Flying Theory Quiz

Here's a idea, what are your thoughts guys and gals?

As it should be, there's been a fair bit of talk on this forum about the rights and wrongs of rules, procedures and principles of flight, training, etc. What do you think about a thread -or forum heading -something along the lines of "Guess the Airstrip", where a genuine question is posedfor others to answer withan expectation of "being marked right or wrong" and where appropriate, elaboration given to help us all understand the "why of it" with perhaps reference to supporting material (CAO, AIP, RA-Aus Ops & Tech Manuals, etc). Also, where there's no black and white answer available we shouldbe open todiscuss varying opinions.

The questions being asked might be from someone who is unsure of something, or from others with the knowledge keen to see that knowledge being passed on to all. No question should be considered too basic (we might be surprised tofindwe're not sure ofsome basics smiley9.gif) or too advanced (we could all do with being stretchedsmiley31.gif ).

I would see theaim of this to aid the learning experience for all of us both veterans and beginners, as well as contributing to the interest of forum users.Besides, I doubt any of us would dumb enoughto claimwe alreadyknow it all smiley14.gif.

After all, isn't this one of the aims of this forum?

Waddayathink?

Paul

Hi Paul

That sounds like an idea that couldwork if people are game enough to stick their necks out firstly in giving an example whether it be real or imagined and next doing it again by offering a solution or a number of alternative solutions.

Or we could set upmultiple choice quizes like those used to test GA pilots.I did my RAA training at Griffith Aero Club. The hired JabiruI flew I think had about 50 hours on it when I started.Up 'tillthen the Griffith Aero Club had been almost exclusively involved in GA pilot training. I found a number of quizes used for GA training.I found them to be quite usefulin my case in expanding and clarifying airmanship and and technical issues when qualifying fortheendorsements onmy "Official Certificate" from Recreational Aviation Australia ABN 40 070 931 645.

Of course the quizes werefor GA pilots but we still need to understand what GA pilots are doing and they need to understand what we are doing. There was little in most of the quizes that was not applicable to RAA pilots.

I think that setting up the quizes could covera lotof the situations that occur but Paul's idea would be used for more clarification when required by anybody. It obviously could dealwith new situations not covered by the present rules and regulations. As Paul says it would present an opportunity to put a number of viewpoints on these isuues, a debate if you like. Of course both venues would not onlycover rules and regulations. Anothergainwould be in explaining technical flying issuesand new equipment.

Quite a few people seem to want to be anonymous in these forums which I feel reduces the effectiveness of their comments. I feel as though I always want to know where does this person come from and what is their name.

Regards

( Here's a idea, what are your thoughts guys and gals? )

Hi Paul

I agree, this would be an excellent way to improve our knowledge. We never stop learning if we have access to the tools. Well done for prompting this.

Regards

Ed

CLEAROF - a mnemonic to aid memory for in-flight cockpit checks.

C - Compass ... check heading, check magnetic variation has been taken into account, (where fitted) periodic (20 min intervals)alignment of DG with compass.

L - Log ... remember to log entries on flt plan

E - Engine ... usual eng checks (pwr setting, mixture, temps & pressures, carb heat, etc)

A - Altitude ... correct QNH (area or local), holding correct cleared alt, clear of cloud & traffic, at or above LSALT

R - Radio ... correct frq selected, nextreq'd frq on stdby, vol/sqlch set, ATC comms performed as req'd,xpdr set as req'd

O - Orientation ...a bit obvious but,conf on correct hdg (going the right direction), conf correct hemispherical alt, obs and chk ground features to conf on trk

F - Fuel ... (if appropriate) monitor tank selection, monitor fuel usage, fuel remaining and endurance against flt plan.

Being mindful ofthese checks makes one aware of the good sense in preparing and using a written flt plan for X country flying, esp over unfamiliar territory. A good aid to situational awareness and staying ahead of the a/c.

Thanks Rob, a good prompt to bring back stuff learned during training.

Quest 2

You are planning a t/off from a non-controlled strip in an a/c of MTOW 544kg and have just lined up at the threshhold. Another a/c of the same type has just taken off from the same 1900m rwy. The earliest you can commence your roll is when the other a/c is airborne and -

(a) beyond the upwind threshhold

(b) commenced to turn

© at least 300ft AAL

(d) at least 600m ahead of your expected lift off point

Guest Fred Bear

e. Immediately as both pilots are formation endorsed

The correct answer would be D or E.

Choice (D) is correct ... refer AIP Enroute 5.5.1.a (5) at http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/aip/enr/111112.pdf

Thank you Clem for the additional option as listed in the above AIP 5.5.2. ;)0.gif

It's worth knowing the other two possible exemptions to the rule, but which do not strictly apply to the question...

- in the case that the aerodrome has two active parallel runways (left + right), and

- to avoid wake turbulance from heavier a/c, a longer delay is advisable.

NEXT QUESTION PLEASE SOMEONE ... let's keep this thread running. It can be anything to do with aviation knowledge, practice or theory.

Hi Crew

Remembering that wake turbulence does not start until an aircraft is airborne or perhaps has the nose wheel off the groundand in the case of landing stops once the wheels are on the ground.

Regards Ross

OK, I'll go again.

Quest 3

Do you recall learning "Human Factors" during your training? This question is... why should a pilotdelay 24 hoursafter giving a blood donation before operating an a/c?

Because he had a beer after giveing blood? smiley15.gif

- Geoff, but having a beer or any alcohol for that matter irrespective of whether you gave blood or not would only stop you from flying for 8hrs.Which brings me to the point (sorry Paul for hijacking your post) that it is common that young people often "binge" drink so you could be totally intoxicated at 12:00pm and the next morning at 8:00am be taking off and still very intoxicated threatening your own life and even a passenger (a loved one etc) for that matter.

This one of those professional common sense questions everyone should ask themselves before they fly - "Am I ok to fly today?"

Speaking with a Forum Administrator point of view one of the concerns I had with supporting this thread was that whilst I believed it would be a great idea I was fearful that incorrect information may be posted raising concern of what a student may take on and apply in real life.

If we take for example the question of seperation when a preceding aircraft has taken off when can you start rolling? The answer given was "at least 600m ahead of your expected lift off point" which is right BUT only in some circumstances. I asked the Chief Instructor this very question yesterday and he gave an answer that was also correct but somewhat different. The correct question and answer with all strings attached is:

At a "Non-Controlled Aerodrome" you may not commence a take-off until an aircraft taking off before you has:

• Crossed the upwind end of the runway; or

• Commenced a turn; or

• If the runway is longer than 1,800 m, the preceding aircraft is airborne at least 1,800 m ahead of your proposed point of lift-off; or

• If both aircraft have a MTOW of less than 2,000 kg, and the preceding aircraft is airborne and at least 600 m ahead of your proposed lift-off point

So, the answer of 600 m is correct BUT only if both aircraft have a MTOW of less than 2,000 kg. What happens if a larger aircraft is in front that has a MTOW of greater than 2,000 kg on a 2,000 m runway.

As the Administrator this is the point I would like to make about this thread. I contacted the RA-Aus on whether someone there could moderate a forum of this type but the problem is both Chris and Lee would be the best people to do it but for example Lee is so busy and spends a lot of time in the field helping schools and clubs that again some incorrect information might get posted.

An option I have is that any posts made in this area are hidden until moderated then displayed but that could take some time before that happens - Thoughts?

Guest Fred Bear

It's a difficult situation as even the seemingly "correct" answers in the CASA exam or RA-Aus exam are often open to interpretation. Rather than posting actual questions with answers, perhaps discussion over the actual answer and the interpretation there-of.

I hope that makes sense. Even the most experienced CFI may have a differing interpretation of the "correct" answers.

Clem said "perhaps discussion over the actual answer and the interpretation there-of".

This was one of my aims for the thread ... discussion. The other, of course, is knowledge.

Ian's point about the possibility of incorrect information being learnt is valid. My thought is that any answer (or correction for that matter)should be supported by a valid (authoritative) reference and with, if necessary, well considered discussion.Surely, inmost instances, authoritative references like the AIP quotedin my earlierpost, should be adequate. But as Clem ably demonstrated, discussion of the topic and referencesource is sometimes not only helpful but necessaryfor a fuller understanding of the topic/answer. Having a theory Guru on standby as a thread moderator is ideal, but probably not going to happen. I expect Lee and Chris areway too busy to keep us "entertained" and with total respect to them both, they too may have to research reference sources at times to provide fully correct answers.

By way of example of helpful discussion, further to Clem's contribution about answer (e) to question 2, I filled out the exception to the rule by bringing to view the consideration of parallel runways and wake turb. Ian followed up in response to the correct answer to the original, carefully worded, question by asking "what if the preceedinga/c is heavier than 2000kg on a 2000m rwy?". With respect to the original question, answer (d) is correct as both a/c are of the same type and thus same MTOW, and less than 2000kg. However, if thepreceeding a/c isa heavy, then the AIPclause that Clem brought to our attention comes into play. As a rule of thumb an a/c should be considered by a following pilot as "a heavy" if it is twice the size/weight (or bigger)of his airplane. In which case he, as PIC,should exercise his responsibility as the ultimate decision maker with respect to the operation of his aircraft (CAR 224) and consider holding off for a longer delay, say 1-2 minutes (depending on how big the heavy is), before rolling to avoidany nasty effect from wake turb.

Getting back to your thought Ian, my feeling is that to "hide" the answers in this quiz thread, until checked and verified by a moderator, would be just too ponderous and quickly lead to disinterest by readers. Perhaps, to protect Ian (and the mugs offering "correct" answers), a disclaimer warning the need for readers to do their own research before acting upon information hereinshould be placed on this thread/forum (unless of course Ian has already done this).

Sorry to prattle on so much, Paul

Because he had a beer after giveing blood? smiley15.gif

Onya Geoff. He should be like me, don't drink ... you never know when someone might offer you a command and wouldn't it be sad to miss the opportunity to have a fly smiley36.gif.

Take a big breath and try again.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I'll go again. Quest 3

Do you recall learning "Human Factors" during your training? This question is... why should a pilotdelay 24 hoursafter giving a blood donation before operating an a/c?

By "mugs" above, I meant mugs like me. So, here we go sticking our neck out again smiley5.gif.

The answer is somewhere in the clue I gave Geoff ... "take abig breath". This is not such an issue for ultralighters like us who are restricted to a 5000ft ceiling. However, having said that there are times we do have to climb higher tomaybe close to10000 when this issue may have some consequences. Also, I know some readerswill eventually be headingdown the GA track soan understandingof hypoxia is important.

Trevor Thom puts it this way, hypoxia is the reduction of theoxygen carrying capacityof the blood. The brain needs oxygen for normal function, a reduction of which leads to disfunction (blurred vision, poor judgement, poor anddelayeddecision making, black out and ultimately death). As the body reaches higher alts (w/out the aid of oxygen supplementation and/or cabin pressurisation) the blood has less capacity to deliverneededoxygen.The normal healthy body can tolerate pressure and oxygen reduction happily up to about 10000ft AMSL, above this the effects of hypoxia can kick in. This may vary from person to person, not everyone has the same tolerance level. Other factors that may effect an individual's ability to tolerate the effects of reduced pressure/oxygen are: (a) Smoking has the effect of reducing one's tolerance by up to 4000ft to 5000ft, that is, it's like increasing the cabin altitude by that much thus risking the kick-in effects at lower real alts; (b) Anaemia of course reduces the bloods ability to carry oxygen; © Carbon monoxide poisoning (engine exhaust fumes) has the same effect as smoking; (d) Loss of blood (as in blood donation) reduces the blood's oxygen carrying ability.

Therefore ... it is recommended to delay piloting an a/c 24 hours after giving blood to avoid the risk of higher than usual susceptibility to hypoxia.

BTW, hypoxia can sneak up on you without you realising it's happening. Not that we rec pilots are ever likely to reach such dizzy heights but stats show that at 40,000ft a sudden loss of oxygen supply will render the brain unconcious in 12 to 15 secs. PaulN

Guest micgrace

Hi

I'd just like to add my two bits for what it's worth, I think the greatest danger to us in the RAA is Carbon Monoxide poisoning, not hypoxia.

Insidious gas that one. And recovery isn't easy from it's effects. I wonder if there is an exam question out there on it? Anyone?

Micgracesmiley1.gif

Hi Micgrace,

Thanks for your supportive note. The question of CO poisoning shows up regularly in PPL exams, like ...

If you suspected carbon monoxide was present in the cabin, you should: (choose one only)

(a) shut off cabin heat and continue the flight;

(b) reduce power and airspeed;

© increase fresh air supply and land ASAP;

(d) check the carbon monoxide indicator and remove if it has changed colour.

Paul

Re: Quest 4 - The good book says the other plane must if not a airship' date='glider or balloon give way to you but I would give a call on the radio and probably descend a Little[/quote'] Thanks Geoff,

I know the "right of way" rule and realise that this question represents my a/c as having right of way.I asked this question of a friend with many years/hours as a commercial operator/pilot and he suggested(a) you have right of way, he must give way to you, or (b) make a turn right to allow the other a/c to pass. Somehow I don't feel comfortable with this. If the otherpilot is heads down and faster than mechances are (a) he may not see me to give way, or (b) if I turn right I put him out of sight behind me and he mayend up slicing off my tailplane. Your opinion of altering altitude makes more sense ... except if over high terrain/cloud OR over high terrain and under low cloud (theoretically only of course). Also, with respect to radio contact, what ifhe happens to be tuned to a different freq to me (as sometimes happens).And I would think the option of turning left to pass him head on is really not a smartoption. Iexpect, when in the moment, my owninstinct too would be to quickly lose some height (even a mere 100ft) hoping of course I have spotted his alt relevant to mine correctly.

This question appears in a PPL exam I found on the net but not accompanied with answers. I still would like to hear from anyone out there with a "text book" answer and source of reference.

Paul

<TT><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Scenario:[/b]</TT><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">

<TT>You are flying along at a constant speed and altitude.</TT>

<TT>On your left side is a valley and on your right side is a airliner traveling at the same speed as you.</TT>

<TT>In front of you is a galloping pig which is the same size as youraircraft </TT>a<TT>nd you cannot overtake it. Behind you is a helicopter flying at the same level. Both the giant pig and the helicopter are also traveling at the </TT>

<TT>same speed as you.</TT>

<TT>What must you do to safely get out of this highly dangerous situation?</TT>

<TT>scroll down</TT>

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/b]

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/b]

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">

<TT>Answer:</TT>

<TT>Get off the children's "Merry-Go-Round", you're pissed.</TT>[/b]