Incident at Point Cook

Ouch and expensive....Piper Chieftan..................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Hopefully, that's why we have insurance for the one's we walk away from!

I had a an Auster, it was in VG condition, had had it for about 13 yrs when it suffered extensive damage, on the ground, in a severe storm.

I did have insurance on it for the first few years but thought I was smart and didn't continue with it.

I may have saved the cost of the aircraft over the years by not continuing with the insurance but that doesn't make the heart break any easier when something like this happens and you don't have it covered.

It was a very sad sight on attending the strip the morning after the storm, couldn't do it the night before because all the public roads around the property were closed due to trees and power down and over the road, also local flooding so couldn't traverse the paddocks to go to the strip.

We had about 8 inches of rain in an hour or so.

It was just a freak storm and also the plane was never left outside overnight but on this one occasion, for reasons I won't go into, it was and bingo it copped it big time.

It went completely over, wing tip over wing tip, pulling steel star picket posts out of the ground, breaking a wing strut in the process and dragging a 1000 litre fuel tank behind it.

I can assure you it was well and trully tied down, in fact probably too well.

It's gone now but it's memory still lives on and so when I see the end result of an incident like the one, in this thread, all the memories come flooding back and I think poor owner, now the hard yards begin.

Rick-p

Guest ozzie

The damage to the gear and the location indicate an induced ground loop maybe. the right gear has collapsed under and the left is splayed out in the opposite direction. looks like a pretty heavy u turn.

The damage to the gear and the location indicate an induced ground loop maybe. the right gear has collapsed under and the left is splayed out in the opposite direction. looks like a pretty heavy u turn.

Yes, Ozzie, and he is right up to the fence near the saltmarsh so the bitumen must be a way off, too.

I saw a newly restored P51 Mustang lose the left main gear there a few years ago. It collapesd just ater a wheeler touchdown. There was a loud bang and clouds of smoke as the wingtip and the prop ground into the tarmac and the whole thing slewed down the runway for some distance. That was expensive!

I got it on camera (my little Sony) but you have to connect it to the TV to see much :-)

kaz

Piper Navajo, last Saturday, ran out of runway so ground looped at the end of 35. She was sitting under the Tower last Thursday with the stbd engine removed. stbd undercarriage badly bent. Port undercarriage drag link snapped causing the splayed "look" but was replaced OK. Stbd wing badly corrugated, some damage to rear fuselage.

Mike