High-Wing Fueling Survey

Guest Machtuk

A better way of fuelling a high wing plane would be great but there are lots of considerations outside of the actual design. Cost, availability at most dromes, weight, portability, ease of use stowage. Good luck ?

Where you you hail from, squire? Also, note, the weight answers are likely to be in KG, not lbs...

I'm from Indiana and more specifically, KHHG. And you're right about the metric answers, I didn't think of that until later. Thank you everyone for helping out!

A better way of fuelling a high wing plane would be great but there are lots of considerations outside of the actual design. Cost, availability at most dromes, weight, portability, ease of use stowage. Good luck ?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take all this into consideration. I fuel aircraft daily as my part-time job and agree that all these things are important to me as well.

Designing a ladder for constant ground use refuelling, requires a different design to one that has to be carried on an aircraft and stowed. Weight and bulkiness is not such a concern with the former, as compared to the latter.

As to materials, fibreglass is regarded as a highly satisfactory construction material, with regard to cost, and with regard to conductivity.

• 3 weeks later...

Did your survey. That’s a lot of work you’ve put in. I see the problem with the ladders in your survey pics that don’t go high enough on those really high wing planes.

Good luck.