Legend

cscotthendry

image.jpg.c5d4a439be1c7850d3d4a1611ab1b20b.jpg i've just purchased a new plane. I went to Europe to see and fly it because there are none in this country ... Yet. I'm hoping mine will arrive in August. It's called Legend and made by a Czech company called Aeropilot. The local distributor is Silent Wings Aviation.
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark:

I don't have the final price yet. We're waiting for the dealer to finalise the costs for shipping and handling. We looked at a few of the composite LSAs and comparing "ex factory" prices, the Legend is pretty competitive and (IMHO) a lot better looking. like anything else, the price reflects how you configure it. The more bells and whistles, the more you pay.

You can get it with or without the chute, we chose to not have a chute in ours. It saved us a fair bit of money and weight and rescue chutes aren't as popular here as they are in Europe. The chute adds about $4,000 and 15kg to the price and weight.

Depending how you get it built, the BEW comes in somewhere between 290kg up to 340kg. The one I bought is the Legend 600 which is supposed to be a 600kg LSA. So the carrying capacity is still pretty good even with the 100L of fuel on board. In Europe all their ultralights are restricted to 472.5kg MTOW, but a lot of the aircraft manufacturers design their planes for the LSA market in the US and elsewhere.

BTW, because we're buying this, our beloved Nynja had to go on the market. It's listed on the RA Aus website and the price IS negotiable. But, we are NOT selling the Nynja because there is anything wrong with it. Far from it! If we could afford to have two airplanes....

I fully understand about having to sell the Nynja...unless your name is Packer or Hancock its pretty hard to keep a couple of aircraft. I hadn't seen this aircraft before it looks quite nice and very roomy. I am looking forward to seeing it when it comes.

I am hoping we get the weight increase to RAAus then I will be off to the USA to check out the Vision they have just about got their kits ready now. then it would be great.

Mark:

We already have the increased weight limit via RA Aus. I was looking to bring in an LSA as a distributor and investigated the registration process. It has to be done on an airplane by airplane basis. The manufacturer fills out a Statement Of Compliance (SOC) on CASA form 681 and then a CASA inspector gives the airplane a certificate of airworthiness and you should be good to go. Should be. Apparently there is some additional bureaucracy to go through for the first of type, that I never discovered. But (as far as I know) the procedure I outlined is all that's required for LSA status.

Mark:We already have the increased weight limit via RA Aus. I was looking to bring in an LSA as a distributor and investigated the registration process. It has to be done on an airplane by airplane basis. The manufacturer fills out a Statement Of Compliance (SOC) on CASA form 681 and then a CASA inspector gives the airplane a certificate of airworthiness and you should be good to go. Should be. Apparently there is some additional bureaucracy to go through for the first of type, that I never discovered. But (as far as I know) the procedure I outlined is all that's required for LSA status.

You can bet there would be a substantial monetry fee involved as well. I think someone told me about 3 grand for the compliance.

I understand about your Legend and the 600kg... what I was referring to is the noises going on to maybe get RAAus up to 750KG instead of 600 as this then opens up a whole different range of really good aircraft. Also allows big fat buggers like me to have a bit more room in their aircraft

• Agree 1

Whatever the fee is for any "first of type" issues, that will be met by the dealer. I have a fair bit of confidence in these people, as they have treated me very well and have not shown any tendency to penny pinch. For a straight up LSA registration there is a CASA fee for their inspector to look at the aircraft and issue a certificate of airworthiness. I believe that will apply to all LSAs brought in if they are customised to any degree. If however the intention is to get a type certificate for these planes, then that entails "first of type" processes and that's for the manufacturer and dealer to cover the costs of.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I wasn't aware of the moves toward 750kg! That would really threaten the GA industry. A significant number of owner/pilots are already moving from GA to recreational flying because of the maintenance and compliance costs, to say nothing of the recurring medical requirements with ageing pilots.

From my little knowledge, I understand that the GA industry (apart from micro airlines) is now mostly just populated by students wanting to make a career of aviation. Private aircraft owners are deseerting GA in droves and this has been accelerated by the SIDS issue.

I know when the LSA stuff up with the columbian aircraft all came to a head all importers had to get their paperwork in order and I know even the Savannahs had to get some paperwork done and some fees paid

yes Scott GA is way too expensive. There is a push to get RAA up a little in weight which of course opens up a stack of options for people and aircraft. The RPL fiasco is just that and if you want to fly a C172 then get a GA licence because CASA have made it impossible for most via the RPL route. There are a few threads about this now and it is getting some momentum. 750kg is still only half the weight of the RPL so it keeps it in the realm of RAA we just have to convince CASA

for the costs and weight penalty involved id be more than happy to have the chute in the aircraft especially if the mtow is 750 kg however they may never eventuate so i would have to plan on the 600mtow and eat more salads i suppose

• Informative 1

Is it just me, or does it bear an uncanny resemblance to the C172?

Kinda funny how other companies can make Cessna look a like fly better than Cessna could blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Is it just me, or does it bear an uncanny resemblance to the C172?

To a Reporter it looks identical to any Cessna.

Its a Cessna 175 (scaled) apparently, a sense of familiarity is not a bad thing for the company though and probably intentional from the outset.

Found a site that says 65,000 Euro.

Mark:We already have the increased weight limit via RA Aus. I was looking to bring in an LSA as a distributor and investigated the registration process. It has to be done on an airplane by airplane basis. The manufacturer fills out a Statement Of Compliance (SOC) on CASA form 681 and then a CASA inspector gives the airplane a certificate of airworthiness and you should be good to go. Should be. Apparently there is some additional bureaucracy to go through for the first of type, that I never discovered. But (as far as I know) the procedure I outlined is all that's required for LSA status.

Hi Scott,

In the latest March edition of Sport Pilot magazine in the Tech Talk section by Darren Barnfield there is a very good explanation of what a LSA is, it is worth the read..

David

Yes it does look like a 182, it was designed that way.

http://www.ultralight-aircraft.org/photos/exterier/album/#Legend_7.jpg

The pic from the manufacturer's website shows two Legends and a 182 in the background. Personally, I think it has better lines than the 182.

• Agree 1

Wing struts look a bit crooked though.

Actually, Mr Cessna would have done better to do it like these folks. Attaching the strut near the landing gear means one less heavy hardpoint and the Legend is actually easier to get into than the 182!

• Like 2