Lancaster NX 611 Restoration to Flying Condition.

Phil Perry

I visited this aircraft in 2017. Trully magnificent, although doubt the airworthy/flying aim as it was stated at the time it would be flying by now. East Kirkby is also a 20km drive from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby.

One of the best days an aviator could wish for!

• Agree 1

What a great day it would be to get the BBMF Lanc and this one flying together , and even better to get the CanadIan one too flying in formation . Three Lancs , 12 Merlins , what a sight and sound . Meks the hairs stand up on the neck ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I visited East Kirkby two years ago and watched the Lancaster do her run ups then a taxi run. The seats on the taxi run were by invitation only requiring a substantial donation it seemed. Beautiful noises from the Merlins.

I can recall talking to an old Dutch businessman, a pump engineer, in the early 1990's, who endured WW2 as a youngster in the Netherlands.

He told us how they would watch the bombers go overhead from the fields, they would appear to fill the entire sky. They'd appear in the morning, and go back in the afternoon.

Obviously, this was later in the War, after D-Day, when the Americans had huge bomber numbers available and the Luftwaffe was becoming feeble.

Many sites speak of 1000-bomber raids, but the British were only able to sustain 1 x 1000 bomber raid - on Cologne in 1942.

But the Americans sustained numerous 1000-bomber raids. The sight of a sky almost totally filled with bombers must have been overwhelming, particularly for a young person.

Of 7377 Lancasters produced, 3932 were lost in the War - more than 53% of them. And we must never forget the more than 55,000 brave Lancaster crews, who died in them.

• Like 1