an intro post. I have a ga licence but like many find the cost prohibitive. I have flown an old Jab which i find awkward (strange controls!) but I loved the texan! I fly at katoomba, possibly the craziest airfield outside of new guinea. Currently fantising about a dragonfly (the uk version)...

thanx

Ta for very quick reply... i have landed a couple of times at camden, wanted to fly the Decathlon that was there... don't know if it's still there... see you in the big blue, possibly in a gazelle.... cheers.

Hi RRamjet,

Good choices all round! :thumb_up: I learnt to fly in a Texan, and now part-own a Gazelle...

Good luck with both! Let us know how you get on.

Happy Landings

Neil

Weather or not..

Well Super K, it's 'open' every day that Rod (instructor who runs it) can get custom and clear skies! The weather is notorious in the upper mountains, many days 'cloud on ground'...036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

as far as 'looks like', small club house with weekly bbq, hanger with jab and gazelle, dirt strip , check google earth.... i haven't got photos at moment.

cheers

Katoomba

Hi RRamjet,

I'd heard there was a strip at Katoomba and had spotted it on Google Earth, but had decided it must've been closed down as I couldn't find any further info anywhere on the web. Is there any way of getting more details as I am in the process of finding a flight school and live just down the hill?

Cheers,

Lexman.

yes Lexman KAT is open!

Best I can suggest is if you get Recreation aviation mag, look to schools etc and find Hayair which is Rod's no. Be persistant, one and a half man show,(not web savvy, old school,maybe i'll offer to make a page!!) very busy getting fuel tanks resealed.. as i've said, taking off to north is an eye opener ie no forced landing areas :black_eye:...

I believe landing fees are $10....

If you can't get info post again and i'll try to give more..

cheers

Hi RRamjet,

We are not really comparing apples with apples here - the Gazelle is fun because it is slow (we cruise at 70kts), and has no flaps, so it calls for some sideslipping from time to time if a bit high on approach. Good for pottering around locally enjoying the view through the perspex doors.

The Texan is fun as it is faster (100 kts cruise), and has larger range (90+ litre tanks), so better for cross country flying. 100hp Rotax uses more fuel, of course, vs 80hp.

Take your pick!

Cheers

Neil

Gday Gav, welcome mate. Its great to have another YKAT pilot onboard.

Here,s a couple of links for the place, and some of my vids and pics.

And for anyone wanting to come in to YKAT. All info is in ERSA.

Please take the time to read it, we have LEFT and RIGHT hand circuits.

All welcome

PS. I passed my X-country exam on Sunday after you left. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Cheers Steve

Katoomba Airfield Medlow Bath

YKAT Katoomba Airfield pictures by Aussie_Steve01 - Photobucket

Well Done!

Well done steve :thumb_up:, now the solo... have looked at kat site... very professional, don't know how much time you put in. Couldn't get video to stream, will try again later.

Cheers :big_grin: