Lockdown Projects

Bootstrapper

Just been flying my Dixielander and my fav, a hybrid Playboy ( wing ) with enlarged Dixielander fuse and tailplane.

These are 1950's designed free-flighters, I use radio ( rudder/elev/throttle) to keep from having them land miles away in the scrub.

I'll take a pic or 2.

• Like 1

Just been flying my Dixielander and my fav, a hybrid Playboy ( wing ) with enlarged Dixielander fuse and tailplane.

These are 1950's designed free-flighters, I use radio ( rudder/elev/throttle) to keep from having them land miles away in the scrub.

I'll take a pic or 2.

Smart thinking; Once I had mine trimmed for a shallow glide it would climb at about 3 degrees and usually finished up in a tree or some inaccessibe paddock on the rare occasions the engine started.

• Like 2

Thats the electric rc assist Dixielander. The longer nose is to hold the battery, and anyway for some reason, rc requires a more forward c of g. I recommend electric turbs, you can do air restarts for as long as you like trying to find a thermal. And no oil to clean up.

Yep its not very authentic but its very relaxing to fly. The front yard you see in the pic is big enough to fly models ... I once made a strip of 550 m to land the Jabiru . This scared me with the Jabiru but its plenty big enough for models.

• Like 3

I've got a 27 Meg, a 36(?) Meg and a 2.4G radio and lots of servos. Unfortunately I've only got fuel engines and they are a No-No in the local park.

I had a nice foamy glider with an electric motor (old type) that I could launch off a local hill for some slope soaring, but the ESC burnt out. I reckon SWMBO would go ballistic if I spent money on a new electric motor and ESC. My regret is that I never completed building my 40c powered CAC-13. I've got all the wood for it, and the engine bulkhead with offset engine mount. If this lockdown continues, I might toy with the idea of building it.

• Like 2

OME, stuff is lots cheaper now. Check out banggood and hobbyking. Yep chinese I know but good and cheap.

Radios are better too.. I have a telemetry set where the reciever has a built-in vario and so the transmitter beeps when the model glider is in lift.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I need the motor and ESC to put in a corflute flyer like this so I can learn to fly in the park next-door. Don't forget, emus can't fly, but they can run to the wreck faster than anyone else:oh yeah:

1587264862617.png.c28d217d2b926135891f74227b95f04e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

OME,

Check out HobbyKing, they have a Sydney store so if in stock it should arrive quick. HK store or China have bigger range but might be a big wait.

SWMBO, can be assured so little money will keep you sane and out of the house.

$40 would be a reasonable budget all up.

Much better value than a case of beer and more fun.

• Like 1

I use carbon infused nylon. It's specific density is a little over 1. The parts have to be redesigned to take advantage of nylon/carbon features. Steel .050 inch can be replaced with 0.250 inch nylon/carbon with a honeycomb centre of 30%,-40%. What really has to happen is that every printed part has to be re-engineered to seeing it can be replaced.

• Like 1

Can't go flying at the moment so I have dusted off the stalled model builds. Working on my Balsa USA Third scale Super Cub and started on the strengthening mods on the Falcon 120 prior to fitting my gas start King Tech K-80 turbine and gear.

WayneIMG_20200412_111607475_HDR.thumb.jpg.6a27feef14676dfb4016d74de9d0707f.jpgIMG_20200412_110740223_HDR.thumb.jpg.d261735442f71e2aada9315587f7d44f.jpgIMG_20200412_110821828_HDR.thumb.jpg.5753d12867b6c110061549c9f96ed166.jpgIMG_20200412_110806358_HDR.thumb.jpg.eb7555936d626df1b8d1031d67870a6e.jpg

Edited by WayneL
  • Like 2

Long while since I've done much of that. It looked like costing nearly as much as the real thing, so I did the real thing instead and never went back. I've always had motor bikes and I like sailing. .Nev

• Like 2

It looked like costing nearly as much as the real thing

Two of the 'sit in' ultralights I have owned cost me less or approx the same as the turbine and associated model and accessories!! :cheezy grin:

Wayne

Edited by WayneL
  • Like 3

Now where to start?? This is about 10% of future projects, I think they are breeding!?

My sort of room! Can't have enough backup projects at times like these!

Wayne

• Like 1