If there are huge restrictions of long haul flights, what was this I saw Friday 17 July 10:30 local?

I was in Lane Cove (Sydney) driving. So I couldn't get a picture.

An unpainted A340 was on final for 16 Sydney.

Ok, I didn't get to see him for a long time, but I saw it was a "skinny" 4 engine plane. So it wasn't a Jumbo.

Could be a 707, but I don't think so.

No paint job at all.

Why would "they" be sending an unpainted A340 into Sydney?

It’s a regular military charter operated by Hi Fly , a Portugal registered airline . It’s an Airbus A340-300 and a very common sight in Sydney , using the call sign “ Aussie xxx” . It ferries Australian military personnel around the World .

Dave C

Edited by yampy
  • Informative 1

N

It’s a regular military charter operated by Hi Fly , a Portugal registered airline . It’s an Airbus A340-300 and a very common sight in Sydney , using the call sign “ Aussie xxx” . It ferries Australian military personnel around the World .

Dave C

Nice! are they going into quarantine for 14 days??

• Haha 1

OME, cargo planes usually have their company name on them.

This was B L A N K

I think (can't be sure) Yampy would be more correct.

But on that, I have never noticed them before. Granted I wasn't looking for them, but there again, I DO walk around with my eyes open, so it does confuse me why I haven't seen it before.

7C43C7D4-E083-4F30-9449-7E1916ED5D29.thumb.jpeg.3a2f480ffc2b5a4beebaa8ebd575e800.jpegThis is one of the two A340’s that Hi Fly use around Australia ferrying military personnel around . This is taking off from SYD . As I said they are a very common sight in SYD , they also visit Brisbane , Darwin and yesterday there was one in Melbourne too . This airline also operate A330 and a A380 aircraft in “ normal “ colour schemes and operate on civilian flights .
  • Informative 1

It might have been the one that brought a full load of troops into Melbourne.

it was that very aeroplane that flew into MEL yesterday . It’s sister flew AL Minhad - Darwin - Sydney yesterday .

If the "Aircraft" are available on demand it's not relevant. If you were going to operate it for a long period the advertising would be worth the cost. maybe. Dedicated Gargo is an obvious practice that will increase as most Cargo went in the holds of regular flights more cheaply and more frequently.in Normal times. Nev

N

Nice! are they going into quarantine for 14 days??

Yes they do. All military passengers inbound to Australia do, just the Same as any other pax..

Yes they do. All military passengers inbound to Australia do, just the Same as any other pax..

The military may be just like any other inbound pax BUT it is clear that certain persons (polys/so called essential workers, police, sports people, etc) consider themselves to be immune/above the common herd and have exemptions, thus making a rookery of the quarantine system.