just joined

RFguy

Hi, My name is Glen, just joined. I live in Canberra these days.. I am 49 yo, a self employed electronics engineer with a youngish family..

My plan is to get my RAAus, RPL+endorsements, buy a LSA etc. I'll join RAAus as soon as the go button is pushed.

My industry background is high end micro and industrial electronics, radio, - aircraft avionics are a doddle ( for me) .

I have a good working day to day background in things mechanical , structural, so doing the maintenance on my LSA will be an enjoyable and satisfying task. I like things that are detailed and serious.

I've done a fair bit of right hand seated GA fixed flying for work and pleasure, and a fair bit of rotary time in G and C airspace.. Familiar with radio procedures . I know you don't want to p1ss-off the ATC op.

A PPL (1500h)+VH registered owner I used to fly with alot has recently stopped flying, so time to do it myself.

I think also I can provide some give-back to the organisation and associates in an aero club on my electronics caps from time to time..

Have been reading and interpreting CAO 95.55.....

As far as I can tell, I can, (but this is only my interpretation! I may be wrong) with a RAaus+RPL + specific endorsements, with a RAaus registered , factory built non modified (or having approved modifications) an LSA with radio and transponder, I can fly in and out of canberra YSCB. ... The thing is, I have never heard or seen a RAaus reg at the airport. Maybe needs to be VH, but according to my interpretations of 95.55, an RAaus factory built 23.xxxx or 24.xxx is OK.

-glen

• Like 3

Welcome Glen, it is a shame there is no secondary airfield close to Canberra for recreational types. Cowra aero club offers training in a Brumby 610, CFI Rob 0427four oh seven three five two. We have a few canberra members.

G'Day, Glen - and welcome to the forums!

I don't know too much about RAA regs, but sometimes an airport may put their own restirctions of the types of aircraft allowed to visit. This can be for many reasons. I checked the Canberra airport site and found the Light Recreational Aircraft/Light Commercial Aircraft conditions of use (https://www.canberraairport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/AVI-LRA-LCA-application-CA-conditions-of-use-June-2020_PROOF-02.pdf) which does no differentiate RAA/GA in their definition of Light Recreational Aircraft. They also have a permit application (https://www.canberraairport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/AVI-Light-Recreational-Aircraft-LRA-Annual-Permit-Application-Form-v1-1-July-19-ID-32225_FA-ID-54766-2.pdf), and although it doesn't further define what they mean, it references CASA as an operator.. There is a customer services number - probably best to give them a call.

Hi Jerry

thanks for the information. Yeah so grass is 3K for rec, 5K for commercial light- includes "all you can eat" in terms of charges. The GA might be moved down the track to the other side of the airport.

* Again highlights the need for a recreational / GA strip for Canberra region*

I don't want the stress of driving two hours to a field before I even get in a plane for a 4 hour flight somewhere.

mutter mutter. Closest other fields are 1 hour drive. (instead of 15 min) .

cheers.

Good grief! Have a look at the Conditions of Use required by Canberra Airport Pty Limited. You'd get a better deal from Satan for your soul. If you accept their conditions, you virtually have no Rights except to park an aircraft on the airport and use the taxiways and runways (but not bad at $2924.36 per annum ($8.00 per day) if you are a permanent).

https://www.canberraairport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/AVI-LRA-LCA-application-CA-conditions-of-use-June-2020_PROOF-02.pdf

Hi, My name is Glen, just joined. I live in Canberra these days.. I am 49 yo, a self employed electronics engineer with a youngish family..

My plan is to get my RAAus, RPL+endorsements, buy a LSA etc. I'll join RAAus as soon as the go button is pushed.

My industry background is high end micro and industrial electronics, radio, - aircraft avionics are a doddle ( for me) .

I have a good working day to day background in things mechanical , structural, so doing the maintenance on my LSA will be an enjoyable and satisfying task. I like things that are detailed and serious.

I've done a fair bit of right hand seated GA fixed flying for work and pleasure, and a fair bit of rotary time in G and C airspace.. Familiar with radio procedures . I know you don't want to p1ss-off the ATC op.

A PPL (1500h)+VH registered owner I used to fly with alot has recently stopped flying, so time to do it myself.

I think also I can provide some give-back to the organisation and associates in an aero club on my electronics caps from time to time..

Have been reading and interpreting CAO 95.55.....

As far as I can tell, I can, (but this is only my interpretation! I may be wrong) with a RAaus+RPL + specific endorsements, with a RAaus registered , factory built non modified (or having approved modifications) an LSA with radio and transponder, I can fly in and out of canberra YSCB. ... The thing is, I have never heard or seen a RAaus reg at the airport. Maybe needs to be VH, but according to my interpretations of 95.55, an RAaus factory built 23.xxxx or 24.xxx is OK.

-glen

Welcome Glen

You realise you will need a PPL and Class 2 or Basic Med Medical Cert to operate in Controlled Airspace

This is in addition to your RAA Cert

Sorry i think you covered this in your first post

Alright . what comes first.

Do I need RAA to participate / do the flying training, or is a typical method to run the flying training and then join RAA?

Find instructor that fits me in a suitable location. I've had a bit of advice on this, either immersion and stay on site/in town, or something close to home that is a short drive ... What's the maximum number of days between steps ? I can do a full immersion but young family I really need to go home regularly for 'optional activities' as the wife sees it...

glen

Alright . what comes first.

Do I need RAA to participate / do the flying training, or is a typical method to run the flying training and then join RAA?

Find instructor that fits me in a suitable location. I've had a bit of advice on this, either immersion and stay on site/in town, or something close to home that is a short drive ... What's the maximum number of days between steps ? I can do a full immersion but young family I really need to go home regularly for 'optional activities' as the wife sees it...

glen

If you start with RAA, I believe you have to join as a temporary member for a short period.

Talk to an RAA School to confirm, or ring RAA.

Your other queries i cant help with, thats your call.

With GA , you will need an ARN number which you can do online,if you go the GA route to start.

Welcome Glen

You realise you will need a PPL and Class 2 or Basic Med Medical Cert to operate in Controlled Airspace

This is in addition to your RAA Cert

Hi Rossco RPL and endorsements will get you in cta. Andy

Good grief! Have a look at the Conditions of Use required by Canberra Airport Pty Limited. You'd get a better deal from Satan for your soul. If you accept their conditions, you virtually have no Rights except to park an aircraft on the airport and use the taxiways and runways (but not bad at $2924.36 per annum ($8.00 per day) if you are a permanent).

https://www.canberraairport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/AVI-LRA-LCA-application-CA-conditions-of-use-June-2020_PROOF-02.pdf

And dont forget the dreaded ASIC if you want to operate into a Security Controlled Airport like Canberra!

• 4 weeks later...

Flew 3h Sun, 3h today.

Today- CFI loaded me up with every conceivable engine failure .. My instinct is nose down it seems above all other instincts.

did more glides also. . and if it balloons (landing) a tiny bit, I dont panic I just let it settle down. In glides- takes a bit to realise just how fast it goes down like a stone and you can easily end up in the drink.

quite important to configure for best glide speed if you have to cover any sort of distance...- it REALLY matters to get that established quick if you are far out, and something like say, straying a bit far from the strip on the downwind (by extending the crosswind) (more reasons not to stray far)

But was enjoyable, LOVE doing stuff like that. Hard work, and unforgiving implications, first couple of glides were I was short was a real lesson !.

Doing much more flying by looking out of the plane now. Much more, Got my depth perception sorted out on landings, no more aircraft carrier style landings . Although one of my flapless glides- judging the flare from a steep descent is tricky..

I love the lush damp grass cross strip. like landing on a sponge. bit of power helps in the flare, then when established in the round out, cut to idle and let it sink and feel the nose etc. That roundout short float time seems useful for correcting for a bit of yaw

Had a grin on my face when we finished today- I feel I now have a good toolkit of 'get out of trouble' options.

16.3h. still managed to mess up the circuit a bit on the first flight of the day., south TO and less familiar circuit path ..

got smacked by a " I dunno what" bit of air at one point. it can be nasty up there in the middle of a warm day. got rolled and yawed about 10 deg a bit and counter aeleron input didnt really fix the roll straight away. then ended up over correcting, yaw the other way, golly. was level and minding my own business.

Had lunch with Thruster88 !

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

Flew 3h Sun, 3h today.

Today- CFI loaded me up with every conceivable engine failure .. My instinct is nose down it seems above all other instincts.

did more glides also. . and if it baloons a tony bit, I dont panic I just let it settle down...... in glides- takes a bit to realise just how fast it goes down like a stone and you can easily end up in the drink.

quite important to configure for best glide speed if you have to cover any sort of distance...- it REALLY matters to get that established quick if you are far out, and something like say, straying a bit far from the strip on the downwind (by extending the crosswind) (more reasons not to stray far)

But was enjoyable, LOVE doing stuff like that. Hard work, and unforgiving implications, first couple of glides were I was short was a real lesson !.

Doing much more flying by looking out of the plane now. Much more, Got my depth perception sorted out on landings, no more aircraft carrier style landings . Although one of my flapless glides- judging the flare from a steep descent is tricky..

I love the lush damp grass cross strip. like landing on a sponge. bit of power helps in the flare, then when established in the round out, cut to idle and let it sink and feel the nose etc. That roundout short float time seems useful for correcting for a bit yaw

Had a grin on my face when we finished today- I feel I now have a good toolkit of 'get out of trouble' options.

16.3h. still managed to mess up the circuit a bit on the first flight of the day., south TO and less familiar circuit path ..

got smacked by a " I dunno what" bit of air at one point. it can be nasty up there in the middle of a warm day. got rolled and yawed about 10 deg a bit and counter aeleron input didnt really fix the roll straight away. then ended up over correcting, yaw the other way, golly. was level and minding my own business.

Had lunch with Thruster88 !

RF Have you been solo yet?

There's no rush to solo. it's not a race. Don't over complicate it. Your intense interest in all the things happening must not distract you from the essentials of attitude awareness and the adjusted responses in the flare and hold off, where you won't be looking at the airspeed all the time, if at all. Ground effect makes a stall less likely to make a wing drop once you are near the ground.. It will stall if the stick's right back. Practice go arounds besides the ones you do after you have landed to save time backtracking if the runways long enough. FLY the plane. At this stage just work with your Instructor. HE will know what you need, Nev

• Like 1

Absolutely agree Nev. I've been told to read up and get ready for an air leg exam soon... I hear people that have gone up and solo at 12 h. They must have incredible aptitude (or not).

But, also I have read, heard and known about people going solo, without having done flapless glide approaches , engine failure in circuit, TO etc . There is no reason to go up solo so early. You might as well do all those things in dual and get your flying hours up. I would think that the more flying you do the better. No hurry.

16.5h I think so far.

Also. When I get back in the car , I must NOT drive down the centre line of the road !!!!!

RF - The automatic landing system on these RAA aircraft are simple to use - subject to runway or strip length .

To get the auto land system working simply fly the aircraft down to where the wheels are two feet over the runway. Then just hold the two feet height with power off and till speed washes off. The aircraft will land automatically. Simple......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi SSCBD. yeah that's pretty much what I do. - you pretty well described it .

(if not already) , little bit of power (3000 out of 5100 max) on the brumby entering the flare, then once the flare is established, power to idle and down it goes.

of course there are many combinations. come in with more airspeed, then idle in the flare and wash off the airspeed in the flare (IE use up airplane momentum for the flare deceleration maneuver) .

That's what I do in the glide approach, but that's slightly more tricky to get just right at my experience level. bit more judgement .

the glide (powerless) approach is an important tool and I think a good one to practice regularly.

Glen.

• Like 1

Plenty went solo in eight hours but with all over fields (land into wind) and no radio. Light Signals from the tower. It was also a hang over from "forces" training where you just failed the slow ones. The Red Baron wrecked 3 planes during training. Wrecked a lot of enemy ones later. Solo hours are good for consolidation and self confidence. Dual gives more info and extension of experience and the assurance that if it goes pear shaped the guy over there will save it. A lot of solo with some people just let bad habits creep in. The human mind always tries to save energy. Cheat at exams and cut corners(skip checks). Thinking uses energy.Nev

Glides approaches are awesome judgement exercises.

I have flown with some helicopter pilots who did auto-rotation landings pretty much every return back to the pad. They figured that this maneuver needed to be bullet proof and the only way to ensure that was doing it all the time.

IMO (my 16.5h flying opinion LOL ) pilots should do the exercise whenever it permits. Now, in circuits , sure going out of circuit formation is uncool (say from downwind leg) , but still a reasonable exercise from somewhere in the circuit.

You only get one go at it. tendency I find is if NOT short , is to be a bit high but then ensues a fast descent toward the end when you know you have enough distance, and slightly high, --and then the judgement comes on the flare, since you are probably coming in a little overspeed due to needed increased descent rate....at ~ >=700 ft/min , sure flaps can go out when you are sure- but not too late , my CFI advised/ cautioned against deploying all the flaps suddenly at a couple of hundred feet AGL due to the nose down pitching generating heightened risk, .... and you need to bleed that descent rate off in exchange for dropping airspeed. but too much ! oh the judgement. oh the judgement.