Jabiru different model specifications AU

tillmanr

I have noticed a number of Jabiru aircraft for sale but I cannot get specifications such as weights, speeds and dimensions for many.

Does anyone know a reference to compare all Australian models?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I think the older produced 85 but were still rated at 80.

I have an unused 2001 recon solid lifter that came with its dyno test sheet that showed it produced 85 continuous for the hour on test.

The man at Jabiru told me that this was their best version up until the latest.

Thanks for the info. Are you keeping yr rego unit for a rainy day??

An adjustable prop would easily allow max RPM. I guess Std Jab props are designed to keep the engine within approved operating RPM but plenty of Jab motors are hanging off the front of slippery airframes with adjustable props.

Not many IFA props out there and they are heavy and expensive, Never seen one on 2200

Especially the 4 cyl has vibrations that require damping

For a long time only the timber props would handle this reliably

• Like 1

Not many IFA props out there and they are heavy and expensive, Never seen one on 2200

Especially the 4 cyl has vibrations that require damping

For a long time only the timber props would handle this reliably

Plenty of ground adjustable props? What's the point in having an engine that produces an advertised HP if it can't make it under certain conditions?

Yeah sorry jumped ahead there to IFA

Not many prop options for 2200, none other than Jabiru's is approved and they are pinned to a set pitch

Lots of unhappy stories of non wooden props on 4 cyl Jabiru.

Jabiru's version is fibreglass not Carbon so more flex and damping.

On the 3300 theres plenty of ground adjustable 2 and 3 blade working well

Unless you have a 19 reg you cant fit or adjust them without Jabiru approval.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed a number of Jabiru aircraft for sale but I cannot get specifications such as weights, speeds and dimensions for many.

Does anyone know a reference to compare all Australian models?

Thanks in advance.

Head to the Jabiru homepage and you should have the POH and all manuals available for the whole Jabiru family of aircraft. You can download as many as you need, free!

kg, I think I read somewhere that the Jabiru engines produced more power on the dyno than on the aircraft because the max power was at higher rpm than a prop would allow, but the dyno had no such limitation.

I can't say this worries me at all, but a quoted horsepower figure should be in the configuration as is sold I reckon. Rotax may be worse for all I know.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Bruce, I reckon you are on the money there. The 3300A is rated for continuous power at 3300 RPM which is where the 120 horsepower is developed. It may develop more HP at higher RPM (say 3600-3800) but reliability suffers perhaps due to overheating, over stressing components etc.

The 912 ULS is rated at 100 HP at 5800 RPM but for no more than 5 minutes continuous operation. It is an impressive figure though from an engine of only 1352 cc capacity. I suspect this limitation is to ensure components do not become over stressed or overheated.

• Like 1

If I may be so bold - A significant factor in the appeal of the Rotax 912/914 range is that:

You have full rated power for take off - as with most aircraft engines, nothing particularly unusual about that, but it just means that you get up and away quickly and into a safer altitude.

A big factor for me is that propeller speed is in the most efficient range, as a bonus is also relativly quiet, compared with faster turning props.

Take off power: 5800 rpm Prop speed 2387 - this is cruise (prop) rpm for many LyCons. About 22 L/H at 1500ft/min. Potentially 7000 ft in the 5 mins allowed at this throttle/power setting. I usually throttle back, once I have achieved circuit hight, to a fast cruise climb 5200 usually gives me 90-100 knots at 500 ft/min.

Cruise: I like to be between 4800 & 5200 rpm Prop speed 1975 - 2140. Smooth as, quiet, economical, 12-14 L/H 100-110 knots

Being liquid cooled (for the most part) allows for a "tighter" engine that turns fuel into motive energy more efficiently, which in turn means lower fuel consumption and longer oil change intervals.

• Like 1