Hi, just moved to Sydney

P Tran

Hi all, my name is PT. I thought I'd just introduce myself.

I recently moved to Sydney from Melbourne. I have an RPL, mostly in a C172. Although I haven't flown for about two years but have been itching to get back into finishing my PPL.

I'm sort of a person of habit, I was very happy and comfortable with my last school (Moorabbin Flight Training) so being in a new city it has taken me quite a while to motivate myself enough to finding a new place to continue my learning.

I've also been looking for a friendly online community to join, and this place feels rather nice. Some of the more popular ones aren't so friendly. So I hope this is the place where I can hang out to read and talk about our stories of learning, growing and love for flying.

Cheers, PT.

• Like 2

PT,

If you want to continue your flight training in that type of aircraft, get yourself down to Camden Airport and talk to Curtis Aviation. If you want to train in RAAus types, you could see Gostner Aviation at Camden, or make your way a few Ks further out to The Oaks where there are a couple of RAAus schools.

The benefit of flying out of either of these two places is that you don't have to taxi for miles to get to the runway, and you are in the training area as soon as you leave the circuit. More learning for each dollar spent.

• Like 1

The benefit of flying out of either of these two places is that you don't have to taxi for miles to get to the runway, and you are in the training area as soon as you leave the circuit. More learning for each dollar spent.

The main problem with Camden - it is 70 kms from city. One hour of driving even without jams on M5, on workdays - 2 hours, it is comparable with trip to Wollongong airport (if start from South and especially Shire) and it does not cover the price difference with Bankstown. It is ok if you live and work somewhere on West, but in this case where to get the money for such an expensive toy?

Bankstown training area is Badgery Creek, 7-8 mins from runway entry. Not very critical time loss, and anyway this is flight time busy with all these procedures-checks-communication-etc, active training on the full throttle. Not too much time to waste just keeping the course.

• Like 1

You won't be training or operating out of Bankstown when Western Sydney Airport opens.

It took me an hour and a half to get to Bankstown from Camden last Wednesday morning, and I know ways to avoid most of the traffic. 

You won't be training or operating out of Bankstown when Western Sydney Airport opens.

It took me an hour and a half to get to Bankstown from Camden last Wednesday morning, and I know ways to avoid most of the traffic. 

When western airport opens Camden will be shut too. No way to upkeep G there, everything will be C for 20 km around, may be with small entry-exit lanes only. But it will be not tomorrow. I think when it happens everybody moves to Wollongong.

Yes, with traffic even a trip Camden-Bankstown can be 1.5h, and to city (in reality in opposite direction, after job in inner Sydney to airport) it will be 2-2.5. Even City-Bankstown from 1500 to 1800 is nightmare, and when I have to go to Ingleburn to my courses on Mondays night, it can take 1.5h or more. Without any way to avoid jams, as everything is the same.

First rule of travelling by road in Sydney: Don't use motorways.

I have to go to Circular Quay tomorrow morning to be there by about 8:00 am. Leave Camden area about 6:30. M5 to Heathcote Road. Heathcote Rd to Milperra Rd near Bankstown airport. Milpera Rd/Canterbury Rd to Hurlestone Park. Old Canterbury Rd to the Western Distributor. Over Anzac Bridge, down past Darling Harbour to Walsh Bay. Be there by 8:00. No sweat.

I have to go to Circular Quay tomorrow morning to be there by about 8:00 am. Leave Camden area about 6:30. M5 to Heathcote Road. Heathcote Rd to Milperra Rd near Bankstown airport. Milpera Rd/Canterbury Rd to Hurlestone Park. Old Canterbury Rd to the Western Distributor. Over Anzac Bridge, down past Darling Harbour to Walsh Bay. Be there by 8:00. No sweat.

Why not take the train from Macarthur to Circular Quay ? .. Even less sweat .

Because I went there to pick up twelve people plus luggage from a cruise ship. 

Left home about 6:40 and got to the Quay at 8:30. For some reason there was extra traffic on the back roads.  Return trip only took an hour.

It does not work except some specific points (m5 tunnel etc) and special conditions (crash, roadworks etc). My usual evening trip Wolli Creek (or at least M3 area) - Ingleburn takes the same time via m5 or via Canterbury/Milperra rd. Less long jams with average speed 25 kmh, more traffic light stops where you lose 3-5 mins standing still before you can go ahead with 50 kmh.