Jacobs Well incident 5th April 2020

There's some video on Facebook. Looks like he managed to hit one of the only thick scrub patches in the midst of cane fields and paddocks all round...... Right next to a big power line as well.....

Edited by Admin
  • Like 1

Yes you are correct John, unfortunately at this time, one confirmed fatality and one serious and taken to hospital. The aircraft just didn't make power on takeoff and it was like it was only slightly revving not producing full power. They crashed into trees about 1 km from the runway and never gained enough height to clear the tree line. There were so many other options available including three roads right where they crashed which could have been used very happily for landing. I know they say don't turn back but one of these roads is only about 30° off the runway heading and is clear 20 m either side so it is about five times wider than the runway they just came off. None of it makes much sense at the moment, rescuers were on-site within minutes because they witnessed the takeoff. There was also a small fire. RA-Aus are investigating

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Ah you're correct, that's an old incident....

There's some video on Facebook. Looks like he managed to hit one of the only thick scrub patches in the midst of cane fields and paddocks all round...... Right next to a big power line as well.....

Got some links ?

Edited by Admin

So we are not sure yet of aircraft type? There was mention somewhere that RAAus would be investigating.

Condolences to the family and friends of those involved.

Yes you are correct John, unfortunately at this time, one confirmed fatality and one serious and taken to hospital. The aircraft just didn't make power on takeoff and it was like it was only slightly revving not producing full power. They crashed into trees about 1 km from the runway and never gained enough height to clear the tree line. There were so many other options available including three roads right where they crashed which could have been used very happily for landing. I know they say don't turn back but one of these roads is only about 30° off the runway heading and is clear 20 m either side so it is about five times wider than the runway they just came off. None of it makes much sense at the moment, rescuers were on-site within minutes because they witnessed the takeoff. There was also a small fire. RA-Aus are investigating

Can you advise where the RAAus is investigating comes from? A Thorp stalls well above RAAus limits so I’m scratching my head here on why they would be involved if it’s a Thorp.

• Like 1

Totally baffled! Channel 9 news saying aircraft is carbon fibre which is as dangerous as asbestos??? That’s question one! Thorp T18, if it was that is sheet aluminium, Thruster, I thought anyway is tube and fabric??? Enlighten me anyone?

Another sad day for aviators and the families of these men. Media showed a Pawnee ag type aircraft.

is it a Raaus plane or GA.

There was two crashes in the area toda

Totally baffled! Channel 9 news saying aircraft is carbon fibre which is as dangerous as asbestos??? That’s question one! Thorp T18, if it was that is sheet aluminium, Thruster, I thought anyway is tube and fabric??? Enlighten me anyone?

There were two crashes in the area today, a pawnee and other at Jacob's Well which is most likely NOT A THORP see post #20

• Informative 1

It's not a Thorpe T18. That was a misunderstanding when Thruster88 was referred to as T88 and somehow people started assuming there was a T18 involved.

All the studies I have read about carbon fibre are of the opinion that the carbon fibres are too large to behave like asbestos, but no-on is willing to find out for sure. They do get smaller if they have been through an intense fire, but once again they don't think they are small enough to behave like asbestos, but they get everyone to wear the PPE just in case.

I'm pretty sure the one at Kingaroy is a Cessna ag aircraft, but it does look a bit like a Pawnee.

news report video (never to be believed of course) stated carbon fibre aircraft and an emergency parachute that "failed to open"

firies on site were wearing full breathing apparatus due to "burnt carbon fibre emitting material similar to asbestos particles"

BP