Landing Lights change to LED

Roscoe

Has anybody done this?

I was thinking of replacing the standard issue light globes with LEDs as I’ve been told they use much less power and are brighter.

Also wanting to change the switch wiring so that both (I have one on each wing) come on when turned on instead of the standard left or right system.

I’ve also been told that LEDs may interfere with Radio. I have Wingtip strobes which don’t cause any Radio interference.

Appreciate advice thanks

• Like 1

I have LED strobes and they use less than half an amp (6 watts). The flash controller is in the wingtip. There is no radio interference.

Aviation LED landing lights usually are less than half the wattage of incandescent lights with much higher lumens. Manufacturers of incandescent landing lights quote the candle power or candellas which is the concentrated power not the light output. For example a 100 watt PAR36 has 1500 lumens & 60,000 peak candellas compared to a 45 watt LED which has 4500 lumens & 65000 peak candellas. The only reason for radio interference is due to poor installation. Follow the manufacturers installation procedures and you won't have problems. It may not just be a matter of replacing the bulbs as often LED landing lights have switchable settings such as a Wig Wag function, both on or L/R on.

Apart from reduced power requirements LEDs don't suffer from vibration issues so last 50,000 hours or more so will outlast the airframe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's not a simple matter of taking an incandescent bulb out and replacing it with an LED. The first thing you need to check is if the LED light assembly will fit into your existing landing light assembly. Look at the many shapes of LED assemblies at the start of this video:

Also there are a lot of different methods of positioning the LED in the light stalk. There's a lot of hype and false advertising in the LED headlight market. The mob that made that video seem to be presenting the information honestly.

Just another question. How long are your landing lights turned on for? If they are only used during take-off and landing, that's only a few minutes at most. The aircraft manufacturer designed the electrical system to cope with the high drain a 150W spotlight would cause. Sometimes the correct answer to a perceived problem is to leave well-enough alone.

Replaced my halogen with LED. Very easy. Found the right diameter on ebay.

Made bracket and fitted.

Replaced 2 position toggle switch (on/off) with 3 position. Routed the 3rd position to a LED flasher unit from Jaycar. (On/off/flash)

It is reported to be extremely bright.

Edit: to be clear, I'm talking landing light so may not be relevant.

Edited by Downunder

Roscoe I totally agree with KGWilson's advice; replacing my halogens with cheaper LEDs means I have mobs more light from my limited spare current. No radio interference.

This was a doddle for me with my 19- Reg, but I have no idea of the legality in other registration categories.

Roscoe I totally agree with KGWilson's advice; replacing my halogens with cheaper LEDs means I have mobs more light from my limited spare current. No radio interference.

This was a doddle for me with my 19- Reg, but I have no idea of the legality in other registration categories.

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and quick responses.

Just to clarify, I have 2 standard lights, one on each wing strut on my Jab. These are not real bright, and I only use them for tkof and landing for visibility in poor light and the busy environment I operate in.

They are not used for night landings as I operate day vfr only.

Seems s simple switch change to illuminate both lights at once.

The existing light assembly seems to be a simple “Downlight” arrangement which is exactly what I have seen at Bunnings Aerospace, however I will have a close look and see how I go.

• Agree 1

It's not a simple matter of taking an incandescent bulb out and replacing it with an LED. The first thing you need to check is if the LED light assembly will fit into your existing landing light assembly. Look at the many shapes of LED assemblies at the start of this video:

Also there are a lot of different methods of positioning the LED in the light stalk. There's a lot of hype and false advertising in the LED headlight market. The mob that made that video seem to be presenting the information honestly.

Just another question. How long are your landing lights turned on for? If they are only used during take-off and landing, that's only a few minutes at most. The aircraft manufacturer designed the electrical system to cope with the high drain a 150W spotlight would cause. Sometimes the correct answer to a perceived problem is to leave well-enough alone.

Thanks OME.

• Agree 1

Great video OME - my thanks. I dont have any lights on my aircraft. They are great fun but not so practical on a VFR only RAA aircraft. My land based transport will benefit from this information however.

One minor point of disagreement - other than land based modern transport where the computer gets upset if you "mess" with current draw, older vehicles and small aircraft wiring systems dont give a damn about current draw, up to & including the max permissible rating.

I fitted LED globes to my nav lights just a few weeks ago. Globes are bayonet type and went straight in.

The increase in brightness was phenomenal.

Now question: I have twin Hella spots for my landing light. Does anyone know if an LED replacement Is available?

Thanks

...Seems s simple switch change to illuminate both lights at once.

The existing light assembly seems to be a simple “Downlight” arrangement which is exactly what I have seen at Bunnings Aerospace...

Roscoe if you want to be seen, this neat little unit from NZ is worth considering:

https://www.sparxfly.co.nz/2014/sparxfly_acc.shtml#wigwag

I installed one and it has no trouble driving a pair of small, cheap eBay driving lights, similar to these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-4-inch-Work-Lights-CREE-Spot-Flood-LED-Light-Bar-Reverse-4WD-12V-24V-Spread/274035042852?hash=item3fcdc2ea24:g:NqMAAOSwvxBeBykn

They are a huge improvement on a crappy set of "aircraft LEDs" I got out of America.

I run them thru a rotary switch with three settings: landing light (both on), strobe (a quite effective alternate flicker) and wig-wag (one on, then the other).

I currently have them mounted on my undercarriage as an interim measure, but I plan to recess them in the wing leading edge, as far apart as possible to maximise the Wig Wag effect.

Although I've received plenty of assurances that they won't run hot, I'm a bit concerned at sealing them in front of a wood and fabric wing without ventilation holes.

Has anyone had experience with overheating of this sort of unit?

I fitted LED globes to my nav lights just a few weeks ago. Globes are bayonet type and went straight in.

The increase in brightness was phenomenal.

Now question: I have twin Hella spots for my landing light. Does anyone know if an LED replacement Is available?

Thanks

Aeroled produce drop in replacements for standard PAR 36 landing lights, both certified and non certified. You can probably get bulbs for your Hellas unless they are sealed beam type but be wary and get the good ones as per the video OME posted. If they are get the model number or diameter and search on line.

• 1 month later...

Lookup the local Aussie company Flyleds at Flyleds – Lighting kits for Van's RV aircraft I experimented with off-road LED lights and they produced intolerable radio/intercom interference. I fitted these to my Arion Lightning for a fraction of the cost of what you see coming out of the US (see attached pic). Wigwag option is available too, with about 8 patterns to choose from.

IMG_3528a.thumb.JPG.103718eec322e6056c0442ba85cb52d8.JPG

Lookup the local Aussie company Flyleds at Flyleds – Lighting kits for Van's RV aircraft I experimented with off-road LED lights and they produced intolerable radio/intercom interference. I fitted these to my Arion Lightning for a fraction of the cost of what you see coming out of the US (see attached pic). Wigwag option is available too, with about 8 patterns to choose from.

Thanks for that info.

Ive now replaced my landing lights with LEDs from Bunnings and no issue with Radio interference with lights on both Wings.

• Like 2

I Bought aerolites Taxi and Landing from online (ebay i think) They fitted straight into standard holders, same screw joiners on rear. My Ampmeter use to go ballistic the moment i turned any lights on with the generator and pop the fuse if on too long. Now needle sits still, people can see me miles out when coming into airfield in daytime. I feel a bit safer being visible with such bright lights.

• Like 1