Is the Drifter Group still active?

Mike b

Is the Drifter group still active? Seems most posts are years old, like me, or I’m probably doing something wrong.........I’ve got a Fisher Drifter and I like reading the old posts.....

Is the Drifter group still active? Seems most posts are years old, like me, or I’m probably doing something wrong.........I’ve got a Fisher Drifter and I like reading the old posts.....

It probably wouldn't take too much to fire it up again.

AS active as you choose to make it!!!!......Franco.  002_wave.gif.38b2eb11a61bb4711f0b1477404692bd.gif

• Like 1

I'm  a bit surprised as well....As there still continues to be interest in the design and active flyers worldwide.

From memory, a few very old threads covering the topic of re manufacture mentioned alot of fabricated parts required and the labour out weighing potential sales costs.

The only way I can see it made new is in a lower labour cost country under "special" low taxation rules devoid of import/export tariffs. I have a few ideas on that.

Ideally with a 4 stroke engine, which I think is possible in this day and age, matching cost, power and weight requirements.(even electric?)

I believe the manufacturing rights are held by an Australian company and they are pretty much just sitting on it?

Interest must have waned,i can't understand how such a simple plane isn't offered as a put together kit,or is it?

colin

One can buy a very very good Drifter or Thruster for only 10-15k now, so thats where the market is. A kit would have 9k in just the 582 and prop.  A 582 with rotax's e-tec would be as reliable and economical as any engine on the market, only available in snowmobiles atm.

Give me an electric setup for my Drifter, that can give me the same performance as my current Rotax 503 DCDI, at a cost roughly equivalent to the 503 and keep me in the air for a minimum of 1 hour and I will fit it at the next engine change... At the moment, it looks like my next engine may have to be a Hirth,  

3202 2 cycle 55hp  

or the, 3203 2 cycle 65hp both engines are free to air or fan cooled!

Franco.

Give me an electric setup for my Drifter, that can give me the same performance as my current Rotax 503 DCDI, at a cost roughly equivalent to the 503 and keep me in the air for a minimum of 1 hour and I will fit it at the next engine change... At the moment, it looks like my next engine may have to be a Hirth,  

3202 2 cycle 55hp  

or the, 3203 2 cycle 65hp both engines are free to air or fan cooled!

Franco.

Aerochute have been working on an Electric model for a while, 30 min flight time. 

https://www.aerochute.com.au/aerochute-electric/

Aerochute have been working on an Electric model for a while, 30 min flight time. 

https://www.aerochute.com.au/aerochute-electric/

Thank You Mike, I wasn`t aware of it!... Hopefully, there will be electric capable of powering the Drifter before I get to old to use it!!!  022_wink.gif.9d61fed85ccaec4ccc17040770c5c601.gif  ... Seriously though, I would go electric!.......Franco.

• 1 month later...
Hi all ,looking for some specs on the drifter mainly is there a max front seat limit, thought I'd read it somewhere once but can't find any reference to it anywhere now.

Cheers 

The A503 manual says

Minimum front seat weight - 69Kg

Maximum front seat weight - 92Kg

The A582SB manual says:

Minimum front seat weight- 65Kg

Maximum front seat weight -95Kg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

my poor old 582 (3,500 + hours, a lot of them spent chasing sheep and checking bores) has been sold as a basket case due to needing a lot of work, including new skins

sold to a consortium of Drifter Drivers, one of them a genius by the name of Manfred.  she's been rebuilt in Boonah and looks like she came out of the factory yesterday

as for a Drifter for me?  at this stage the only one I will be in command of is the 6 foot wingspan radio control model I will build - soon !  with electric power no less.....

I happen to have a nice little 200 metre landing strip in my back yard, so.....

• Like 2