I bought an already-flying KR2 years ago. Brilliant little aircraft - emphasis on the little. Flew wonderfully. At 6'5" I flew with my head tilted inwards though.

They are cheap to build & quite cheap to fly for the performance you get. But if I were building one now, I'd omit the factory retracts, install the Diehl fixed gear, and make it a KR1.5, a slightly narrowed KR-2 flown as a roomy single-seater. Two average Aussie blokes havent got much chance of fitting in a stock KR2.

• Agree 1

Have you ever read Mark Langford's extensive web pages?Links to other builds as well.

Mark Langford's KR2S

Yes, been trawling through it for the last few hours at CorvairKR’s advice, my next issue is what’s required to take over a project that has been commenced by someone else.

It's a Kr2 as opposed to a KR2S. That means very small and short. That undercarriage is woeful. Buying this would lock you into building the old unmodified design that nobody builds any more.

There has been a KR2S on Ebay for a while with boat built and lots of other gear for $3600.

It's a Kr2 as opposed to a KR2S. That means very small and short. That undercarriage is woeful. Buying this would lock you into building the old unmodified design that nobody builds any more.There has been a KR2S on Ebay for a while with boat built and lots of other gear for $3600.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a bog-stock KR2, but I agree the original retract undercarriage is a marvel of simplicity even if not ergonomic and particularly sturdy.The main difference between a -2 and the -2S is the tail moment, being further back in the -2S makes it more stable. If you mainly fly solo (keep MTOW under 900lbs) and install a good armrest to minimise PIO, a standard -2 is very pleasant to fly. Light, responsive and fast.

Push the weight up, don't consider CG, and you'll notice it-for the worse. Also, bear in mind, with the stock header tank, CG moves aft during flight and can put you outside the envelope on landing. Not a nice place to be in an already short-coupled plane.

For the amount I’m paying I’ve no issue with it being a standard 2. But am I reading wrong that some on the KRnet pages have added an extra bay essentially giving them the S??

Yep. Before the -2S was official, many builders did that off their own bat.IIRC this was first publicly recommended in the Neil Bingham article as a way to reduce pitch responsiveness. I didn't find mine overly twitchy, but then, I never flew with a passenger.

I did experience PIO on my first few takeoffs but quickly learnt to adapt. A good armrest to fly by wrist, rather than arm, action would have solved that early on. The total stick movement for maneuvering in the KR's is very small.

• Like 1

So according to the current owner there are at best incomplete or bare to non existent build logs available, so based on that my guess is it’s pretty much pointless as CASA wouldn’t approve it. No idea of the glues etc used along the way so just a big old can of worms...

1F38EB39-719B-4810-98E8-CE724293986D.png.35a4eea956b34fd6575e5149481aec49.png

Hi All,Just wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this project that was for sale recently, and anyones experiences with building a KR-2.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152829296152

I built a Kr2s,started in 2003 first flight 2005 sold it 2008.

It was my third aircraft project.

Lovely flying plane. Fast,120 kts responsive and easy to fly.

Now finishing a Thorp T18.

Go to YouTube and look for West Australian Kr 2s video by the guy who bought it from me.

Cheers

Ken

Will do thanks Ken, I’ve since learned it was a deceased estate and no builder logs so not sure if that means its a no go now ‍♂️

I built a Kr2s,started in 2003 first flight 2005 sold it 2008.It was my third aircraft project.

Lovely flying plane. Fast,120 kts responsive and easy to fly.

Now finishing a Thorp T18.

Go to YouTube and look for West Australian Kr 2s video by the guy who bought it from me.

Cheers

Ken

I'm not sure how it all works but I rang the SAAA technical officer recently and was told I can start building my plane without informing anyone. There are no longer any stage inspections so who's to know who built what? Maybe call SAAA and ask to speak to him, I think his name is Norm. Nice helpful fellow.