How long between flights?

J170 Owner

Just curious, how long do you go between flights? I like to fly at least once a fortnight, even if it's just a few touch-n-goes. Once a week is even better. I have not flown since before Xmas due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm starting to get the shakes.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just curious, how long do you go between flights? I'm starting to get the shakes.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Well I'd like to go flying every couple of weeks but realistically, every 4 weeks will probably be achievable once the weather improves.

Those shakes are a common symptom of 'low altitude' sickness, which has only one cure - go flying.

Pud

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

I like at least once a week, not happy with going two weeks although it does happen sometimes due to other commitments. I was doing 4 hrs a week commuting to work 2 hrs down the coast, then flying another couple of hours after work, during the week.

More recently I did 1.5 last weekend with the daughter, flew late yesterday, then again this morning for about an hour each.............. you did ask !..................................................................Maj... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Howard Hughes

Normally about a week between flights for me (other duties getting in the way), still managing to do about 275-300 hours a year though.079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif

PS: Should be going flying today!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I think it depends upon experience, how long you can go between flights. I have been away on holiday and not flon for 3 months, no problem getting back into it, but maybe if you are a low time pilot it would not be so easy.

That has a lot to do with it Yenn. Also a circuit now and again hardly stresses the grey matter between your ears. People need to be up with the whole picture IF you are going to get right back into it, you would plan and do a well targetted programme of revision to be at the standard your new level of involvement would require. It's horses for courses. Some might be quite happy doing a circuit now and again but you shouldn't kid yourself that you are going to be a real hotshot if something special is required of you. You might be doing 30 hours a year but you would still need to be doing steep turns, steep gliding turns, efato, cross wind landings and go-rounds, etc in less than ideal conditions . A REAL flight review now and again with a warts and spots analysis doesn't hurt either. Might hurt your ego, but don't let that worry you too much. Nev

• Like 2

Just curious, how long do you go between flights? I like to fly at least once a fortnight, even if it's just a few touch-n-goes. Once a week is even better. I have not flown since before Xmas due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm starting to get the shakes.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Every 2 to 3 weeks for me sometimes longer with work or weather getting in the way. I make a point of practicing engine failures in curcuit,stalls, turns and reaction time to adopt best guilde and go through my checks before rehearsing the may day call. Sometime I stuff it up but it keeps it fresh.

Willborne

• Agree 1

Usually 2-3 weeks, at one point I flew twice in a week (first solo and second solo). Unfortunately now I probably won't be flying until June, don't know how I will cope.

See if you can at least go up as passenger with some of the other pilots and perhaps practice you navigation techniques.

See if you can at least go up as passenger with some of the other pilots and perhaps practice you navigation techniques.

Not up to nav training yet, but I will try to take some sporadic flights in this time (Harder though as I am moving away from the airport where I am training for the majority of the year for uni). I may go for a half hour fly with a GA school where I am moving too, just to keep somewhat current with aviation (And because I want to fly a Piper Warrior 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif)

My situation is a little bit different to most as my time is my own, I now have three strips on the property and the Drifter lives just 250 metres from the house.

When the bug bites or I`ve just had enough of what I`m doing, (weather permiting ), I just take a break and go flying. It could be a couple of times a week or a couple of times a day.

Two solo flights during this last week and today I had a beautifull flight with my 21 year old grand son in the back seat and then I took one of his mates, who had never flown before, for his first flight.

Frank.

• Like 7

My situation is a little bit different to most as my time is my own, I now have three strips on the property and the Drifter lives just 250 metres from the house.When the bug bites or I`ve just had enough of what I`m doing, (weather permiting ), I just take a break and go flying. It could be a couple of times a week or a couple of times a day.

Two solo flights during this last week and today I had a beautifull flight with my 21 year old grand son in the back seat and then I took one of his mates, who had never flown before, for his first flight.

Frank.

You lucky, lucky bugga.............

I am so jealous

• Like 1

Well, I'd *like* to fly once a month (finances don't stretch to much more than that), but work and weather and family circumstances don't always permit. Despite a number of attempts, I too haven't flown since mid Dec, and it's starting to get on my nerves. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

You lucky, lucky bugga.............I am so jealous

Thank you Bryon... Yes!..I consider myself to be, " A lucky bugga " .

To be able to continue flying and to continue introducing others to the magic of flying is a real joy.

27 years flying Ultralights and it never ceases to amaze me that I can walk down to the Drifter and within minutes be up looking down on our beautifull piece of the country.

It`s the one place on earth, where my wories don`t come with me!

Frank.

• Like 2

How long between flights? Too long unfortunately. Since completing the basic certificate I have had a few long gaps in training. What I have done to ensure I am still up to it is do some dual flying and circuits with my CFI before I tackle any solo stuff.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

Wish I could do once a week but am having real troubles getting the time to go all the way out to Caboolture. Might have to rectify this somehow. Likely a move to GA will see me flying more regularly, a shame though.

Guest davidh10

I try to fly two to three times a week, but sometimes weather or family commitments can keep me on the ground for a week or two. Since October I've been attending regular formation training / practise sessions twice a week, weather permitting. 076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif

Of course work gets in the way too, but as I live near both the aerodrome and work, I can usually fly after work in the evening, especially during daylight saving. Winter gets more difficult, time wise, between end of work and last light, but if the aircraft isn't buried too deep in the hangar, I can get nearly an hour.

Today, the aerodrome closed for two weeks for runway widening, so went for a flight Saturday and Sunday in addition to a couple of flights during the week. Put the cover on the aircraft after the flight yesterday 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I averaged for 7 years 10 hrs per month up until may last year as i was working offshore 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, when i started last May a new job at the mines in WA my flying basically went non existant as I was working 2 weeks on and 1 week off and travelling from the eastern states meant i had to leave a day early and used to get home about midnight on my first day off.

Coming home off nightshift took it's toll as I had to catch up with family ect and the weather during my time off was crap.

Finished the mine in Dec last year and now waiting to go to New Guinea on a 28 x 28 rotation, been doing a little bit in that time but nothing like i used to as i am living off my savings currently.

Planning on selling the trike not long after going to NG and buying a 3 axis as I want a sea change, Most likely buy a new J160 as much as i'm not a fan of the engines but you can't beat the value for money.

Then the hrs will rack up once again as long as the donk keeps running.

Alf

It`s a bugger, isn`t it Alf......Need to work to make a living, so there`s no time left to live! 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gifFrank. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Frank,

You got that right mate, to me flying is living and working is just a means of getting enough to live.

Alf

• Winner 1

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

Long time between flights (and a long time between posts). I reckon I've broken a record here. The last entry in my logbook before Monday gone was 19/08/2013. That's a tick over 18 months. BFR out of date, currency down the loo, too busy, all of the usual excuses. Finally got organised and spent a day with my CFI and did the flight review and then spent a couple of hours wandering around enjoying flying. Still on a high four days later. Hopefully I won't wait that long again. Anybody waited that long between flights?

Cheers

Chris