Light aircraft missing Moreton Island

JEM

I am so sorry to hear about this and send my sincere condolences to all the families and friends... I watch the planes take off from Caloundra whether they are for pleasure or training or sky diving or aerobatics. I enjoy seeing them fly over the Passage.. I'm not a pilot although I have enjoyed a few fights when I was in Scotland at Cumbernauld.. To cure me of my fear of flying in the passenger planes.. It did the trick.. 

A 1978 Cessna 182Q, VH -WNR. As far as I know there was no severe weather at the time. The call was calm & collected but it would appear only seconds from disaster. The debris was spread over a wide area according to reports indicating a high speed impact. A mechanical failure of some type perhaps.

A 1978 Cessna 182Q, VH -WNR. As far as I know there was no severe weather at the time. The call was calm & collected but it would appear only seconds from disaster. The debris was spread over a wide area according to reports indicating a high speed impact. A mechanical failure of some type perhaps.

Water will take debris everywhere.  Even at a slow glide it would be above 70kts or so... so anything is going to be high speed I guess.  ?  Sad again - just too many.

• Agree 1

A Cessna 182P rego VH  WNR was destroyed in a crash near archerfield on 8/8/2006. (ATSB report 200604514).  Was this new accident to a replacement aircraft?

I looked up the radar loop history at the rough time of 4.20 pm Tuesday  and there was a big lot of storm rain cells come thought that beach area right at the some time . I would have cloud to the ground at that point .   

• Informative 1

Police divers have found the wreckage of the Cessna in 36M of water, N of Moreton Island,, but there's no sign of the bodies of the pilot and passenger.

I'm guessing the aircraft broke up substantially on impact, and the bodies were flung out. I don't know what the chances are of finding the bodies, more than a week after the crash.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/police-divers-locate-plane-wreckage-off-moreton-island/11911588

Your news item was correct, but I doubt very much it would have been the woman passenger from the Cessna. I'd have to hazard a guess it was more likely a drowning at a Hervey Bay beach.

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/news/womans-body-found-at-hervey-bay-beach-in-queensland/news-story/fdd908bce769632561636303546fe617

• 2 months later...

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2020/focus-on-data-and-components/?fbclid=IwAR02TA848dKDwUHrCbKFHJVidudwBA3HxEVB1-XBb6EYkOPuaDOvBA68pe8

More questions than answers at this stage. First amongst these being, what was he doing descending while heading out to sea? Most people climb to just under the step to cross the bay there, which gives you the option of gliding clear other than for a shortish section in the middle.

One other thing, Dan111, the accident happened on Wednesday 22/01 and the relevant radar loop shows no signs of bad weather.