HUMMEL-BIRD

spacesailor

I agree.

V,N,E, 140 Miles p, hour, but can only do 90 mph. LoL

The  Australian  HB powered by Rotax only gets the same (almost rego 19-1945, D, King, ).

Was one to suit the speed merchant,  four pot, two-stroke McCullach motored.

It was on youtu be but I couldn,t find it, the last time I looked.

spacesailor 

A two stroke exhaust destroys a clean design.  Wouldn't a Verner twin be OK? I reckon the work on a 1/2 VW is far more than the concept is worth. The more work you do on a VW the more it shows that you should have started from scratch. Any development of an existing design is compromised by inevitable weaknesses in the original. Many original designs are already on the structural limit in some areas. IF there's  significant "extra" strength in an aero motor it's heavier than it should be  Weight is a real consideration in the aviation application. Jabiru are  on the ball there. Oh by the way don't think of making a 2 cyl Jab . It's already been  tried and because of the extra mainbearing there's too much cylinder offset and it shakes too much. Nev

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I'm really interested in these Hummelbirds also.

I've also been following Pete Plumb's work in the USA on a half O-200 Continental.

He calls it the "Pegasus DP-1" so I guess you could refer to it as a O-100... It has around 57hp, uses continental parts. I reckon the great thing about this engine (not just being Continental) is its balanced nature through the entire rpm range as 'opposed' (pardon the pun) to the 1/2 vw engine in the 2 cylinder configuration. (Not a big deal though).

If it's not too heavy, it might be a good alternative to the 1/2 VW.

What do you guys think? 

http://flypegasuspower.com/wp/specifications/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKb4fkYhFPs

• Informative 1

It has cylinder offset's like the VW. Weight will be your enemy It will possibly require extra counterweighting IT HAS to weight more than 1/2 of a continental 4, 0-200 because the extra parts each end must form part of the whole and the crank will have to be from a billet. PASS. PS couldn't make the link work.  Why not just make the lot and use even better cylinders from something else. Two big pots is going to require a well sprung set of engine mounts. Nev

• Like 1

On 23/01/2019 at 12:11 PM, spacesailor said:

THE FIRST H BIRD VIDEO I SAW:

Spacey,

What was the story with your attempt to get a Hummelbird on a register.  I've come in late on that and only know that yours is grounded.

It's well done and you will note the extra weight on the prop drive flange. 57 hp seems optimistic unless it's stroked The cylinder intake ports are not so well shaped and there's no metal to improve them much as the pushrods are below the motor where the ports are and get in the way., in the original heads and I'd be concerned as to where they are made these days.  It is probably reliable. and a lot more useable than a lot of other offerings.  Nev

• Like 1

I may be a little biased with a thousand hours plus of trouble free operation but the rotax 582 would be my choice over a half 0-200 Continental. Lighter, cheaper,  smoother and just some extra fuel consumption. The exhaust and intake could be modified to fit it all in the cowl. A 65hp rocket ship.

• Like 1

The Hummelbird has a narrow cocikpit ( the diesgner was a small guy ) -  the ultracruiser H5 is a scaled up hummelbird  giving a roomier cockpit -  and uses a full VW ( or 582 I suppose ) IIRC

https://flyhummel.com/h5/

My Hummel Ultracruiser (U/L version of Hummelbird) is quite roomy and as comfortable as any glider I have flown. I am not small. Access is not as easy as a high wing aircraft can be but technique is everything.

"  Why not just make the lot and use even better cylinders from something else. Two big pots is going to require a well sprung set of engine mounts. Nev "

It's all been done before. A Nice pair of Hatley Davison pots. A rotory engine, A tiny four pot . and a Large four pot two-stroke, McCulloch.

=Hummelbird built by Skeet Wyman with McCulloch 0-100-1 engine.

Also it is tailored to your size.

spacesailor