Insurance - Ground cover whilst not flying

Just asking if insured aircraft owners have asked their insurers if they can place their aircraft on ground cover whilst not flying. I used to do that with QBE for my glider, how it worked then was that they accepted reverting to ground cover only during the wet season and this start time and date was confirmed in writing (email) and then when commencing flying again an email was sent to advise that aircraft was returning to flight and they sent an confirming email. When the next insurance payment was due they deducted an amount for the lesser amount when on ground cover. The savings was worth the effort. Cheers

• Like 1

What you are doing is asking the insurer to reassess the risk of events occurring. When my motor bike was off the road for an extended period undergoing an engine overhaul, my insurer was quite happy to reconsider the risk (mainly from using the bike on roads infested with maniacs) and restructure the contract and reduce the premium.

Don't forget that, although the insurance companies hold the upper hand in these contracts, the events covered are always open to re-evaluation, which might reduce premiums.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

• Agree 1

What you are doing is asking the insurer to reassess the risk of events occurring. When my motor bike was off the road for an extended period undergoing an engine overhaul, my insurer was quite happy to reconsider the risk (mainly from using the bike on roads infested with maniacs) and restructure the contract and reduce the premium.

Don't forget that, although the insurance companies hold the upper hand in these contracts, the events covered are always open to re-evaluation, which might reduce premiums.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

That's why I'm putting it out there; may a benefit to some and they may not have considered doing it.

If we're taking it that far, should the RAA offer to suspend memberships and rego?

That's not reasonable. The membership fee pays for the operation of RAA as does part of the rego fee. In normal circumstances, you don't get a refund if you don't go flying for a long time.

If you are lucky to pocket my $ 750 that I paid by PAYG trust to Scomo ........ you can use some of that to balance any unforseen financial disturbances !

• Like 1

Just asking if insured aircraft owners have asked their insurers if they can place their aircraft on ground cover whilst not flying. I used to do that with QBE for my glider, how it worked then was that they accepted reverting to ground cover only during the wet season and this start time and date was confirmed in writing (email) and then when commencing flying again an email was sent to advise that aircraft was returning to flight and they sent an confirming email. When the next insurance payment was due they deducted an amount for the lesser amount when on ground cover. The savings was worth the effort. Cheers

Have just done exactly that. Mine came up for renewal mid-April, so it seemed like a sensible thing to do......

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Have just done exactly that. Mine came up for renewal mid-April, so it seemed like a sensible thing to do......

Cheers,

Neil

Good to hear Neil, just posted in case some did not know about the savings possibility or forgot to do it. Depends on the individuals flying circumstances. Cheers

"Your"RAA just put out a timely "How to prepare your plane for a period out of the air". Just because you aren't "allowed" to fly your plane doesn't mean they aren't working in your interests. They might just be working a lot harder. Nev

"Your"RAA just put out a timely "How to prepare your plane for a period out of the air". Just because you aren't "allowed" to fly your plane doesn't mean they aren't working in your interests. They might just be working a lot harder. Nev

It was such a shame that they opened with:

Oil Change: Get the engine up to operating temperature by taking the aircraft up for one last flight.

otherwise it would have been good

SAFA have issued the following statement:

Insurance:

Further advise received from our insurers stipulates that SAFA insurance policies require pilots to adhere to legal directions or requirements from the various levels of Government. SAFA insurance coverage (all policies) is not valid for operations or activities that breach government directions.

It was such a shame that they opened with:

Oil Change: Get the engine up to operating temperature by taking the aircraft up for one last flight.

otherwise it would have been good

If you have already made it to the airport, you are already in breach, so you may as well go for a quick spin. You cannot be more in breach I suppose ;-)

• Like 1

The Shareoplane came up for insurance renewal a few weeks ago. We decided to put it on ground insurance, but there are (over here) different levels - for example, one level didn't cover vandalism. theft (of avionics, fuel, etc). So, we opted for a higher level of insurance.. And it was sweetened as we found an insurer who said since the pilot who belly-landed the plane has left the syndicate, the risk is lower and you don't need to wait the normal period before we apply no claims discounts. When we are flying again, the insurance will be £1000 cheaper.

• Informative 1

Talk to your broker or insurance company. I did it last year when I had four month’s overseas on holidays.

i emailed the broker my return date and the policy was adjusted.

As others have already stated check what you are covered for First. ?