ipad orientation on instrument panel

Silly question but I haven't done my navs yet so am not familiar with software like ozrunways. I had imagined I would mount an ipad in landscape orientation on the instrument panel but now im not sure. can the software work in either orientation?

Danny it works in either orientation. I guess it depends on a few things:

Where it will fit and what important stuff it covers up.

The angle at which it's mounted; you don't want it reflecting a glarey sky.

If you want a landscape view of the map (which is pretty much what you see out the window) or a portrait view of your flight path.

My panel is pretty busy, so my iPad is portrait mounted underneath, out of the sun and between my knees.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d3f42e3624dfa7efb867a48cdd0981f.jpeg

Placed mine using a RAM mount, as you see the cradle (as photo taken using iPad mini) .

Considerations for me were:

• Ease of access in flight
  • Best viewing angle
  • Minimum obstruction of instruments

My iPad closed down, on temperature, on two occasions . So cut cooling holes in cradle back and later added a dedicated cooling vent directly behind cradle.

IMG_0823.thumb.JPG.ea0e68fba8e34ad7c47364abe661935a.JPG

• Like 2

Above is setup in my Jab. Ipad Mini secured to side window with double suction cup.

Running Avplan in Portrait mode

Hi Roscoe - ever had problems with the suction cups letting go in turbulence/heavy landing ?

Looks like everyone is going portrait. I've set out my instrument panel to hold the iPad mini in portrait but I think there is enough space to go either way. I'll have to check when I get home

Danny I note you're using an iPad mini. When these devices first started replacing paper charts there was much discussion about the minimum screen size allowable. I believe the mini wasn't large enough, but you might get away with it if you have a paper map as backup.

Portrait mode is best as you are more interested on what is up ahead than to the sides. Nav systems often put you in the centre of the moving map but better ones have the option to set you in the lower 1/4 of the screen. You can always move it if you have some burning desire to look back at where you have come from.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Danny I note you're using an iPad mini. When these devices first started replacing paper charts there was much discussion about the minimum screen size allowable. I believe the mini wasn't large enough, but you might get away with it if you have a paper map as backup.

Hi OK,

I've been using AVPlan on an iPad mini for several years (on a kneepad, obviously in portrait mode) and found it to be fine. I always have maps with me too.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Roscoe - ever had problems with the suction cups letting go in turbulence/heavy landing ?

Yes, I changed from a single cup to a double setup a few weeks ago and havent had a problem since.

The previous single cup did bounce off a few times, always at the wrong moment!

Heavy landing????.....whats that haha

• Haha 1

The iPad looks big but is only a mini. It is screwed to the fibreglass inst. panel and adjusts to almost any position, then locked ..... Bob

Just like mine, in a different location.

On Q of location - Bob is your iPad blocking some of your forward visibility ??

Hi Skip, there must be some slight vision impairment In the lower LH corner, but can’t recall it being of concern. Of course, my actual eyeline is about 300 mm above this camera shot, I normally see much more of the engine cowl. But I do like the cooling holes in the mount, and will do similar when weather picks up. Unbelievable here at the moment ( App temp 2.6o C )..... Bob

H...............................................................But I do like the cooling holes in the mount, and will do similar when weather picks up. Unbelievable here at the moment ( App temp 2.6o C )..... Bob

I used a selection of hole saws, & drill bits - be careful twist drills tend to grab & pull in, potentially splinting the plastic (blunt bits are probably better than sharp). An added (very minor ) side benefit, is a lighter mount.

I use a mini in my RV and Pulsar3 with suction mounted as in the jab picture a few posts back. No problems. I covered the surface with an antiglare film. The vent blows close to it so no overheating. Portrait works best I reckon. Old ipad models work just as well. LTE versions of course. Screen fade option on Avplan works well and saves heaps of battery. Just tap screen to wake. CASA accepts ipad mini screen size.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I prefer AvPlan, but OzRWYS not bad either.

I have used it portrait and landscape, but tend to prefer landscape. I'm not flying at 250kts so plenty of time to see far enough ahead to be useful and I prefer the data ribbon orientation across the top. Plus it just fits the available real estate better in landscape.

I also use a RAM mount. They are fantastic. I use one in my truck with a suction cup, but the one in the plane is bolted to the panel.

horz.thumb.jpg.1063473932740d4f43e80286c6495c71.jpg

portrait.thumb.jpg.edf1d16197d10ad17a89abb5c5aba27d.jpg

• Like 1

I splashed our on a Tesco ( super market here in uk) hudl2 running sky demon mounted in the roof of my savannah vg, it’s slightly larger screen and a higher res than a iPad mini but is not compatible with my new lightspeed Zulu headset so I might move to a mini.

My understanding is that an EFB mounted with a suction cup must be removed and stowed for take off, landing, below 1,000’ AGL and in turbulence. While my suction mount is very strong, I take mine off for landing as I don’t need the distraction of it falling on my leg when I touch down.

Yes, I changed from a single cup to a double setup a few weeks ago and havent had a problem since.

The previous single cup did bounce off a few times, always at the wrong moment!

Heavy landing????.....whats that haha

My understanding is that an EFB mounted with a suction cup must be removed and stowed for take off, landing, below 1,000’ AGL and in turbulence. While my suction mount is very strong, I take mine off for landing as I don’t need the distraction of it falling on my leg when I touch down.

Can you advise where this requirement is stated?...thanks

6EFECD72-FE1E-4C43-AFC6-9A8676062088.thumb.jpeg.b0d8c349705cee8797d28d79d4b9c608.jpeg