led strobe lights

I used the Kuntzelman strobes. Xenon brightness and only about $200.00 for the base unit and two wingtip lights.

Scott - they are very low on brightness unlike the whelens or others which use a magnifying lens, but cheap.

Gareth - there are other LED types around for approx $130 + each tip NOT requiring a base unit and only draw .5 of an amp 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif pm me if you need to know more.

Jake J

Thanks guys for the response the Aveo leds are very expensive (the slimline) about $300 per wing tip there are others but they are also expensive and dont suit what we require ,can we use other types /application and also what about the sender unit can they be purchased locally and at a reasonable price

Cheers gareth

I have been in the process of making my own. Pretty much all done except I have to get the mold and the clear casting resin. I am using 2 of 20 watt cool white LEDs in each wingtip and I have made my ow n switching interface to do whatever pattern I like..just program a small pic micro...wig wag or some other flashing pattern. The LEDs draw 1 amp for each pair at 18volts each they are in series . I just use a boost converter about 5 bucks on eBay 12v in and 36v out. Will finish them shortly after I finish the cg changes I have done to the plane

• Haha 1

Hi Gareth

We used Aveo "Powerburst" wing tip lights (3 in 1). The whole kit was a little under $400. I was watching our plane on the ground from the other side of the field yesterday, and even though it was very sunny, they looked quite bright.

Cheers Jeff

• Like 1

Hi all,What's the rule regarding wing tip and tail strobes? Are they mandatory under VH and RAA registrations, or just a preferred option?

AFAIK there are no rules for day VFR for strobes - not required but anything that makes you more 'visible' to other aircraft IMO is good.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Jake J

Hi all you aircraft builderswhat type of wing tip strobe lights are used for your projects ,any info appriciated

cheers gareth

Hi Gareth,

I don't know whether this will be of any interest to you, and I don't think that there is an Australian distributor for this stuff, but my mate Paul is the UK rep for AVEO ENGINEERING who supply led lights for internal and external use to aircraft manufacturers worldwide. they display at all of our light aircraft shows in the UK, and sell the whole range, from lLight Sport Aircraft to Boeing lights. The nearest concessionaire I think is AVEO malaysia, have a look on the Aveo Engineering main Website and it will give you the nearest supplier, and you can have a look at their products. They have just written the spec for aircraft lighting in the USA ( They didn't have one before this ) FOR LED aircraft lights for the FAA and U.S. Military. Their lights are are supposed to be the brightest and longest lasting in the world. Their words, not mine, . . . read up on it. In the meantime, if you can get some local products then this might be a less costly way to go.

Kind regards,

Phil

PS, No,. . . . I don't get a commision . . . I just have a curry with the guy once a week !!

I don't get it - thought rec flying was about lower costs, now we're talking about 900 bucks for strobes:insane: I've been using the bright LED ones $130+ for IFR aircraft too - however nothing beats looking out the window IMO 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Jake J

• 4 years later...

I've had these for a few years without having any issues with them.

Axixtech HAL09 Led Hide-Away Kit

Golf ball size with the heat sink doubling as a panel mount & 19 patterns.

Inside the lenses, there a 3 triangular panels that hold 3 x3w diodes each,and that

forms a prism so the light gets out in all directions, where as most LED strobes

are only bright if you look at the diode straight on.

Hi all you aircraft builderswhat type of wing tip strobe lights are used for your projects ,any info appriciated

cheers gareth

I think you should ask yourself, why do you want wing tip strobe lights ?

As a day VFR aircraft/pilot (Australia) you are not required to have them.

(Please Note: my comments on enhanced visibility expectations relate to day VFR conditions - poor visibility, dawn/dusk are not day VFR)

There is little evidence that strobes significantly improve the "visibility" of a flying aircraft for the pilot of another flying aircraft.

Seen from the ground, strobes would seem to increase the visibility of an airborne aircraft.

The addition of strobes adds complexity to your aircraft systems for little benefit other than bragging rights.

LED's certainly give similar performance to older technology lighting systems at a fraction of the current draw, less weight and potentially much longer service life.

Any off the shelf ,compact, streamlined, LED system, that will give similar light output performance to older systems, will start from about $1,200 Au (non certified).

The addition of any system(s) that bring questionable benefit to aircraft performance and/or safety should be viewed with a large dose of scepticism.

(A good transceive,concise timely & informative radio communication will do a lot more for your aircraft safety and standing as a pilot )

I think you should ask yourself, why do you want wing tip strobe lights ?As a day VFR aircraft/pilot (Australia) you are not required to have them.

(Please Note: my comments on enhanced visibility expectations relate to day VFR conditions - poor visibility, dawn/dusk are not day VFR)

There is little evidence that strobes significantly improve the "visibility" of a flying aircraft for the pilot of another flying aircraft.

Seen from the ground, strobes would seem to increase the visibility of an airborne aircraft.

The addition of strobes adds complexity to your aircraft systems for little benefit other than bragging rights.

LED's certainly give similar performance to older technology lighting systems at a fraction of the current draw, less weight and potentially much longer service life.

Any off the shelf ,compact, streamlined, LED system, that will give similar light output performance to older systems, will start from about $1,200 Au (non certified).

The addition of any system(s) that bring questionable benefit to aircraft performance and/or safety should be viewed with a large dose of scepticism.

(A good transceive,concise timely & informative radio communication will do a lot more for your aircraft safety and standing as a pilot )

While I agree that often you can't see the flashing lights until you see the rest of the aircraft I still work on the principle that you should have a bit of everything working for you.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

While I agree that often you can't see the flashing lights until you see the rest of the aircraft I still work on the principle that you should have a bit of everything working for you.

I would not discount wing strobes so easily as some seem to do in this thread. Safety is often made of many components and layers: strobe lights are just one potential safety factor. Even if one in-flight incident could be avoided by someone else seeing the flashing LED, it will be all worth it.

• Agree 3

A good strobe could well save you from a disaster. I have had a near call with a radio equipped aircraft in an MBZ. If he had a strobe I could possibly have seen him earlier, as it was he shot across in front of me at about 200m distance. I managed to contact him by radio and he admitted his initial transmission had been on the wrong frequency. It was only his sighting of me that woke him up to the wrong frequency.

• Like 1

I don't disagree - however when we as pilots make the decision to get in an aircraft & leave the ground, we do so knowing that it might be a little less risky to keep out toes firmly in contact with terra firma.

Those of us who fly experimental aircraft with one engine, accept even more risk and so on and so on.

My point is this - fit LED's by all means (they look great), at whatever cost your budget will allow, there will be some (small) level of enhanced safety in doing so, there will also be greater risk of fire, increased weight (small I grant you) increased demand on your electrical system (again small but like weight, cumulative). Recognise this is essentially an esthetic enhancement, as the safety benefits are so insignificant that the aviation authorities in most (possibly all) western countries do not require them for day VFR

A guy has flashing LED lights on his plane and he is visible for miles before you see the plane. Much better than the halogen crap I have.

In this day and age everyone (who wants/needs ) should be using LED navigation (& probably landing/taxi) lights.

• 3 years later...

Three years since the last post on this thread and things have moved on a bit.

I have the oldschool glass jobs, but they don't seem very bright at all in daylight.

Any recommendations for LED wingtip strobes?