Just Landed

SteveD

I am in Somerset in the UK (South West). Up until Friday, I have a share in a TB20 near Farnborough. While I was working in London it worked out well (except it spent 6 months in for a bare metal respray, which was most frustrating), but as I live c. 200 miles from the airfield, it is not practical.. .So am looking for something.. With the COVID crisis, I am holding off purchasing; Love TB20s and TB21s, but there aren't too many on the market, and those that are are way overpriced and under-loved.

C182s are a great and versatile machine and a lot of people don't realise they have slightly better numbers that SR20s. So, once the clouds over the economy clear a bit, I will be looking at those, Dakotas (though not a fan of single doors anymore), PA32 Cherokee 6 300s/Lance, or similar. A mate over here, originally from Toowoomba, has a later mode C177RG.. they are cracking aircraft, too. I am thinking of crossing to LSA as within the UK, suitably equipped LSAs can be used for instrument flying.. but while they are good from some European countries we have reciprocal agreements with, they aren't good for all without bureaucratic faff. .. and you can't instrument fly them in any other European country.

Way back in 1996, which was my last year in Aus before first emigrating, I worked in Traralgon servicing Morwell and Hazelwood power stations. Occasionally flew from YMMB to YLTV to go to work (lived in Melb), although in winter had to go rent a unit as I was only VFR... Still have a whizzwheel I bought from La Trobe Valley Flying Club.. good, solid metal thing... still use it, too!

Yeah I really like the 182, it’s a 1960C model with the straight back, It can be converted to a tail wheel 180.

Well it’s a small world for sure , I have my own tip truck and work from Traralgon every day. I’ve also worked at all the power stations and have been learning to Fly at LVAC ha ha

It’s a good little club.

I will have to look up TB20’s, I don’t know much about them.

My girlfriends boss has a Glassair III, it gets along pretty good

Hi SteveD, Welcome from another 182 owner, bought mine then learnt to fly it to gain my RPL for access to controlled fields and longer trips with more pax. I love getting air time in it when Wx and work permits

cheers

clinton

Bloomin nora.. getting envy here.. Anymore C182 owners here?

Glassairs very sleek and sexy...

If you google N20TB, and ignore the AAIB report on the belly landing as it wasn't me, that is my shareoplane until Friday. The cockpit photo you can see is outdated - the LHS (whcih you can hardly see) is still analogue; the RHS is digital and we have replaced most of the avionics.

• Like 1

He would have got a bit of a fright when he touched down,, nice looking plane tho.

Hi Clinton

I love the 182, did most of my training in the 172 and it’s really noticeable how much better the 182 is to fly. I’m due to do my RPL flight test , past my exams before Xmas.

• Like 2

Straight tail 182 good machine. I wouldn't worry about converting it to tailwheel, will cost you a lot of dollars (25K+) even if you get cheap parts. A 180 is no more capable than a 182 except for an extremely rough airstrip. I worked out of Latrobe a bit summer before last on fires, busy place that doesn't seem to have changed much in 40 years.

Welcome Steve.

Like most people I like the old C182. Very stable and capable. I haven't flown one for years, restricted to the Corby Starlet, which is rather different. I also flew with Latrobe Aero club, years ago, I worked for a very short time building one of the chimneys there. Did a lot more flying from Grovedale and Lovely Banks.L

Hi there thanks

Yeah they are very stable. I look forward to getting more experience and doing longer trips. Who was CFI when u guys were around the valley

• 3 weeks later...