icom IC A200 open mic intercom

i have an A 200 radio and as i am not familiar with it am wondering if anyone can tell me if the intercom function is supposed to have a constantly open mic?

works ok but a lot of noise transmitted as picks up all the ambient noise.

Yes, that's how they work. Most folk opt for a separate, real VOX operated intercom in order to get silence for most of their flight.

• Like 1

I have that system open mike in my Spacewalker II, open cockpit, yes noisy background. But you can use Bose headsets ANR. I have used Bose ANR on several occasions and it’s very quiet compared to my skull inside a leather head cover and goggles. Pax have reported no issues hearing me over the noise nor problems hearing radio chat.

I did find the standard Icom A200 intercom to be functional. That is, it does work. I didn't use a active, noise cancelling headset. I guess that would help reduce the problem. Anyway, I was happier when I installed a vox operated intercom to reduce the noise. Perhaps the Bose headset would have been a nice solution, too.

Try it first, then decide if you require improvement.

• Like 2

If you or a friend are in to DIY electronics it's easy to add a voice operated relay to the intercom mic input. When I installed an A200 years ago I added a $15 kit from Jaycar which worked well. I still have one of these made up kits in my come-in-handy corner. PM me if interested.

• Like 1