I need a 747

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Anyone know where i can get my hands on a 747 or similar? I'm not fussy on the tail marking or it's age nor do i think the Japanese kids i want to go and get from around those bloody reactors before they finally pop their corks will be either. Breaks my heart to see them on tele with bugger all food water and somewhere decent to sleep. Hell it's minus 17c there. How many gonna go down from that alone? Got a spare room and can committ to looking after one or two of them for 12 months? Can't be done you say? Well it was done in WW2 when they shipped thousands of kids from the UK to Canada and the US. Reckon the logistics are to difficult to pull it off ? Remember the Berlin air lift?

Start firing off emails to the pollies and the airlines. Hell what am i doing wasting my time here? Most you lot don't even bother to vote for the RAAus board election. I'm off to harrass Sir Richard, he must have a couple of aircraft he can spare. He as rich as and always telling everyone how great he is.

Ozzie

BTW if i just snuck out onto the ramp and stole one would they call it theft or hijacking?

Serious ly consider emailing pollies and airline bosses and let them know i'm going to put the word on them to try and do something decent. How's that low life Joyce charging 4000 bucks for a one way ticket out of Tokyo? nice world we live in. onya sport.

Guest Maj Millard

Great idea Ozzie, how many could we get in the Lightwing ?onya.......................................................Maj...

Thanks, ozzie for putting into words what many of us must feel.

The tyrany of distance and uneven distribution...

We are so lucky here, with a mild climate, plenty of everything, oodles of open space, clean air and even wiildlife!

Perhaps the most we can do is offer free holidays for whole families while the mess is cleaned up.

Remember after Chernobyl? Kids were brought here from Ukraine. I don't know if it helped them or not, but it sure made a lot of Aussies feel like we could do something...

Sign me up!

Guest basscheffers

So, a couple of rich kids will now have to live in bad conditions for a few months. What about the millions born into that every year and spend the rest of their miserably short life living like that?

Are we going to move all of those to Australia as well?

I guess they are not on telly right now, so nobody cares...

Guest ozzie

Actually i did not know that by farming rice and being a fisher in a co-op made one rich. It is what most around the reactors areas do for a living. Obviously i'm in the wrong business.

Guest basscheffers

The country is rich enough to take care if its own.

Besides: ask the war time kids what they thought of being separated from their parents and siblings, not understanding what was going on. Not a happy childhood for many of them.

Your heart is in the right place, no criticism there. I just think in this instance it's misplaced.

Bass makes a good point.... Japan is still a very wealthy country & there are still kids sitting under bits of tin in Burma who lost possessions and relatives in cyclone Nargis 3 years ago or cyclone Giri 5 months ago that you might not have heard about. We tend to be most affected by what the media push. I went and found the actual radiation leakage figures and decided (at this stage at least) there is no threat to the health of citizens nearby. In Australia 5 people die every day from solar radiation (skin cancer), in Japan multiple thousands have lost their lives or possessions in the tsunami but the media would instead have us worry about a small amount of leakage which has not claimed one life and is lower than if you or I took a multi-slice CT scan at a local hospital.

"I guess (the millions of poor) are not on telly right now, so nobody cares..." Basscheffers is right about this of course. Should we just shut up shop and not get involved in the world?

"The country is rich enough to take care if its own."

We forget the way other countries have rallied to Australia's aid after our own comparatively trivial disasters.

Japan, more than many rich nations, has a commendable record of giving generously, especially in times of emergency. They sure have worked hard for their relative affluence, but their economy is in deep trouble and the scale of this catastrophe demands we all assist if we can. (If for no other reason than Australia needing a strong Japan for our exports and to balance China's influence.)

When I read that our rescue people who went over there had to walk in and out 20km each way so that they slept out of harms way, but Japan could only supply 1 car for them, I wonder what the powers that be in that hi- tech country are really up to. After the rescue workers went public with their problems the Jap. army came good with vehicles. I wonder why they didn't work out what to do earlier. I think they are a bit like the USA was after the New Orleans debacle. We can't point the finger too much as the deaths at Murphys Creek should have been avoided if people had woken up to the impact of the Toowoomba flood quickly. We seem to go into a state of shock, rather than work out what to do.

Guest basscheffers
our rescue people who went over there had to walk in and out 20km each way

4 hours of walking non-stop each way. Totalling 8 hours per day. Riiiight....

Don't believe everything you read. We know absolutely NOTHING about what is going on there right now. Media has a habit of only reporting only where efforts are failing.