Landing incident On the Gold coast

I'm sure you meant to put "landing incident" - not "landing indecent". A landing with his pants off, would have been "landing indecent". :cheezy grin:

That was a very good emergency landing, kudos to the pilot. I wonder what caused the main landing gear to become partially detached after takeoff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hunsta, I assume that incident occurred today, March 3. It has been requested a number of times that the date of any incident be included in the thread title so that others know if it is a new or old thread, and so that multiple threads are not created for the same incident.

I'm sure you meant to put "landing incident" - not "landing indecent". A landing with his pants off, would have been "landing indecent". :cheezy grin:

That was a very good emergency landing, kudos to the pilot. I wonder what caused the main landing gear to become partially detached after takeoff?

OOOPS!!????

Hunsta, I assume that incident occurred today, March 3. It has been requested a number of times that the date of any incident be included in the thread title so that others know if it is a new or old thread, and so that multiple threads are not created for the same incident.

A thousand pardon effendi. I did mean to add that.

Thread title has been fixed - Admin

Edited by Admin

Guest Machtuk

Pr

Good landing and hold off technique. It's probably a Cessna RG , They have a weird retract action that has to be right. Nev

Probably? I'll guarantee it was???

Funny how skills are lost over time. Failing to lock down was a regular fault and the fix was easy. Engage Autopilot, climb over into the rear seats, open the door, grab the shoulder harness, lean out, loop the belt around the leg and pull it forward until it locked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mentioned this years ago on this Hallowed Forum ( Thanks Ian )

I had a 'Two Greens' U/C indication on downwind for Blackpool airport (UK ) The aircraft was an 'Oldish' PA28 R200 Arrow 3. I aborted the approach and ATC suggested a fly by at low level in front of the tower so that they could have a look.

They confirmed that my right Main wheel appeared to be fully down, but the gear door was missing. I just didn't have a green light to indicate down and Locked. Longer story shortened, I landed 20 minutes later with a rescue vehicle following me, but the Undercarriage remained fully deployed.

That was the ONLY ever Gear indicator lamp failure that I have ever experienced in 49 years of defying Gravity.

• Like 1

That was the ONLY ever Gear indicator lamp failure that I have ever experienced in 49 years of defying Gravity.

I'd think your heart would be pumping.

Usually in Australia, by the time a pilot has called an emergency, done the flypast, burnt off fuel etc. the scanners have picked it up and the TV Crews are no site ready to film the landing, and in all the ones I've seen, gear up (including an F111), nose up, one main up two main up, I've never seen an aircraft badly damaged. The twins look amazing grinding along there on their nose, but no flips and no ground loops.

• Like 1

I'd think your heart would be pumping.

Usually in Australia, by the time a pilot has called an emergency, done the flypast, burnt off fuel etc. the scanners have picked it up and the TV Crews are no site ready to film the landing, and in all the ones I've seen, gear up (including an F111), nose up, one main up two main up, I've never seen an aircraft badly damaged. The twins look amazing grinding along there on their nose, but no flips and no ground loops.

To be honest Turbs,. . I really WAS Crapping myself there, as I'd got Three Pax, including a Pregnant one,. . .so Technically four pax. .. Added to this was the fact that I had previously hired the same aeroplane for more than twenty flights to and from the Isle of Man, (usually for the TT races,or the Manx Grand Prix ) and it was always in good order and very well maintained, albeit fairly old and well used.. . (( I believe that it is still on the line today. . ))

The thought of having to get them all out of the cabin in a hurry, in the event of a crappy landing filled me with dread, especially the pregnant one, who was a last minute addition to the passenger manifest. . .

And in the case of THAT particular Piper airframe, . . with only ONE bloody door to exit the scene, and a fairly large passenger in the right hand seat; this added to my stress somewhat . . .

I was very glad that this course of action was not required in that instance.

• Like 2

As an adjunct to the story; I had hired the aircraft from Halfpenny Green airport, some 120 NM South of Blackpool, I was just dropping of 'pregnant Lady' on the way. .

I had to hire a battered looking C-210 to complete the journey, otherwise wait for 24/48 hours to continue, as there was no maintenance service available on a Sunday afternoon. . . and no other 4 seat hire aircraft available. . .

And after having previously experienced problems in the past ( In Australia ) with C-210 retractables,. . I was, rather less than enthusiastic. . . ! ! ! But it all worked out OK.

I was the archetypal 'CAPTAIN WORRY'

• Like 1