Just joined from UK

lee-wave

Hello from the UK.  New to the site...

Sad to see the fires raging. 

Operate a Jab ULD in Surrey UK on a private strip shared with an Easy Raider also Jab powered.  Getting to learn about Jab motors cooling etc. and find this site very informative.   

Lived for some years in Melbourne and flew gliders at Bacchus Marsh and Benalla.  Then moved to NZ where I did most of my flying hauling gliders up in PA18, 25. PL12 and Agwagons.  

Will post about an issue on the Jab solid lifter which I think is fixed....also looking for a bigfoot noseleg to fit on my ULD ad posted

Thanks an hope it rains soon on the fires

lee-wave

• Like 1

G'day LW!

I'd ask you where your strip is, but that would be a give-away to Phil and Jerry who are likely to dead-stick in on it, and we want to keep you as a site member for a while yet.

• Haha 1

Welcome, Lee...

I used to live in Surrey - now Somerset.. Used to fly from Fairoaks and now a bit closer to Somerset... The 'Bushe... And occasionally Dunkeswell...

Hope to see you around some time...

Cheers,

JA

Welcome Lee. I never flew in the UK, but have visited plus I spent time in the army in Hants at Borden  and also Wilts at Ludgershall. Visiting again later in this year to Sussex, near Bristol and Wales.

• 2 weeks later...
G'day LW!

I'd ask you where your strip is, but that would be a give-away to Phil and Jerry who are likely to dead-stick in on it, and we want to keep you as a site member for a while yet.

Welcome lee :wave:

My guess is Dunsfold?.

Stay away from Redhill, my nephew flies some quite large R/C models close by. 

I flew from Biggin Hill and Shoreham.

I occasionally fly from Dunks when I need a hit in the Warrior.... Good aerodrome by UK standards. and  only 20 mins from my real house.. Booker is great (esp when it was British Airways FC - as it was a real FC). WHite Waltham is the home of the only real flying club anywhere near London - the West London Aero Club.. but the runways are.. bumpy...

Dunsfold - would love to get it in my logbook, but if onew is not home based, it has a terrible reputation for allowing others to arrive... They tried to turn it into a housing estate. I actually have not looked at Dunsfold for ages...

There are a couple of private strips south of Fairoaks.. .and then there is.. Fairoaks (my fave airfield around that side of town - I am at the Bushe (EGLK), but it is too namby pamby for me..

@derekliston, does Phil fly his own or rent from DSFT (or privately). If there is a private rental there, would love to know.

I occasionally fly from Dunks when I need a hit in the Warrior.... Good aerodrome by UK standards. and  only 20 mins from my real house.. Booker is great (esp when it was British Airways FC - as it was a real FC). WHite Waltham is the home of the only real flying club anywhere near London - the West London Aero Club.. but the runways are.. bumpy...

Dunsfold - would love to get it in my logbook, but if onew is not home based, it has a terrible reputation for allowing others to arrive... They tried to turn it into a housing estate. I actually have not looked at Dunsfold for ages...

There are a couple of private strips south of Fairoaks.. .and then there is.. Fairoaks (my fave airfield around that side of town - I am at the Bushe (EGLK), but it is too namby pamby for me..

@derekliston, does Phil fly his own or rent from DSFT (or privately). If there is a private rental there, would love to know.

As far as I know he rents from DSFT. Last time we were over we had lunch at the restaurant and then a fly in a C152, he also flies a 172 from time to time. He is ‘Phil the Fish’ on Facebook. My first flying lessons in England were BAFC, Airways Aero Association before merger days. Also worked with Tony Bianchi’s personal Plane Services for a while. Possibly best job I ever had, but had to subsidise the pay from my savings, so obviously it was not going to last long term. There is really nothing like Dunkeswell anywhere close to where I live in Qld. If it was possible to fly in and have lunch somewhere, my wife might have more inclination to fly with me.