Jet A-1 Cessna 182

Tomo

I'm not surprised .As I read it, the french and spanish have been leaders in this technology for a while. The motor would have to be heavy and I think it runs a flywheel near the prop Might be a torsional vibration damper. When calculating weights and consumption figures remember Diesel and jet fuel are more dense than avgas. Nev

I'm not surprised .As I read it, the french and spanish have been leaders in this technology for a while. The motor would have to be heavy and I think it runs a flywheel near the prop Might be a torsional vibration damper. When calculating weights and consumption figures remember Diesel and jet fuel are more dense than avgas. Nev

Diesels generally burn less fuel mass per hp than petrol, anywhere from 10-20% less. Although diesel/Jet A1 weighs more, you need to carry less for the same range and hp. Having the "excess" mass in the equation fixed as a heavier motor rather than "variable" fuel supply would work to the advantage of most aircraft weight and balance requirements.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time boring holes in racing fuel to make it lighter, but it was never successful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose if the pilot was more dense it would affect the performance too. I don't know about making holes in diesel, but you can make Holy water out of ordinary water by boiling hell out of it Nev

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Diesel is more dense, so heavier, than petrol but you need less of it so there's an equalizer.

We used to use power kerosene in tractors, simple technology, but in those years the engine had to warm up on petrol.

I suppose if the pilot was more dense it would affect the performance too. I don't know about making holes in diesel, but you can make Holy water out of ordinary water by boiling hell out of it Nev

But do you know what you can ADD to a bucket of water to make it lighter?

Take the Diesel/ jet A1 Litres X the SG annd compare it with the Avgas X the SG and it's not so good. Mass of fuel is what the load worries about. Paying for it is another important matter not directly relating to the actual operating of the plane. Fire considerations can be better but not eliminated..Nev

Diesel is more dense, so heavier, than petrol but you need less of it so there's an equalizer.We used to use power kerosene in tractors, simple technology, but in those years the engine had to warm up on petrol.

Not only an agriculturist Turbz, but an ancient one as well!! We still have an Oliver 88 running on the farm, but I try and blank my memories of driving the damn thing. A petrol only proposition these days.

I haven't seen power kerosene for sale for a long time. We used to use it in the firelighters when we were burning off. Remember how it burnt your skin if you let it spill on you?

• Agree 1

• 3 years later...

The engine is plagued with problems, and Cessna has killed this project. They are returning the turbocharged gas 540 engine to the line up soon though. So for those who want a 182, but a Turbo 182 instead of the naturally aspirated model....this is good news.

• Like 1

To make water weigh less, add air. That is how an air-lift pump works. If you inject compressed air down a rising main in a well or mine shaft, the reduced density makes the water rise to the top and flow out of the riser. It isn't the compressed air "blowing" the water, it is just the bubbles reducing the density and making it float up in the surrounding normal water.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1